Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mantle/Ruth/Maris Cut - Why would they ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Lower cost to manufacture.

The value of this card is the pairing of players...not the quality of individual cuts.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Lower cost to manufacture.

The value of this card is the pairing of players...not the quality of individual cuts.

Not really true IMO , the value is based around the Chase of 61 and Yankees. And to find the one cut that scream non-Yankee and use it is WTF. If your going to create a one of a kind card, make it amazing not half assed. Very lil effort would have been needed to correctly get a cut. I know people pile on Topps, but it's things like this that say they deserve it.

Anyway, when I saw the card, I just thought no this can't be what they did, and yet yes, that's how they wanted to honor the Chase if 61

Ryan

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
My thoughts were more along the lines of why didn't they make this a fold-out three way booklet with a nice picture of all three, etc.? They just don't care.

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
Topps only thinks of the potential product buyers and not the people who end up having the card on their mantlepiece. The impulse box buyer sees a lot of big names smushed on one card and thinks about how much money they would get if they actually pulled and flipped.... they are oblivious to the Stl.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I've commented on this very card before.

I see nothing wrong with it. The design "fits" the set and I think booklets are cheesy.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX

I see nothing wrong with it. The design "fits" the set and I think booklets are cheesy.

Fair enough, booklets are over rated, I can agree with that. That takes care of my comment then.

How about the OP and his reservations with the background of the one auto? That has nothing todo with it fitting the set, unless the set is of autos of players on later teams or something.

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Right or wrong regarding the Maris what can we do other than XXXXX.

Fact though, this card is selling for more than twice what it would cost you to own these three certified autographs.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013

Not sure how it fits, IMO it does everything but. But I am not forcing anyone to agree, just differ in what we think the theme is

Ryan

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
To me the card just has a "pop art" feel with the colors and it works for me.

If it had the look of Legendary Cuts, it wouldn't work.

That probably makes no sense.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
To me the card just has a "pop art" feel with the colors and it works for me.

If it had the look of Legendary Cuts, it wouldn't work.

That probably makes no sense.

No, that makes sense. It has a different feel than something that is clean and modern looking or something. Fair enough.

Lets be honest, any one of us would love to own it LOL!

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Not arguing the look or design in general, arguing that if you make a Yankees themed item, make sure not to use a Cardinals logo cut of a player when it's not necessary.

Ryan

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Lets be honest, any one of us would love to own it LOL!

false, sell it and buy a nice Ruth. I paid $1250 for mine (unauthenticated).

RuthAuto-1.jpg

And $200
Maris-1.jpg

$150
Mantle_Score_auto.jpg

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Nothing new, all companies are known to "mess up" team/ order of some cards. Sucks its this one.

Theres a million reggie/jeter dual au or gu cards which picture reggie in a yank uniform but has an a's or Angels patch

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Nothing new, all companies are known to "mess up" team/ order of some cards. Sucks its this one.

Theres a million reggie/jeter dual au or gu cards which picture reggie in a yank uniform but has an a's or Angels patch

Yeah that's a thing I don't quite get with jersey/patch cards too. Line up the jersey or do t make the card IMO. I just got in the SP 05 Ripken / Clark Dual Jersey /25. Both pictured in their Orioles etc on front. Back if card on Clark's part.. "Came from Giants Jersey" etc.

Any, back to this one, it is such a unique card that to me requires the effort of making it all right if they cared enough.

Obviously it's going to go for a lot, but it just looks off, and it didn't need to be

Ryan

Members online

Latest posts