Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

"The find"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Pretty sure many of you have heard about mr. mint's find of gem mint 1952 topps cards.

I can't recall reading about it on here so consider this a refresher course or introduction to perhaps the greatest hobby find ever.

Love him or not, "mr. Mint" alan rosen made a name for himself just as the boom started with this monumental discovery.

In the mid 80's, rosen was in the midst of placing full page, eye catching ads in "scd" aka sports collectors digest.

Scd was the most widely read collectibles magazine (paper) in the hobby by both modern & vintage collectors (its still around but like most print, not what it used to be) and rosen was by far the stand out advertiser.

Never bashful, rosen's ads were full of bravado, boasting, etc & like it or not, that drew attention to him as a serious buyer.

Perhaps thats why in 1986, a boston truck driver called him about some cards he found in his late fathers attic.

The seller told rosen that he had a case full of mint baseball cards from 1952 including several mickey mantle's & hundreds of others.

Skeptical, mr. mint nonetheless continues listening knowing that the mantle cards alone were bringing several thousand per back then.

He also knew that if the rest of the cards were indeed in mint condition, that this deal could reach nearly six digits, an unheard of figure back in 1986.

So the two meet In boston & mr. mint couldn't believe the condition & quantity of the cards. Indeed, the cards were mint & there were tons of them, about 50 of every card including the mantle!

So the deal went down for 80,000, a pretty nice find for the seller, rosen & the hobby.

Its hard to imagine now, but back then, rosen had some doubts about the buy, even wondering if it was possible to sell it all.

Believe it or not, I remember reading that he actually had problems selling all the mint mantle cards & eventually had to discount them just to move them.

All in all, he cleared about a quarter of a million in profit.

Had he held them for a few years later, he would have cleared much more.

Imagine if this type of find happened today, there would be worth millions of dollars.

The importance of this find can't be measured.

It put the hobby on the map, drew national media attention, brought in untold amount of collectors & helped "blow up" our hobby.

The "black swamp" find from last year "might" be worth more, but it will not do nearly as much for this hobby as what the "1952" find did.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Imagine the worth this case once held

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369703070292.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369703070292.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 194

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You can read about Mr. Mint's 1952 Topps find and all of his other incredible discoveries, in his book "True Mint."
It's really a fascinating book. Rosen describes how he started in 1978, as a copy machine seller, then dropped everything to become a full-time card dealer.
He travelled around the country in the early '80s, sitting in motel rooms, waiting for people to show up with the rarest cards imaginable.

He really goes into detail. The 1952 Topps Find story alone is about five pages long.
There are stories about vintage Topps, Bowman, T206, autographs, an unbelievable Mantle collection, press pins, etc.

One time he showed up to find stacks of '50s Bowman wax boxes. But when he opened them, he saw that bugs had eaten right through most of the packs and he had to throw them out because holes were bored in them.
There are lots of pictures, and he even talks about his friendly relationship with the future T206 Wagner crook, Bill Mastro and other well-known early card dealers.

The book came out in 1994, years after Mr. Mint's amazing finds dried up, and he talks about how he'll probably never make any legendary discoveries again.

You can find the for a few bucks on Amazon or eBay.

True-Mint-Rosen-Al-9780873413275.jpg

Last edited:

Kmccall93

May 9, 2013
I fell into the opportunity to have lunch with Rosen in 2007, along with a buddy that had what he hoped was a stack of very nice Cracker Jack cards. Alas, they were not, but Rosen was very nice and we had a great visit. I would eat lunch with him anytime!

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

WaxPax

I had the misfortune of sitting next to Rosen at our Hotel Restaurant for the 2006 National in Anaheim. It was during breakfast, he was sitting with a "Lacky" for lack of a better word, and he couldn't do anything but complain the entire time, about anything and everything. He was all but verbally abusive to the poor waitress who was serving both of us. He was an outright jerk the whole time he was there. When he finally left, I told her she had done nothing wrong and that some people are just never happy, unless they are unhappy and letting everyone else know about it.

I fell into the opportunity to have lunch with Rosen in 2007, along with a buddy that had what he hoped was a stack of very nice Cracker Jack cards. Alas, they were not, but Rosen was very nice and we had a great visit. I would eat lunch with him anytime!

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts