Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2013 Bowman... What's your take so far?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RandomH

What do you guys feel about the product so far?

Personally I like the design this year, very nice compared to last year IMO. I don't like how they don't have "First Year" up in the corner. Instead it just says "Bowman Chrome" Kind of annoying if you ask me.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
IMO, too much design. Doesn't really look like a Bowman Product.

Dislike how hard it is to read the players name on the base.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I like the Purple Ice.

I don't like the same thing, where there is no '1st Year' on the card.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
I made the stupid decision of joining group breaks instead of purchasing individual cards, for the 11 cards I've got from the group breaks (only one blue refractor, nothing better), I could have bought over 40 base, 15 refractors, seven blue, four gold or the purple on eBay at current prices.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
I like the minis and reprints as inserts. I also like that the rookie autos are in shorter print than previous years.

I think the prospect checklist was average at best.

TopOffLikeWALLACE

Feb 11, 2010
HouStros
I made the stupid decision of joining group breaks instead of purchasing individual cards, for the 11 cards I've got from the group breaks (only one blue refractor, nothing better), I could have bought over 40 base, 15 refractors, seven blue, four gold or the purple on eBay at current prices.

And the white man get paid off of all of that...

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York

I hear you

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I find it odd that the purple REFs have better retail odds than the base refractors. Being numbered /199, you have to imagine that Topps pushed the purples to retail.

I haven't done the math yet, but it seems weird.

jaydub

Jun 18, 2010
Arvada, CO
- prospect minis are nice and since they are more or less the better 5 prospects from each team they are better sources of value than typical prospect refractors (especially when those are not numbered)
- quality control is excellent. Very few off center, no warping, minimal scratching
- good collation - was able to make complete sets
- good checklist however, many of these are wait and see guys so rip and flip especially with large print run is ill advised
- strong rookie auto checklist - compared to normal rookie autos this is the best checklist I can remember
- white ice 1/1 parallels are nice new chase cards

Dislikes:
- large print run and large number of breakers means the base auto market is pretty flooded so prices aren't great - good for buyers, bad for sellers who want to recoup now.
- Checklist is good but risky in that many guys are wait and see which means long time to hold and potential for flameouts
- non auto color is somewhat rare.
- Topps 100 design is sorta blah
- Bowman prospect challenge code cards are practically worthless

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
People arent spreading money around and guys like Buxton are selling too high out of the gates. Also people are paying more for 2013 bc rc autos than the real rc of that playet

hohlernr

Dec 1, 2012
Michigan
I am soooo glad that I decided not to purchase the 6 cases of Jumbo that I previously planned on doing (ended up buying a house instead lol). I have to imagine that all breakers are just getting destroyed on this product. Like others have said Topps ran the presses on this one. You're lucky if you get a blue auto in a case of hobby. For comparisons sake I busted 6 hobby cases of 2012 draft and pulled 2 orange autos, 4 gold autos, 4 blue autos and 14 refractor autos. How many cases of 2013 hobby would it take to get all that...10 or so?

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
The auto rookie set is too big and way too many marginal and scrub type players. Anyone breaking this product just cant be happy

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
There are two guys who I am targeting as low-end (read, $5ish for a base auto) prospects. Other than that, I bought three blasters out of general boredom/weakness. that might be it.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Gotta compliment topps on it.

In terms of fun, its awesome with all the inserts, parallels, minis, etc.

In that aspect, its similar to their base set.

But most people look at it financially, completely opposite of how they look at topps base.

Thats the problem, theres nothing wrong at all with this set, unless you are in it 100% for fast profit.

MGiuseffi

Aug 22, 2008
I really like some of the tweaks this year. That said, they really printed waayyyy to much of this stuff. Roll the print run back on the hobby so you can get some color in a case.

Sent from my LG-C800 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
Only bought 5 jumbo boxes...I got 1 non-auto'd gold refractor /50, and 1 blue ref auto and it looks like I should consider myself lucky for that!!!

Even if they were the same price I believe i'd still rather have a case of 2012 Draft than 2013 Bowman jumbo.

Members online

Latest posts