Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So how many of you guys deploy the "shipping bottom line" tactic?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
Ran across this auction last night and found it very odd he was charging 27.99 for shipping. I decided to send him a message asking if it was a typo and received "no it's my bottom line" as a response. Upon further inspection, he deploys this tactic with most of his auctions:

Kevin Gausman Bowman Chrome on Card Auto | eBay
27.99 shipping

2012 Bowman Draft Chrome Albert Almora Autograph Cubs Rookie RC Refractor | eBay
46.99 shipping

Jean Segura Bowman Sterling Rookie Revelation Auto Hot 112 199 | eBay
26.99 shipping

2012 Bowman Sterling Jean Segura Rookie RC Gold Refractor 22 50 Hot | eBay
17.99 shipping

For more examples, just check out all of his auctions:

yahoo30001973 | eBay

::facepalm:: is all I can express.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
And he somehow manages a 4.6/5 stars in shipping and handling charges! I doubt he's trying to trick people because most people notice that kind of thing when they make payment and I'm sure few people feel obligated to pay once they've won if they didn't see the shipping prices when they bid. I'm sure he's just a weirdo who thinks he's making more money this way, when in reality, if he lowered his shipping prices to more realistic numbers, he'd see a comparable bump in the final winning bids.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Matters less now that they take an equal bite out of shipping charges via the fees. In the past you could bump the shipping to save on fees.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Matters less now that they take an equal bite out of shipping charges via the fees. In the past you could bump the shipping to save on fees.
This.

I think the guy is a tard because eBay now just takes final value charged to the buyer, including shipping, and charges their fees. I don't understand people with eBay sometimes... I think few people know of this change. Like someone people still put the "standard" $3 s/h for cards but the vast majority of every single card I get is shipped for less than half that price :lol:

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Last time I tried to make a little off of adding extra for shipping (granted it was oh so long ago), Ebay threw up a flag during the listing process asking if it was correct. I would assume it still does it if the listing program finds it odd... But I think you could still bypass it.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
This.

I think the guy is a tard because eBay now just takes final value charged to the buyer, including shipping, and charges their fees. I don't understand people with eBay sometimes... I think few people know of this change. Like someone people still put the "standard" $3 s/h for cards but the vast majority of every single card I get is shipped for less than half that price :lol:

I charge $3.00 bucks for shipping but that's pretty much my costs. It usually breaks down to $1.89 for shipping, I pay between .50 and .90 for a padded envelope, .50 for a sticky label, and I guess say between .10 to .35 for a sleeve, toploader and team bag, so I'm actually losing a little on shipping at $3.00. I know I could probably save a little on envelopes if I bought like 5000 at a time but I don't have room for that, haven't looked into saving on the sticky labels and for the 50 cents they cost it's way easier than taping a label on.

P.S. Yes I agree this guy is a tard for charging so much, is he sending them overnight? lol

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
Could this help the $20,000 & 200 transactions so you dont get the tax form?
Does shipping factor into that equation? or is shipping not part of that?

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
The 20k is gross, so shipping is included.
Yep, you're still getting the PayPal filing with the IRS.

BUT, you could theoretically use that shipping charge as an expense from your "bottom line", so maybe that's what the guy is doing. I deduct my actual shipping charges (USPS/UPS/FedEx) from the gross when doing the taxes, so I'm legit in case I get audited. Doing it this way is super shady.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
Yeah, guys DOA if he gets audited. Unless his postmaster makes him fake receipts for $1000 in shipping a week. lol

BUT, you could theoretically use that shipping charge as an expense from your "bottom line", so maybe that's what the guy is doing. I deduct my actual shipping charges (USPS/UPS/FedEx) from the gross when doing the taxes, so I'm legit in case I get audited. Doing it this way is super shady.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA

No doesn't work that way. His shipping price to the customer is revenue, then his shipping label is a cost. You only get to show actual expenses as expenses. So if he sold a card for $10, charged $27 for shipping and then had $3 of actual shipping expense, he'd have to show $37 of revenue and $3 of expense.

allstarauction

Aug 7, 2008
It seems to me he is doing it to avoid listing fees... Doesn't ebay charge higher listing fees the higher you start your auction? Or was that changed in the last fees structure?

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Recently spoke with someone who had their account frozen due to charging 3.99 for shipping. Good luck to this guy trying to charge $40 for shipping.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
good point. shipping is an expense and can be written off.

Go back and read my comment on page 1. Just because a seller charges his customer $29.99 for shipping, that doesn't mean the seller can expense $29.99 for shipping. Shipping is both a revenue (what the customer pays for it) and an expense (what you paid for it). Just like the card you are selling where the revenue is what the customer pays and expense (cost of goods sold) is what you paid for it.

Members online

Latest posts