Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What do you think about this (buyback?)

What do you think the card I have is

• This is the buyback, serial no. is mislabeled in Beckett

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
One of the game used cards that has always bothered me on my McGwire list was this card listed in Beckett:

2004 Fleer Legacy National Pastime Buyback MM2 #'d /10 game used base

Never seen it, never known anybody who has seen it. But supposedly had a print run of 10.

I decided to take a close look at a card I wasn't sure about and was actually leaning towards being an illegitimate hand serial numbered card that I had listed as:

2001 Fleer Legacy -- -- #'d /25 game used base

I decided to pick this card up today to take a closer look at it and check out what I see:

legacyBuyback.jpg

It's the buyback stamp you can clearly see in the picture. Here are my two known buybacks for comparison (wall #'d/2 and base #'d/18):

wallBuyback.jpg

futuresBuyback.jpg

So my question is, what do you guys think about this:
a) This card I thought was illegitamite really is the buyback and it is mislabeled in Beckett

b) Sometimes companies do skip numbering where they release an /250 and only release every 10th serial number so only 25 exist (like the Prime Numbers of '01) OR sometimes they only release a subset of the numbers they made (which wouldn't make sense with #13)

c) This isn't the buyback

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Rudzud said:
i blame beckett
WHAT!? Beckett mess something up!? :lol: They do suck. I've got a few serial numbered cards (pack-pulled myself) with the wrong serial info on Beckett. They never corrected anything I let them know about.

------------------------------------------------------

I don't really have a solid opinion either way on the card. One possibility though is that you've got a remnant of the Fleer liquidation auctions. Or Beckett messed up. That's why I think all serial numbers, including buybacks, should be stamped on with metallic lettering (like on the back of refractors for example).

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I'm leaning that way but have no definitive reason to push me off the fence!

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
From my experience, Beckett gets most of the checklists right but occasionally quite a few wrong... Im sure it's legit with the stamp. My buyback stamped cards all match the checklist.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I'd say its an error on Beckett's part. Beckett's checklists are by no means complete, as we all know. Given how unorganized Fleer was towards the end, I have no doubt that the checklists for the various 'buybacks' are incomplete or incorrect. Fleer was dumping anything and everything they had. I can easily envision a scenario where they find a stack of cards in a back room somewhere, and suddenly a 'buyback' that was supposed to be out of 10 now has a print run of 25.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
A few of the other McGwire collectors are thinking the same you guys are. Looks like I'll probably be updating my list with that change unless some convincing evidence pops up in the near future. Thanks for the help!

Members online

Latest posts