Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Does anyone sell stuff on Amazon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jess0304

Oct 10, 2012
There are lots of novelty items that just don't sell well on ebay, and are tough to sell without a brick and mortar store---even with a store they could be tough to sell. In some cases, Amazon seems like prices are significantly higher than other venues and that it attracts the uninformed buyer so they tend to pay higher prices.

I was looking at the fees and they are astronomical---$40/mo subscription to sell plus 20% final value items under $100. They wouldn't be horrible if you're doing big volume, and items are getting higher prices than normal. But there is no way to get completed sales data to see if certain items actually sell and if there is a market for it.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I love Amazon due to its market size, but I hate it because it's a bulky looking store front. I've switched to eCrater.com, which is free. I'm getting ready to start using Google Adwords which will increase hits. I have about $200 in advertising coupons, so why not.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
I was approached by an account executive at Amazon asking me to sell there. They wanted a minimum of 100 listings and I think they were asking for 15%. I just didn't feel comfortable with it and didn't bother. There is no best offer option so I just thought it was really limiting.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
IDK 'cuz I haven't used it, but isn't shipping through Amazon really tough? I also think they limit you to a certain shipping charge, no matter the actual charge.

Can anyone verify that?

jess0304

Oct 10, 2012
bowmanchromeaddict---how did they contact you? Do you only sell modern cards? I'm just wondering how and why they would select you and be willing to give you a better fee structure when there are thousands upon thousands of people listing far more than 100 items?

sabrgeek

Apr 10, 2010
And, if you think about it, the 20 percent fee for COMC is not bad. Many of us automaticlally accept 20 percent off anyway, or I usually do when offered at at thatr level, so since no extra charge to list on Amazon, why not if I'm already on COMC

Buynhisellnlow

Aug 7, 2008
I have also been approached by Amazon multiple times in regards to selling on there but I have declined. I have been approached by Email with them requesting a means to talk to me directly and then, subsequently, I've had conversations with an Amazon Business Development representative on the phone when they called me. Due to time constraints and the demands of my business, I am working towards getting out of cards for the most part. But even before I made that decision, I decided not to sell on Amazon for much the same reasons as Jim outlined above.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
bowmanchromeaddict---how did they contact you? Do you only sell modern cards? I'm just wondering how and why they would select you and be willing to give you a better fee structure when there are thousands upon thousands of people listing far more than 100 items?

Maybe they selected me because of my excellent feedback, significant sales history, and significant number of items currently listed, I don't know. Either way they tried for months and months, with multiple emails and personal phone calls from a guy named Kevin. Perhaps the fact that they identified me and recruited me was why they offered a better discount, or I'm just remembering wrong. It would also appear that you didn't read my comment very well. I said that they required me to open the account with a minimum of 100 listings and I didn't think that I had 100 listings that I'd want to run on Amazon. If they'd take 2 listing I'd go ahead and list some boxes or cases of 2012 Topps Mini, but I don't want to sell singles there because they don't have a Best Offer option.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
I have also been approached by Amazon multiple times in regards to selling on there but I have declined. I have been approached by Email with them requesting a means to talk to me directly and then, subsequently, I've had conversations with an Amazon Business Development representative on the phone when they called me. Due to time constraints and the demands of my business, I am working towards getting out of cards for the most part. But even before I made that decision, I decided not to sell on Amazon for much the same reasons as Jim outlined above.

Precisely.

Members online

Latest posts