Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thoughts on these Gretzky Autos?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
An autograph hound I know (my wife's cousin) chases Gretzky whenever he's in town. He has a ton of cards and 8x10's plus a jersey from each of his teams all signed in person. Some of the autos look similiar to a couple of the ones posted. They were obtained outside an event or hotel when Gretzky just scribbled his name as he walked by. They are legit because they were obtained in person, but because of how they look they'd probably never pass authentication and are pretty much unsellable.

So the ones you're asking about could all be legit and just look terrible. Personally I'd stay away from them.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 LTE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Thanks for the relies. I know this is not a hockey-heavy board. I personally consider myself pretty knowledgeable on Gretzky autos, since I've owned several hundred certified ones. FYI all of the above ones are from Leaf "cut signature" products, and are all currently being offered on Ebay. I too doubt any of them would pass certification by PSA or Spence. Obviously a Gretz auto would represent a "big hit" from any card product; I'm very surprised any manufacturer would use such questionable/poor signatures in a product that costs 3-figures for a box.

aceecards

Jul 13, 2012
I have gotten gretzky in person, the top one is possibly the only legit one of the bunch. Even in passing Wayne is very distinct and doesn't scribble much unless you hound him maybe. the problem with the top one is it almost looks as an additional letter was added between the w and y.making me suspect even the legitimacy of it!

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
I met him when i was a little kid and he signed Wayne G. This was also when he didnt sign cards.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
Actually, when I saw the pics on this thread I knew these were in sports icons..

These were from signed magazine pages that were already PSA certed..
They were acquired from Mill Creek Sports and originated in the wild collection of a very serious in person collector..

While I appreciate all-stars mentioning me, he is unfortunately (for him) wrong..

All PSA certed and ill stand behind them (as they will)... BG

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Actually, when I saw the pics on this thread I knew these were in sports icons..

These were from signed magazine pages that were already PSA certed..
They were acquired from Mill Creek Sports and originated in the wild collection of a very serious in person collector..

While I appreciate all-stars mentioning me, he is unfortunately (for him) wrong..

All PSA certed and ill stand behind them (as they will)... BG
Really Brian, but could you have bought any cheaper, weaker Gretzky autos? Surely you retained the PSA papers, please post em up cause I can't believe they'd authenticate any of that garbage. And regardless, you of all people should know a quality Gretzky auto from a terrible, questionable one. If you're making a "high end" product why use the cheapest, illegible autos you can get your hands on, particularly of the biggest hockey hit in there? Read through the replies in the thread, these sigs suck. There's no denying that.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
They are vintage in-person sigs signed on thin magazine pages... If you want a 2010 auto form a sit down signing, buy a UD card.. These are VINTAGE...
My issue is with your insinuation we would not authenticate the signatures...

Might I suggest you go back to worshipping Topps, since you could care less about unlicensed anyway...
BG

P.S.- PSA certed these when I was present!

bmc398

May 25, 2009
They are vintage in-person sigs signed on thin magazine pages... If you want a 2010 auto form a sit down signing, buy a UD card.. These are VINTAGE...
My issue is with your insinuation we would not authenticate the signatures...

Might I suggest you go back to worshipping Topps, since you could care less about unlicensed anyway...
BG

P.S.- PSA certed these when I was present!

Doesn't mean they are real, or desirable. It's their opinion....my opinion is that they look like crap!

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Doesn't mean they are real, or desirable. It's their opinion....my opinion is that they look like crap!
Exactly. You'd think BG would acknowledge that. He used them because they were cheap. Like he said, if you want a quality Gretz auto, buy UD, not this crap...

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
Allstars... I appreciate you editing your libelous post...

Some people want a 2010 sit down signing signature where he signs 1000 pieces..

Some people want a 1980's vintage signature that has character because it was before the time of autographed mass produced signed cards..

To each their own...
BG

Quick observation: This forum has always had the problem of a handful of guys who criticize anything some collect and they don't or like anything they don't like... It gets old and people don't really care what you think.. Focus on your own collecting..

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008

And your opinion is great for you, but honestly doesn't matter to anyone but you (since you are neither a gretzky expert nor the voice of the hobby),....

We all know you have had a bias and dislike for me ever since the Razor days..
Isn't it maybe time to get over it?, life is too short... BG

Last edited:

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Allstars... I appreciate you editing your libelous post...

Some people want a 2010 sit down signing signature where he signs 1000 pieces..

