Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Early Mock Draft 1-10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I seen several of the SEC players already and decided to post a mock for picks 1-10 aqlong with a couple of peeps that should creep unto the Top 20 that you dont see on most list.

1. Washington Stephen Strasburg RHP San Diego State University

Anything else would me a complete PR failure by the Nationals with the main Washington National beatwriters having a Strasburg watch after all his starts.

Off to a blistering start with 27:3 K:BB ratio in 12.1 innings of work.

2. Seattle Mariners Donavan Tate OF Cartersville HS, Ga

Mariners need young position players and I believe its going to take a Top 3 pick along with a MLB contract to get Tate to ignore North Carolina. Mariners have has a great track record with grooming high profile 5 Tool HS players.

3. San Diego - Aaron Crow RHP Fort Worth Cats
Padres would be looking for a easy sign with new ownership and will know at this point in the season if Peavy will be sticking around past the 2nd half. Crow will have little leverage with only 5 starts with Fort Worth regardless of his success.

4. Pittsburgh Pirates- Dustin Ackley 1B/OF University of North Carolina

Scouts are wondering what happen to the loft in his swing the 1st week but has displayed patience at the plate. IMO, I just dont see him hitting with enough power. Upside is James Loney if he remains at 1st but he could play anywhere in the outfield or at 2nd base easily.

5. Baltimore Orioles - Andrew Oliver LHP Oklahoma State

6. San Francisco- Kentrail Davis OF University of Tennessee

With a new approach at the plate, Davis has turned into a walk machine with 11 walks in the 1st 6 games of the season along with 3 HR.

7. Atlanta - Matt Purke LHP Klein HS, Texas

8. Reds- Alex White RHP University of North Carolina

Strikeouts are still coming easy but not missing many bats with a hit per inning.
Easy indication of a fastball not moving much....

9. Detroit- Kyle Gibson RHP University of Missouri

10. Nationals- Mike Minor LHP Vanderbilt

Nationals have already said that they will be looking at college arms for their 1st 2 picks and one would imagine that this will be a Boras client with a pre-draft deal already in place with the Strasburg signing. Minor doesn't do anything flashy and doesn't do anything wrong. A very safe pick.

Grant Green has looked completely lost this year. 5 errors in the 1st 7 games along with him looking slower then last year. Could be this years Brandon Crawford.

Couple of players that could play themselve into the 10-15 picks:

Jared Mitchell- OF- LSU

DJ LeMahieu- SS-LSU

This years Gordon Beckham. Questions about power have been answered.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
"Mariners have has a great track record with grooming high profile 5 Tool HS players."

Have any examples of this?

And no, I don't believe that players from 15 years ago (ARod) or 20 years ago (Griffey) count.

Not hammering you, I just can't think of a single "5 tool high school" player that the Mariners have done anything with.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
200lbhockeyplayer said:
"Mariners have has a great track record with grooming high profile 5 Tool HS players."

Have any examples of this?

And no, I don't believe that players from 15 years ago (ARod) or 20 years ago (Griffey) count.

Not hammering you, I just can't think of a single "5 tool high school" player that the Mariners have done anything with.

Adam Jones. They did so much with him that they ended up trading him. That tells you how brilliant the mariners are.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
The fact that the Mariners made something out of Adam Jones, Wladimir Balentien, Carlos Triunfel, Greg Halman, Asdrubal Cabrera. Michael Wilson, and Micheal Sander speaks volumes.

They did sign David Ortiz 1st and then gave gim to the Twins for nothing.

Mariners problems have never been in player development. Its always been bad trades.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
19braves77 said:
The fact that the Mariners made something out of Adam Jones, Wladimir Balentien, Carlos Triunfel, Greg Halman, Asdrubal Cabrera. Michael Wilson, and Micheal Sander speaks volumes.

Mariners problems have never been in player development.

except for Jeff Clement.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
brouthercard said:
19braves77 said:

Mariners problems have never been in player development.

except for Jeff Clement.

