Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Play at 1st last night during Mariners vs Yankees game..........

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Last night during the Mariners vs Yankees game there was a play at first base where Felix Hernandez and another Mariner were both standing on the bag and there was a bit of a collision. If I were the base runner and there were two people on the bag, especially the starting pitcher standing on the middle of the bag with his back to be, I would have ran as hard as I could, lowered my shoulder, and delivered the hardest impact I could have right square in the center of his shoulders.

How do you think that would have been perceived had that actually happened?

Especially if one of the two standing on the base were hurt?

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
That would have been deemed "bush league" and resulted in an ass whoopin.

Just my opinion.

What's the runner supposed to do in that situation? Just stop running and concede the out? Run up to the bag and slow down while approaching and just tap it with his toe and skirt around the two morons who don't know what they are doing?

CAROLINA BOSOX

Aug 12, 2008
Goose Creek, SC
What's the runner supposed to do in that situation? Just stop running and concede the out? Run up to the bag and slow down while approaching and just tap it with his toe and skirt around the two morons who don't know what they are doing?

The runner should try to get to first as best he can without "lowering his shoulder" and drilling the starting pitcher. If contact is made, that's understandable b/c 2 players were standing on the bag. But if you make it obvious that your intent is to hurt the other player then that will result in problems.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
The runner should try to get to first as best he can without "lowering his shoulder" and drilling the starting pitcher. If contact is made, that's understandable b/c 2 players were standing on the bag. But if you make it obvious that your intent is to hurt the other player then that will result in problems.

I have to respectfully say........screw that.

If there are two people blocking the base path, someone's getting the hammer dropped on. You don't see too many players wuss out and try to go out of their way to avoid a catcher blocking home plate. No, the runner goes all freight train, lowers his shoulder and tries to take the catcher out. And in this instance, if there are TWO players blocking first base, I say it is fair game. Because what else is the runner supposed to do, give up? I could see a fight erupting if the runner took out the legs, but not if the impact comes high. That's not dirty. The player standing on the bag shouldn't be there in the first place and should expect the collision if he is.

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
I have to respectfully say........screw that.

If there are two people blocking the base path, someone's getting the hammer dropped on. You don't see too many players wuss out and try to go out of their way to avoid a catcher blocking home plate. No, the runner goes all freight train, lowers his shoulder and tries to take the catcher out. And in this instance, if there are TWO players blocking first base, I say it is fair game. Because what else is the runner supposed to do, give up? I could see a fight erupting if the runner took out the legs, but not if the impact comes high. That's not dirty. The player standing on the bag shouldn't be there in the first place and should expect the collision if he is.

That'd be a pretty big fine after the ensuing fight from doing something so idiotic.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
That'd be a pretty big fine after the ensuing fight from doing something so idiotic.

What's the runner supposed to so instead of running through the bag then?????

Is he supposed to just give up?

With two people standing on the bag both trying to catch the same baseball, odds are it will be bobbled, maybe dropped. If the runner gives up, he is conceding the out, even if the ball is dropped and picked up. If he just runs through the base, no matter who is standing on it, he has a good chance of being safe. The umpire isn't going to call interference on the runner if he knocks the ball away from a person standing directly on top of the bag. I don't know the exact rules here for this situation, but it would be stupid for the base runner to do anything other than what I am saying. He would be in the right 100% of the time.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
First off, as a player, you have some class and you have respect for other players. He was going to be out anyway, so no, you DON'T lower your shoulder and plow into him, especially when you know it's the other teams' star player. What he did was right, he pulled up to avoid any major collision with Felix. It's not like Felix was intentionally standing in the runners way, if they felt he had intentionally done it (or would have been safe), the player would have been called safe, regardless of the outcome of the play, since the runner has the right to the baseline. This is exactly why you don't see players plow into other players when they get into a rundown ... Respect for other players.

Second, had that actually happened, because it was Felix, the other eight players on the field, and 16 in the dugout would have pounded the living crap out of the you, knowing you just intentionally did that to the teams star player.

Lastly, you think if someone had intentionally done that to Jeter, the entire Yankees dugout wouldn't have gone ballistic?

EDIT: For the record, I just realized that Overbay WAS called safe due to interference after Girardi argued (and rightfully so). So even more proof how unnecessary it would have been to plow into Felix.

Last edited:

gitarst182

Sep 17, 2011
Washington
He was already called out before the impact. So if you were running to first base, called out and then decided to still lower your shoulder into the star player of the team, you would have gotten not only knocked the f out by morales. But the rest of the team would have continued the beat down, probably resulting in the ending of your career. To feel like you would want to do that is idiotic, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Maybe you're one of those softball players that take the game to seriously and start fights? I don't know.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
I guess it would depend on how close the play was. Close play, contact is reasonable, if he was out by 5 steps than no, he shouldnt hit any of them.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
Felix did get hurt on the play.

Yes he did, though it was minimal and he'll be fine. Had Overbay plowed into him at full speed it likely would have been worst for not only him, but Morales too.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I'd steamroll everything in my way. You don't stand in front of a moving semi, do ya ?

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Playing hard to win is one thing, playing hard to 'hurt' is another.

Some may misconstrue the 2 for the same thing.

/bush league

Latest posts