Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Doesn't signature confirmation come automatically with items insured for > $200?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I know that's how it's always been unless they changed it recently...yet paypal shipping seems to try to charge $2.20 for signature confirmation as the default option on items of high value (i.e., you'd be paying $2.20 for a service you get free with the insurance cost).

Am I missing something or is paypal/ebay trying to basically scam an extra $2.20 out of people?

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
Signature Confirmation is not automatically included free with anything besides Express Mail. With items insured for over $200, USPS will require a signature for their own records, but will not provide such information online if requested, which is what the Signature Confirmation service is for. For ebay/paypal non-delivery claims of items $250+, you need to have proof of signature online, which can only be obtained if you purchased Signature Confirmation.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Signature Confirmation is not automatically included free with anything besides Express Mail. With items insured for over $200, USPS will require a signature for their own records, but will not provide such information online if requested, which is what the Signature Confirmation service is for. For ebay/paypal non-delivery claims of items $250+, you need to have proof of signature online, which can only be obtained if you purchased Signature Confirmation.

So help me understand, if it's under 250, sig confirmation is not needed to be protected as a seller (I'd still get USPS insurance and delivery confirmation) but if it's over 250 you're just as 'at risk' as you are for not shipping with delivery confirmation? I.e., your tracking is no good unless there's a signature with it?

Thanks for the help.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Here's my $.02 so Im probably wrong with my assessment, however I have never had a problem.................

The USPS requires (or at least that is what it says, depends if the carrier is lazy or not) that anything insured over $200 has to be signed for. Assuming that the receiver comes back to you and states that they never received the item, whether or not that signature shows up in a database you can or cannot see, the USPS will have record of signature or no signature.
If there is no signature or proof of delivery, you have insured the product and the insurance claim should be processed to return the insured value to you. If there is a signature which would show proof of delivery to that party, they will have record of the signature and the name of the person that signed for it.
Would paypal side with you if you showed proof of delivery (signature) and name of the party that signed for it, hard to say, paypal is run by eBay and we all know what a PITA eBay can be for sellers. But if the receiver really wants to attempt to fraud the government, they have some serious balls.

Short version, if I sell something for over $200 and insure it, I do not pay the extra for signature confirmation as I would be paying for the same service twice which is just plain wasteful.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
So help me understand, if it's under 250, sig confirmation is not needed to be protected as a seller (I'd still get USPS insurance and delivery confirmation) but if it's over 250 you're just as 'at risk' as you are for not shipping with delivery confirmation? I.e., your tracking is no good unless there's a signature with it?

Thanks for the help.

If your item is $250+, and the buyer claims non-receipt, the tracking must show that the item was signed for. If it's only delivery confirmation without a signature, it's treated the same as no tracking whatsoever by ebay/paypal, and you automatically lose the case while the buyer gets a refund.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
sig confirmation needed for sellers protection on sales over 250. Under 250 is delivery conf

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I don't know if you can buy insurance coverage over $200 and still ship 1st Class; meaning it's Priority, and Priority includes signature/tracking.

cartersprings

Aug 7, 2008
MN
I don't need PayPal to back me if I got insurance.

USPS won't honor the insurance if it is delivered (unless it's damaged, with proof), so if the buyer claimed it wasn't received you'd be sol.

To be covered sig confirmation is needed, even in addition to the required signature for insurance. It's not ideal but it's how PayPal operates.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
I won a claim because a $400 card showed up as being delivered, but I didn't get it. The seller sent with delivery confirmation only. Paypal sided with me and refunded my money immediately.

I always pay for the signature confirmation and the insurance.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
I won a claim because a $400 card showed up as being delivered, but I didn't get it. The seller sent with delivery confirmation only. Paypal sided with me and refunded my money immediately.

I always pay for the signature confirmation and the insurance.

Same thing happened to me on a Harper A&G RC auto redemption. However, DC said it was dlvd so Paypal and USPS said I was SOL. Out $250 on that one.

-------------------------------------

Need Moustakas, Hosmer and patches.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
Same thing happened to me on a Harper A&G RC auto redemption. However, DC said it was dlvd so Paypal and USPS said I was SOL. Out $250 on that one.

I reminded them that they need to get my signature on the tracking, and they said yes, the seller did not fulfill his portion of the deal because it was over $250, so here is your money back.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
I reminded them that they need to get my signature on the tracking, and they said yes, the seller did not fulfill his portion of the deal because it was over $250, so here is your money back.

I wasn't home. I was watching the tracking while I was at work. Saw t changed to dlvd and was wondering how. Figured there would be a pink slip in my box. No pink slip and no package. Weird thing is that I got three packages that day. The tracking on the Harper was two hours after the other two packages were scanned. Everyone told me I was SOL. I argued with them for about two months, before I finally have up.

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
USPS won't honor the insurance if it is delivered (unless it's damaged, with proof), so if the buyer claimed it wasn't received you'd be sol.

To be covered sig confirmation is needed, even in addition to the required signature for insurance. It's not ideal but it's how PayPal operates.

You try and tell people this and they just don't believe you

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Went digging for this thread.

If theoretically you ship the item with signature confirmation and no insurance, you would be ok wouldn't you (and the buyer would be in trouble?) I still can't believe the redundancy is needed other than to pad their pockets...

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Went digging for this thread.

If theoretically you ship the item with signature confirmation and no insurance, you would be ok wouldn't you (and the buyer would be in trouble?) I still can't believe the redundancy is needed other than to pad their pockets...

Only if the item is actually signed for. If it doesn't make it to its destination, you'll be out for the value unless you've insured it.

Members online

Latest posts