Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Massive Player Collections

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Julz24

Jun 11, 2013
San Francisco
For anyone here with large collections of baseball cards of the same player:

I collect Ken Griffey Jr and have 2600 different cards. I've been trying to organize them so that I don't purchase any that I already have. Also, it's good to know what doubles I have to use for trade bait.

Here's a few questions...

First - How do you digitally organize your collection? Do you have a photo of the card alongside the card's information?

For me, I have been using Numbers - an Apple spreadsheet. I have all my cards organized by: Photo/Year/Set Name/Description/Number/Serial Number/Quantity/Notes/Grade.

It has been extremely useful to me. I tried to attach a few rows of the spreadsheet to this thread and was unsuccessful. Which is fitting because I'm having problems with it's size. Since around Row 2000 - the file has gotten slower and slower and slower. It is almost unmanageable now. :( I contacted Apple and they told me the spreadsheet was not meant for what I'm using it for and that I've exceeded expectations already, lol.

Also, it will not export in any format and to any other program, (that I know of yet) with the photos. I've tried Excel and many others. I think I need to get them out of Numbers and into a Database that will accept the photos. But how and to which one?

Second - How do you store/display your player collection?

Right now half of mine are completly raw in 2 800ct boxes. The other half are in toploaders in a giant box. Not very convenient or sexy.

I'd love to put some in pages and binders but the only pages I like are "Super Pro 2000 Gold" and they're hard to find. Not a fan of Ultra Pro, Platinum, MVP or BCW as the cards tend to slide up and thru the top opening.

So any other player collectors out there got any ideas or solutions?

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Nice to see another Griffey Collector, as for me... I have No Idea What I Have, I just Know What I Dont Have

budvandall

Mar 11, 2012
Myrtle Beach, SC
Another Griffey collector here. I downloaded a complete list of all his cards from beckett. I update the list every year. I keep track of what I have by checking them off and documenting the S#. I have so many that I keep them organized in top loaders and in 5000ct. boxes. I recommend a smaller box though. They can get pretty heavy. lol

Julz24

Jun 11, 2013
San Francisco
Another Griffey collector here. I downloaded a complete list of all his cards from beckett. I update the list every year. I keep track of what I have by checking them off and documenting the S#. I have so many that I keep them organized in top loaders and in 5000ct. boxes. I recommend a smaller box though. They can get pretty heavy. lol

Checked out Beckett. Looks like I'll need a subscription to view his complete checklist. That might be handy if I can export it.

BTW - sweet sig!

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
I used Microsoft Word for my Henderson collection. I have it broken down in many categories such as baseball cards 1 (80-99) baseball cards 2 (00-10), posters, misc. memorabilia, gloves, boxes, magazines, ect. Whenever I get new stuff, I log it all in and I back up everything every few weeks to a External HD and a jump drive just in case. I also print it out once a year. This works for me and I will never use anything else.

Julz24

Jun 11, 2013
San Francisco
I used Microsoft Word for my Henderson collection. I have it broken down in many categories such as baseball cards 1 (80-99) baseball cards 2 (00-10), posters, misc. memorabilia, gloves, boxes, magazines, ect. Whenever I get new stuff, I log it all in and I back up everything every few weeks to a External HD and a jump drive just in case. I also print it out once a year. This works for me and I will never use anything else.

Microsoft Word?

Do you have photos as well as text stored?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Just using the Beckett list and updating as new things or variations pop up is the way I have done it thus far.

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
Microsoft Word?

Do you have photos as well as text stored?

I don't have pics, just several itemized lists of everything I have of Henderson. As far as the pics go, a fellow Henderson collector has a site with tons of pics. I send him pics when he asks for them. If you want to check it out, its therickeyhendersoncollection.com

Julz24

Jun 11, 2013
San Francisco
Thanks for the advice guys. I've been looking into some different databases to transfer my collection to. Either Filemaker Pro or Bento. Both will allegedly accept an import from Numbers according to their website. I'm just hoping that all of my pictures will transfer along with the text. If that doesn't work I guess I'll be going back to school to learn how to build and manage databases, lol...

I'm probably going to sign up for one month at Beckett too so i can download their player checklists.

SteelBrad

Mar 2, 2013
I'm kinda glad I don't collect a guy with tons of cards. I collect Bonilla just for fun but I seriously collect Sean Burnett. He doesn't have lots of different cards but I like picking up multiples of the rarer cards.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I created a custom Excel spreadsheet that I log every card into. I prefer to sort by brand. Then I save it as .pdf file I can view on my tablet, PC or off my website. The two column format let me see more cards per page and prints best for me.
http://www.markgrace.com/museum/GRACECHECKLIST.pdf

I scan every card and post it to my website. Anywhere I can get an internet connection, I can see if I have the card or not.
Virtual Mark Grace Baseball Card Museum

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
I have close to 5000 Ripken cards and all scanned front and back. I use Microsoft excel for checklist and I store all the scanned cards in a 7.45 GB removable disc by year and each is hyperlinked to the checklist. Whenever I feel the need to see any particular card, I can either check via the checklist or the removable disc.

Members online

Latest posts