Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Kevin Gausman Called Up to the Orioles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Per @jonmorosi.

Go get 'em, Kev! :mrgreen:

Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Orioles will call up Kevin Gausman to make his major league debut on Thursday against the Blue Jays.

Last edited:

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
I think it's unwise to rush pitchers to the big leagues. The chances for negative repercussions on the pitcher far outweigh any immediate benefit it might have for the club.

Last edited:

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I think it's unwise to rush pitchers to the big leagues. The chances for negative repercussions on the pitcher far outweigh any immediate benefit it might have for the club.

Meh, he was pitching well enough in the minors and it's not a high school-arm they are "rushing." Will he dominate? Who knows, but I do know this: the experience of a well-rounded team in a division-hunt, will not hurt him.

Buck/Duquette would not call him up if they though he wasn't ready. See: Machado.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
many many HOFers pitched in the bigs at a young age. I don't think that youths of a byegone generation had more intestinal fortitude than do kids of this age.

let him pitch and we'll see what he's made of.

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
Mike Wright has to be on that list soon. He's been pitching pretty well so far.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont

Don't worry, the Orioles know what they are doing when it comes to young pitchers.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
I've never understood the, "dont rush them to the bigs" mentality.

I take it you never pitched as an adult.

Don't worry, the Orioles know what they are doing when it comes to young pitchers.

Right. Rushing a young pitcher, in almost every situation, is unwise. I won't get into all the reasons why, but those who know the reasons why will understand what I'm saying and why I'm saying it. There are very few Doc Gooden types, and I imagine he dealt with the pressure and stress via his cocaine addiction. Not healthy.

Gausman could be okay if he's as smart as the reports say he is, but the adrenaline of pitching on the big stage may surpass all his own abilities to monitor himself to stay within himself and if he should get blasted this early in his pro career, it may wreck his confidence for the future. I wish him the best and believe he's got the potential to be a seriously good MLB pitcher, but rushing him up is just simply not a smart move.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I take it you never pitched as an adult.

Right. Rushing a young pitcher, in almost every situation, is unwise. I won't get into all the reasons why, but those who know the reasons why will understand what I'm saying and why I'm saying it. There are very few Doc Gooden types, and I imagine he dealt with the pressure and stress via his cocaine addiction. Not healthy.

Gausman could be okay if he's as smart as the reports say he is, but the adrenaline of pitching on the big stage may surpass all his own abilities to monitor himself to stay within himself and if he should get blasted this early in his pro career, it may wreck his confidence for the future. I wish him the best and believe he's got the potential to be a seriously good MLB pitcher, but rushing him up is just simply not a smart move.

What an asinine statement. "the adrenaline of pitching on the big stage may surpass all his own abilities to monitor himself to stay within himself" - really? It doesn't matter if you are 18 or 35, nothing prepares you for the adrenaline rush of making your MLB debut. Nothing in the minor leagues is going to prepare you for that.

And Dwight Gooden dealing with stress and pressure by using cocaine? I'm not exactly sure how much stress and pressure he had being the biggest celebrity in NY during that time and putting up ridiculous pitching numbers his first 3 years. You had a 19-21 year old at the top of his game and more fame and fortunate than anyone could have imagined...in NEW YORK.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
What an asinine statement. "the adrenaline of pitching on the big stage may surpass all his own abilities to monitor himself to stay within himself" - really? It doesn't matter if you are 18 or 35, nothing prepares you for the adrenaline rush of making your MLB debut. Nothing in the minor leagues is going to prepare you for that.

And Dwight Gooden dealing with stress and pressure by using cocaine? I'm not exactly sure how much stress and pressure he had being the biggest celebrity in NY during that time and putting up ridiculous pitching numbers his first 3 years. You had a 19-21 year old at the top of his game and more fame and fortunate than anyone could have imagined...in NEW YORK.

you okay now?

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
that's awesome; who's the mastermind?

Gausman eats 2donuts in between innings, and did so throughout college if I'm not mistaken (and he was awesome to watch in college). glad he is looking good but it is going to force me to make a few decisions soon. I have a good bit of his stuff.:)

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Gausman eats 2donuts in between innings, and did so throughout college if I'm not mistaken (and he was awesome to watch in college). glad he is looking good but it is going to force me to make a few decisions soon. I have a good bit of his stuff.:)

I assumed it was something like that or the fact they want him to "throw up donuts", meaning put up zeros, in his debut.

Members online

Latest posts