Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is This The Best Time To Buy Certain Prospects?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegreathambino

Jan 17, 2009
I am a huge Mets fan, and I am so excited to see Zack Wheeler pitch tonight. I checked ebay, and tons of new stuff has already been listed in anticipation for his debut, and plenty of stuff is already selling for the most it has ever. My question is, is today and the next few days, a good time to buy other Mets prospects such as guys like D'Arnaud, Flores, Syndergaard, or Mets guys in general like Wright or Harvey? I feel like people are so concentrated on Zack Wheeler, that other Mets guys might not get as much attention and in turn can be had for a cheaper price. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Avery

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
The only way to determine when to buy is to watch trends. Buy when they're down. I honestly don't think your theory has any real founding. It might be the case anecdotally, but probably not causally.

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
I am a huge Mets fan, and I am so excited to see Zack Wheeler pitch tonight. I checked ebay, and tons of new stuff has already been listed in anticipation for his debut, and plenty of stuff is already selling for the most it has ever. My question is, is today and the next few days, a good time to buy other Mets prospects such as guys like D'Arnaud, Flores, Syndergaard, or Mets guys in general like Wright or Harvey? I feel like people are so concentrated on Zack Wheeler, that other Mets guys might not get as much attention and in turn can be had for a cheaper price. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Avery

I would highly recommend looking at someone else in the Mets organization who is killing the ball right now. Not considered a prospect anymore but will get a chance in the bigs sometime this year. His prices are super cheap.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I think your reasoning is interesting but don't think it will play out that way. Attention on Wheeler means more attention on the Mets (you can't watch the game without exposure to the whole MLB team and in the discussions the guys in the minors will likely come up). I could see it being a boon to the rest of the org.

That said the nice thing about ebay/auctions is you can give it a go with no risk. Place some lowish bids on a bunch of items and see if you snag any cheap. Worst that happens is you don't win any.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I think your reasoning is interesting but don't think it will play out that way. Attention on Wheeler means more attention on the Mets (you can't watch the game without exposure to the whole MLB team and in the discussions the guys in the minors will likely come up). I could see it being a boon to the rest of the org.

That said the nice thing about ebay/auctions is you can give it a go with no risk. Place some lowish bids on a bunch of items and see if you snag any cheap. Worst that happens is you don't win any.

This is my thought as well...your standard Mets fans might very well be focused on Wheeler this week rather than their usual favorite Mets, but national attention on Wheeler will bring a whole new group into the market for the Mets. Case in point, I am not a Mets fan at all, but I have game 1 on right now just to see what they're saying about Wheeler in anticipation of his start later.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
Best time to buy is during the off season between the World Series and Spring Training. If a player had aMinor injury or DL stint I think is also a good time to buy if you feel the player will comeback strong. Others may be dumping at this time.

Never buy during the hype...unless I'm selling :)

Always sell early during callup or hype is at its possible-peak. Better to sell early and make a profit than take a huge lose later...which I'm still learning the hard way.

Latest posts