Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So why aren't your 1991 cards worth anything?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Came upon some articles in old magazines.

In 1991, topps made FOUR MILLION of every card.

Score nearly hit the three million mark!

There was no mention of donruss but you know it was similar which explains why elite inserts were impossible despite numbered to ten grand.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
So out of that 4 million, how many copies of some of the scarcer varations exist? Even if they're 1/1000th of the PR, that still makes for 4000 copies of the Whiten, Drabek, or Hoiles variations.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
IMO, even though there may be four million of every card, how many of those have been messed up, thrown away by people disgusted by their valuelessness, or cards ruined sitting in storage units out in the heat for years and years? I know there is still a lot out there but I know a lot of people who have just thrown this stuff away or given it to kids who practically ruin it because it's pretty much worthless. Eventually, it'll get hard to find in nice condition at the very least.

Think about a set like 93 fleer or any of the stadium club cards from 91, 92, or 93. Those things stick together in packs badly now. Not to mention they are mostly found being sold by sellers out at flea markets and such who've had this stuff in their garage or storage units forever. The cards are ruined. Stuck together like cardboard bricks.

The general value of these cards and the conditions they are kept in is an enemy that may increase their value.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
IMO, even though there may be four million of every card, how many of those have been messed up, thrown away by people disgusted by their valuelessness, or cards ruined sitting in storage units out in the heat for years and years? I know there is still a lot out there but I know a lot of people who have just thrown this stuff away or given it to kids who practically ruin it because it's pretty much worthless. Eventually, it'll get hard to find in nice condition at the very least.

Think about a set like 93 fleer or any of the stadium club cards from 91, 92, or 93. Those things stick together in packs badly now. Not to mention they are mostly found being sold by sellers out at flea markets and such who've had this stuff in their garage or storage units forever. The cards are ruined. Stuck together like cardboard bricks.

The general value of these cards and the conditions they are kept in is an enemy that may increase their value.

Right on.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
And then you have designs like this:

fleer1991-89F.jpg

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I'm in the minority but I didn't mind the '91 Fleer. Maybe just fond memories of getting a full wax box for Christmas '90. A whole box was huge for a kid back then. It was better than '88s Funfetti, '89s Depressing Period, and '90s So-plain-are-you-sure-this-isnt-last-years-Topps designs IMO

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I have to admit, I never understood the hatred towards 1991 Fleer. Mustard and Ryder Truck are common adjectives, but is it really ugly? I mean, objectively, it's a clean and simple design. Is it just the yellow is too bright for some people? Is the largely unused space around the names bothering? Are the proportions of the first and last names jarring? It's not my favorite, but of all the 1991 sets, it's nowhere near the worst, IMHO.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
I have fond memories of 1991 Fleer.

It has to do with skipping school and stopping at a Rite-Aid to buy condoms. And, because I didn't just want to buy the condoms alone, I bought a bunch of mustard colored Fleer baseball cards. Which, in retrospect, was probably worse.

I always think of that day when I see 91 Fleer.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I have to admit, I never understood the hatred towards 1991 Fleer. Mustard and Ryder Truck are common adjectives, but is it really ugly? I mean, objectively, it's a clean and simple design. Is it just the yellow is too bright for some people? Is the largely unused space around the names bothering? Are the proportions of the first and last names jarring? It's not my favorite, but of all the 1991 sets, it's nowhere near the worst, IMHO.

For me it's just too much yellow that is a little too bright for my tastes. No biggie though and people will probably be able to recall that set many years from now while forgetting the vast majority of everything else BECAUSE of this design. I probably would have liked it more if the yellow and black were reversed.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I'm in the minority but I didn't mind the '91 Fleer. Maybe just fond memories of getting a full wax box for Christmas '90. A whole box was huge for a kid back then. It was better than '88s Funfetti, '89s Depressing Period, and '90s So-plain-are-you-sure-this-isnt-last-years-Topps designs IMO

Since I'm kind of on board with you about that year, ask yourself this: did you like the way the yellow complimented your team's uniform, since the most iconic part was blue and yellow.

I think that had some impact on me.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008

It has to do with skipping school and stopping at a Rite-Aid to buy condoms. And, because I didn't just want to buy the condoms alone, I bought a bunch of mustard colored Fleer baseball cards. Which, in retrospect, was probably worse.

If you'd have bought a candy bar and driven away in a panel van, I'd call the cops.

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX

You're in the minority. I think condoms and baseball cards were mutually exclusive purchases for most teenagers

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Since I'm kind of on board with you about that year, ask yourself this: did you like the way the yellow complimented your team's uniform, since the most iconic part was blue and yellow.

I think that had some impact on me.

Certainly didn't hurt! Not as well as say an '88 Donruss but Crew cards looked a bit nicer than the Reds cards.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I'd much rather have an ugly design that makes me smile when I remember it than something I don't remember at all.

Here's to you '91 Fleer!

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota

The other side of this is, how many are sitting in boxes, unopened?