Some people want a 1980's vintage signature that has character because it was before the time of autographed mass produced signed cards..

To each their own...
BG

Quick observation: This forum has always had the problem of a handful of guys who criticize anything some collect and they don't or like anything they don't like... It gets old and people don't really care what you think.. Focus on your own collecting..

Some would say that it's a checks and balances system, not a "problem".

bmc398

May 25, 2009
And your opinion is great for you, but honestly doesn't matter to anyone but you (since you are neither a gretzky expert nor the voice of the hobby),....

We all know you have had a bias and dislike for me ever since the Razor days..
Isn't it maybe time to get over it?, life is too short... BG

Ok, so now I found the post behind the PMs you sent my way. Here is my response....

First, yes....we had some disagreements about the Razor prospects stuff. I was unhappy about how it was handled.

But....we spoke in 2011 at the FCB national and I thought we were past all this. I made it clear there was no grudge and even complimented you on the great job you had been doing with the Leaf brand, Ali stuff and the like. Clearly no ill will there.

If you go back and look, I made the comments about my thoughts on the Gretzky autographs BEFORE I knew they were your cuts or had been put in the product. My comment about the sigs had nothing to do with you, your company, your product or anything of the like. I am sorry that you interpreted them that way but that was clearly not the intent. I think the autographs outside of 2 of them are poor examples of Gretzky autographs. Again, just my opinion....but one that was stated independent of any affiliation you might have with them. It was not an attack at you, Leaf, exec cuts or anything of the like.

I take YOUR comments as a slap in the face....as clearly you don't know much about me. I actually had EVERY SPA Hockey RC Auto from 99-2011....So id classify myself as a pretty big ex-Hockey collector (I stopped when the Thrashers packed up and left ATL). I have pack pulled 2 Gretzky's and own 2 others....so no, I am not an expert but I also know what his autograph and subtle variations look like.

Again, no grudge....and my posts in this thread werent directed at you specifically or your products....just to the quality of the Autos presented.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Ok, so now I found the post behind the PMs you sent my way. Here is my response....

First, yes....we had some disagreements about the Razor prospects stuff. I was unhappy about how it was handled.

But....we spoke in 2011 at the FCB national and I thought we were past all this. I made it clear there was no grudge and even complimented you on the great job you had been doing with the Leaf brand, Ali stuff and the like. Clearly no ill will there.

If you go back and look, I made the comments about my thoughts on the Gretzky autographs BEFORE I knew they were your cuts or had been put in the product. My comment about the sigs had nothing to do with you, your company, your product or anything of the like. I am sorry that you interpreted them that way but that was clearly not the intent. I think the autographs outside of 2 of them are poor examples of Gretzky autographs. Again, just my opinion....but one that was stated independent of any affiliation you might have with them. It was not an attack at you, Leaf, exec cuts or anything of the like.

I take YOUR comments as a slap in the face....as clearly you don't know much about me. I actually had EVERY SPA Hockey RC Auto from 99-2011....So id classify myself as a pretty big ex-Hockey collector (I stopped when the Thrashers packed up and left ATL). I have pack pulled 2 Gretzky's and own 2 others....so no, I am not an expert but I also know what his autograph and subtle variations look like.

Again, no grudge....and my posts in this thread werent directed at you specifically or your products....just to the quality of the Autos presented.
He's just skating around avoiding the issue as usual. He used the crappiest & cheapest Gretz autos he could find for his second-rate unoriginal product. If people would just stop buying into his grab-bags eventually he will go away, big head in his hands. What a sad excuse for a businessman...

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
He's just skating around avoiding the issue as usual. He used the crappiest & cheapest Gretz autos he could find for his second-rate unoriginal product. If people would just stop buying into his grab-bags eventually he will go away, big head in his hands. What a sad excuse for a businessman...

I appreciate your thoughts. Although your criticism if my business skills is clearly shortsighted/uneducated.

BG

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
As someone who has made a hobby out of "the crappiest & cheapest" cuts available, I don't understand the vitriol regarding these Gretzky cuts, but I guess it just extends from whatever preconceived notion regarding Brian. The fact is, everyone (including Brian, Leaf, etc.) would prefer a pristine Gretzky autograph but that's simply not practical. It would add little (if any) additional value to the product or specific card, but only drive up costs.

I can't venture to guess how many customs I've done that were personalized or on ugly pieces of paper...but without question, those autographs are best suited for cut cards.

Members online

Latest posts