Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2006 World Series Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
We all remember the 2006 World Series. It was the much Detroit Tigers going against the huge underdog St. Louis Cardinals.

My questions to you are?

1. Why were the Cardinals such huge underdogs going into the World Series?

2. Why did the Cardinals win the World Series?

3. Why did the Detroit Tigers LOSE the World Series when being such huge favorites?

Any other thoughts on the 2006 World Series would be appreciated.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Sam Banks said:
We all remember the 2006 World Series. It was the much Detroit Tigers going against the huge underdog St. Louis Cardinals.

My questions to you are?

Why were the Cardinals such huge underdogs going into the World Series? Because they were an 83-win team from a poor division.

Why did the Cardinals win the World Series? Because they kinda got hot and the Tigers literally threw it away.

Why did the Detroit Tigers LOSE the World Series when being such huge favorites. They got incredibly sloppy.

Play that series 100 times and I bet the Tigers win 75%. Baseball playoffs are kinda silly. You play 162 games to separate the wheat from the chaff but you just have to go 11-7 to fly a flag forever. Nobody on earth can argue the Cardinals were the best team in 2006, but a couple of things broke right and here we are.

Wes

OG
Administrator
Detroit's staff carried them through the AL playoffs but didn't stay hot long enough to take it all. Their lineup wasn't very good and in my opinion was the only one out of the four AL playoff teams that could have been shut down by the likes of Jeff Weaver.

ChadHenne

Feb 19, 2009
It's all about getting hot at the right time. Just like the Phillies this past year, the Red Sox in 2007, and many teams before them, its all about getting hot as you enter the playoffs. That is what the Cardinals did and that is why they won.

notoriousrmb

Aug 7, 2008
Above Ground
The Tigers got the yips and LaRussa's steady hand guided an overachieving veteran team to a pennant they should have won in 2004 when the roles were reverse and the redbirds choked it away.

Or it could have been a greater power at work...the same powers that be that gave me a Series ticket to Game 5 in '04 so I would be able to go to my first Series game ever, then laughed as the Cards got swept in 4. Then rewarded me again in '06 with a last minute ticket to Game 4, assuring me of seeing a game only to have it be rained out and replayed as Game 5 where I was in the stadium as my Cardinals clinched an unlikely pennant.

I'm 26 years old and I've seen my team live and in person clinch a WS pennant at home. Does this mean I will die early? :shock:

justwar

Aug 7, 2008
Most of the things mentioned already are true but one that was missed is that the Tigers had a week off while the NLCS finished up. They probably got cold physically and had to listen to how they were going to destroy whoever they faced for a week. I think it played a major role in their poor performance.

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
That Cards was just a conglomerate of strange players and odd ends. I don't think they even understand how the won the WS that year.

These guys were major players in their WS win:

Scott Spiezio
Jeff Weaver
Jeff Suppan
Adam Wainwright as closer
Anthony Reyes
David Eckstein
Juan Encarnacion
Tguchi

It was just an odd assortment of guys. Eckstein won the MVP. They basically won the WS and got to the world series because of their starting pitching. Reyes, Weaver and Suppan all got hot and stepped their game up when it mattered most. Weaver and Suppan got big paydays out of it. Anthony Reyes got lectured by Dave Duncan for two more seasons before being shown the door. Wainwright was huge for them in the closer role. Guys like Spiezio, Tguchi and Eckstein had timely hitting. Guys like Rolen, Wilson and Mulder won a ring for nothing.

I know you're a huge Cardinals fan, and I have nothing against that team or their organization, but I happen to think that was one of the worst WS winning teams ever. Virtually that whole team was either not on the 2007 team or were just completely irrelevant to their franchise after that. And it wasn't like the 1997 Marlins team who sold everyone off. It was a group of guys who came together and got something done together, despite Scott Rolen's tantrums in the dugout.

If I was a Cards fan, I would probably be extremely proud of that Championship as it was won off experience, will, superior managing and perfect timing. Not being a Cards fan, I look at 2006 and shake my head wondering what happened.

The tigers ran into the same problem the rockies ran into in 2007. THey both were on fire and swept the ALCS and NLCS while there futre oppponents went into long series' and those teams did not cool down and took the momentum. Layoffs in the playoffs are DEADLY. Derek Jeter said it best, Good Teams make the playoffs, HOT teams win it all.

Wes

OG
Administrator
Big Mac McGwire said:
The tigers ran into the same problem the rockies ran into in 2007. THey both were on fire and swept the ALCS and NLCS while there futre oppponents went into long series' and those teams did not cool down and took the momentum. Layoffs in the playoffs are DEADLY. Derek Jeter said it best, Good Teams make the playoffs, HOT teams win it all.

The Rockies also ran into a superior team in the Red Sox, hot or not they lose that series 9/10 times.

Reyes7tulo2

Aug 8, 2008
Sam Banks said:

My questions to you are?

1. Why were the Cardinals such huge underdogs going into the World Series?

2. Why did the Cardinals win the World Series?
AARON HEILMAN!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Why did the Detroit Tigers LOSE the World Series when being such huge favorites?[/b]

:x Might as well throw Steve Trachsel in there as well. Both of them killed the Mets in that NLCS. That was their year to win it all. It seems like it's never going to happen now.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
1. Why were the Cardinals such huge underdogs going into the World Series? Because of the Tigers great regular season.

2. Why did the Cardinals win the World Series? The got hot and had some pitchers play above their heads. Also, the timely hitting wasn't bad.

3. Why did the Detroit Tigers LOSE the World Series when being such huge favorites?

Terrible defense.

Members online