... and Halman and Triunfel haven't done anything at the MLB level yet.

jdfoxtrot79

Jan 2, 2009
Washington
Tanner Scheppers should be re-eligible for the draft.

He should easily crack the top 10 in this draft, compared to the top 50 from last year, no?

This time last year, all up and down the west coast there was an excited dull roar that labeled him as a top 15, potentially top 10 pick, and one of the best right handers in the draft (Not as good as Aaron Crow, though, in my books.)

Will he be able to rebound from his injury and crack that top 10 like he has the potential to do or will he be a late 1st round early 2nd rounder again?

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Its always been if the Braves are willing to give you a prospect on your list you dont want him and if the Mariners are asking about a position prospect you might want to keep him.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
19braves77 said:
Its always been if the Braves are willing to give you a prospect on your list you dont want him and if the Mariners are asking about a position prospect you might want to keep him.

I remember the Mariners for such can't miss fielding prospects like Matt Tuiasosopo.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Tanner possible could be Nationals #10 pick but that pick is going to be a Boras client. The whole Mark Texiera to Washington recruitment was done by the Nationals just to appease Mr Boras and the talks that would be coming with Strasburg.

The current players that could go in the Top 10 that are Boras clients: Dustin Ackley, Kentrail Davis, Grant Green, Andy Oliver, Stephen Strasburg, and Donovan Tate, and Mike Minor.

I say Grant Green plays himself out of the Top 15.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
If Crow isn't available at #5 when the O's pick, I'd rather see them snag one of these guys:
(in this order)
Minor
Purke
Harvey
White

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I sincerely doubt Grant Green's stock has fallen that much already. His bat is simply too good.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
NECpilgrims8 said:
It's been 2 weeks into the season. Grant Green hasn't fallen from the top 5 overall after less than 25 AB's.

Talk about jumping the gun....sheesh.
Also, if I remember correctly, Green started off slow the last two years as well.

In regards to his fielding...his bat is getting him drafted, not his glove.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
200lbhockeyplayer said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
It's been 2 weeks into the season. Grant Green hasn't fallen from the top 5 overall after less than 25 AB's.

Talk about jumping the gun....sheesh.
Also, if I remember correctly, Green started off slow the last two years as well.

In regards to his fielding...his bat is getting him drafted, not his glove.

That is correct. He has been a slower started than most, but his bat is the most important part of his stock.

I am more weary of players that start off the first few weeks uber-hot, rather than a slow starter trying to find his stride. Past track records show that the slow starter usually finishes better, making their draft stock higher.

Billy Packer

Aug 7, 2008
19braves77 said:
I seen several of the SEC players already and decided to post a mock for picks 1-10 aqlong with a couple of peeps that should creep unto the Top 20 that you dont see on most list.

Anything else would me a complete PR failure by the Nationals with the main Washington National beatwriters having a Strasburg watch after all his starts.

:lol: I'm laughing at myself after reading your post. I got a package from UD with some make-goods for some damaged cards about 10 days ago. One of the things they sent was a pack of 2008 Sweet Spot and the hit was a USA auto of Strasburg. Obviously I'm not a prospector because though I had heard the name, I had no idea he was in line to be the first pick of the draft. I feel much better about my UD replacements now. :lol:

yanxyanx

Sep 13, 2008
Riverdale, NY
Billy Packer said:
19braves77 said:

:lol: I'm laughing at myself after reading your post. I got a package from UD with some make-goods for some damaged cards about 10 days ago. One of the things they sent was a pack of 2008 Sweet Spot and the hit was a USA auto of Strasburg. Obviously I'm not a prospector because though I had heard the name, I had no idea he was in line to be the first pick of the draft. I feel much better about my UD replacements now. :lol:

Apparently, Strasberg hit 102 on the radar gun last week. Washington would be crazy not to grab this guy. Too bad his stuff isn't cheaper...

Latest posts