Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What is your favorite year of releases and least favorite

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I've got a guy listing a bunch of Yount stuff on eBay, and he's doing it by the year generally. He just listed a bunch of 2003 stuff, and I don't really care. And now I think I'm just going to pile up funds for when he releases his 2005 collection.

It got me thinking that I think 2005 is, IMO, the best we've ever had it in the card collecting world.

What are your thoughts?

I think my least favorite year was immediately after that. 2006 was garbage, what with the terrible prospect/rookie rule fiasco and DLP losing their license and UD putting out crap as both themselves AND as Fleer.

Use whatever criteria you want. Best prospect or rookie class, nicest looking cards, favorite all-time set.

Just curious.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
2005 was an amazing year. So many great sets that year - Prime Patches, Playoff Absolute, Ultimate Signature. Heritage and ATFF were nice sets that year as well.

I don't know if that year will ever be outdone.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
2001 & 2005 as best (somewhat recently) although 1987 is my favorite all time.

2002 sucked for non topps products

Last edited:

joeya2001

Oct 4, 2012
Favorite 1998 stuff least favorite 1987 blah lol

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Favorite: 1985
The year I started seriously collecting was magical for me as a 12 year old.
I loved buying packs of '85 Topps, Donruss and Fleer, building sets and trading with friends.
The rookie class was a who's who of '80s stars and almost-weres: Clemens, Puckett, McGwire, Gooden, Saberhagen, Hershiser, E. Davis, G. Davis, Tartabull, Snyder, etc.

The baseball card hobby was reaching the height of its popularity and I loved all of the unusual oddball sets like Topps Tattoos, Donruss Highlights and the start of the many Fleer small boxed sets.
Everything was still inexpensive and most guests at autograph shows were free, or cheap ($10 for Mantle).

To me, every new set in '85 was awesome and I wanted them all.
I still have all of my original cards and will never sell them.

As for least favorite year, probably 1991.
Topps, Upper Deck and Score were boring.
Bowman, Donruss and especially Leaf and Fleer were ugly.

'91 was also when the hobby was starting to collapse under the gluttony and over-production, and the ugly card designs that year made it worse.

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
I liked 1996 with the first mantle finest reprints. My dad bought a hobby box and I was allowed to open 1 pack every day I helped on the farm! I hit a Finest refractor that I still have to this day.

Also 10 with Stras and 11 with Harper and Value Boxes were both great!

gitarst182

Sep 17, 2011
Washington
Favorite: 2005. Why? Sweet Spot Classic remains as my favorite product of all time. I ate this stuff up.

Least favorite: I have no clue. Maybe 2012-2013? Too many topps high dollar products with little value. I compare everything to Sweet Spot Classic. Every box had a HoF hit with a HoF auto. It was amazing. Now... topps five star? No thanks.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
1998 was a magical year for cards. It was clear at the time, and 15 years later, it just gets better.

2008 was a XXXXshow. It was the year I got back into the hobby, and it could have scared me right back out. Some truly awful sets came out in 2008; a few failed one-shot deals (UD Documentary, UD Timeline); a few venerable names that were ruined forever (Stadium Club, SP Legendary Cuts with current players); and sets that should have never existed in the first place (UD Piece of History, that Razor crap, UD Spectrum).

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
98,01,05 are my Triple Crown winners. Sad but it was Donruss/Leaf/Playoff that IMO had a good percentage of the better products too. Lots of nice current and HOF items were produced. RIP DLP

My losers aren't really a single year, just assorted throughout of stickers all over, same pic used over n over, redemption messes and boxes with lil value

Ryan

Johnny G

Sep 29, 2008
Jersey Shore
My favorite was also 2005. That's when I really started cracking alot of wax and enjoying every box. I miss Absolute, Prime, Reflections, UD Origins, and even Topps Chrome that year. I also agree with 2006 being a bomb.

Members online