Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

you can get a win AND a save, right?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Tied in the 8th and your closer gets an out in the 8th, his team scores, and then he saves the 9th, right?

Anyone have an example of this happening recently? I'm trying to win a bet with a friend.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
You can get one or the other but not both. You can get a blown save then win, but that's as close as it gets.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
In your scenario if the pitcher was to go in and play another position in the 9th for a batter and would come back in and pitch, then he probably would get a Win and a Save

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
How about this...

Mariano Rivera entered the game in the bottom of the 9th. The Yankees were leading 5-4. Rivera recorded three quick outs.

He was credited with the win, and did not get credited with a save.

The official scorer ruled that David Robertson was brief and ineffective, therefore Robertson did not deserve the win.

The rules state that "brief" generally is, but is not required to be less than one inning. Robertson pitched a full inning. Seems to me like the official scorer stretched an obscure rule to take a save away from Rivera.

Last edited:

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
How about this...

Mariano Rivera entered the game in the bottom of the 9th. The Yankees were leading 5-4. Rivera recorded three quick outs.

He was credited with the win, and did not get credited with a save.

The official scorer ruled that David Robertson was brief and ineffective, therefore Robertson did not deserve the win.

The rules state that "brief" generally is, but is not required to be less than one inning. Robertson pitched a full inning. Seems to me like the official scorer stretched an obscure rule to take a save away from Rivera.

I have seen that happen to others also. That seems pretty subjective, as opposed to the rule in question on this thread, which is clear...you one person cannot have a win and a save. But, with your nuance, a person can actually save the game and be credited with the win (but not the save).

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Yeah, the scorer's opinion is what counts unless there is a specific rule about who gets credit for what, and every once in a while one goes rogue and assigns credit for something to an unexpected person. I would think the rules for what constitutes a save situation and how credit for a win is normally assigned would be mutually exclusive, but I guess anything can happen.

Members online

Latest posts