Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Top 10 Baseball Players NOT in the HOF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
The thread about Vladimir Guerrero and whether he should or shouldn't be in the HOF got me thinking.... who are the top (10) players NOT in the HOF? Clearly there is someone I personally think should be in the HOF ;) but thought I'd see what articles I could find which might have their own lists. I'm also just showing Top 10 and not going deeper for articles which show Top 50 or even Top 100.

I'm basically showing a list I found from Jan. 2013, 2012 and 2011 for comparison purposes and to give an idea of how they lists have changed with people being elligible, etc. Let me know what your thoughts are!

Here is what I found:

Baseball Past and Present - Jan. 2013

1. Tim Raines
2. Craig Biggio
3. Jeff Bagwell
4. Shoeless Joe Jackson
5. Alan Trammell
6. Roger Clemens
7. Pete Rose
8. Barry Bonds
9. Edgar Martinez
10. Lou Whitaker

Bleacher Report - Jan. 2012

1. Shoeless Joe Jackson
2. Pete Rose
3. Tim Raines
4. Dick Allen
5. Alan Trammell
6. Tony Oliva
7. Jeff Bagwell
8. Maury Wills
9. Steve Garvey
10. Tommy John

Yahoo! - Jan. 2011

1. Pete Rose
2. Shoeless Joe Jackson
3. Ron Santo
4. Dale Murphy
5. Gale Hodges
6. Don Mattingly
7. Tommy John
8. Dick Allen
9. Fred McGriff
10. Jack Morris

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Should the question be players that are no longer eligible by the writers or not in the HOF in general. I agree with all on each list and cant figure out why Dick Allen hasnt been written in by writers.

Sent from my DROID4 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
Bonds has to be #1 , with guys like Clemens, Jackson, Rose, Sosa etc etc.

If you discount all of the disqualified guys for drugs/bans I think guys like Belle, Raines and Martinez are up there high on the list.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Should the question be players that are no longer eligible by the writers or not in the HOF in general. I agree with all on each list and cant figure out why Dick Allen hasnt been written in by writers.

I thought about this as well. I thought I'd get the discussion going and see where it goes.

Bonds has to be #1 , with guys like Clemens, Jackson, Rose, Sosa etc etc.

If you discount all of the disqualified guys for drugs/bans I think guys like Belle, Raines and Martinez are up there high on the list.

Totally agree with you here. Maybe add McGwire to your initial list but I totally agree with you on your second point.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
61_The-Roger-Maris.jpeg

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
For Maris to get in, it will be as a combination of time as a player and "contributions" to the game...a la Tommy John. Both were solid players with some great years, but their lasting legacy is more their place in history versus domination.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
If you consider the award is named after him, I think it is a shame Edgar Martinez isn't in the Hall of Fame, the designated hitter, whether you like it or not is an official position in baseball, and he was the best.

Also, he wasn't terrible defensively, I think he would've been one of the best ever if he never got injured.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Rose and Jackson can be removed from the conversation until they are reinstated.
For Maris to get in, it will be as a combination of time as a player and "contributions" to the game...a la Tommy John. Both were solid players with some great years, but their lasting legacy is more their place in history versus domination.

I toally agree with both of these comments.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I would somewhat equate Maris to the likes of Paul O'Neill. Great everyday player, some better years early on with the Reds then seemed to fit in real well with the Yankees. Maris was paired with Mantle and Mantle kinda rubbed off on him a little but a decent everyday player.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
If you consider the award is named after him, I think it is a shame Edgar Martinez isn't in the Hall of Fame, the designated hitter, whether you like it or not is an official position in baseball, and he was the best.

Also, he wasn't terrible defensively, I think he would've been one of the best ever if he never got injured.

Yes, the DH is a position - but unlike relievers/closers, they're only on half of the teams - so its more like half a position. With far fewer eligible DHs than any other position its an awful lot easier to say a player's a "HOF-caliber DH".

Could a DH be a HOFer one day? Absolutely - but he'd need to have Ruthian stats/be better than any position player... and Edgar doesn't have Ruthian stats.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'd put Albert Belle on the list, and not because MansGame made this thread.
Belle was more dominant than every eligible player on those lists and he only retired because an injury forced him to, like Kirby Puckett. (Belle had 103 rbi in his final season)
He's never been accused of steroids by other players or reporters either.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
How in the world was there even a debate about whether Vlad should be in the HOF or not? He'll be first ballot, no question.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
All else not being considered (PED's, cheating, gambling, ect...)

Rose, Bonds, Clemens should be atop every list made.

Members online

Latest posts