Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2014 Draft Competitive Balance Lottery Results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
2014 Competitive Balance Lottery Results
By Steve Adams [July 17, 2013 at 4:47pm CST]

The Competitive Balance Lottery for the 2014 MLB Draft took place today. Twelve competitive balance picks are awarded, with the first six taking place after the first round's conclusion and the next six taking place following conclusion of the second round. Here are the results, per MLB.com (Twitter links)...

Competitive Balance Round A

Rockies
Orioles
Indians
Marlins
Royals
Brewers

Competitive Balance Round B

Padres
Diamondbacks
Cardinals
Rays
Pirates
Mariners

As explained by MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo, the teams in the 10 smallest markets and teams with the 10 lowest revenues were eligible to be entered into the Round A lottery. This doesn't mean there were 20 teams in the lottery, as there's overlap in that criteria. All teams who don't win a pick in the first round are re-entered into the second round, along with any team that received revenue sharing this year, which accounted only for the Mariners.

These picks are eligible to be traded, as we saw in 2012. Last year, the Tigers and Marlins swapped Competitive Balance picks as part of the Anibal Sanchez trade. The Marlins received a second Competitive Balance pick when they traded Gaby Sanchez to the Pirates in the offseason.

The A's and Reds are the two eligible teams from this year's selection that were not awarded a Competitive Balance pick.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
with revenue sharing and a cap on international player signing money, do we really need this competitive ballance lottery?

cards01fan

Sep 4, 2008
While I don't think it would be bigger than the NFL draft I do think picks should be eligible for trade.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
Make ever pick tradable and the baseball draft would be bigger than the NFL's.

Logic behind this? Not being condescending....I just fail to see how it would be.

With the NFL draft, most first rounders get garunteed money and are legit stars of the future who had huge college followings.

In Baseball, there are max 3 or 4 can't miss big names in the draft with literally thousands of unknown college and high school kids (even unknown to some prospectors) mixed in. I don't see how this makes anything more exciting.

kerryfan5

Sep 17, 2012
Ohio thourgh Dickinson, N.D.
Logic behind this? Not being condescending....I just fail to see how it would be.

With the NFL draft, most first rounders get garunteed money and are legit stars of the future who had huge college followings.

In Baseball, there are max 3 or 4 can't miss big names in the draft with literally thousands of unknown college and high school kids (even unknown to some prospectors) mixed in. I don't see how this makes anything more exciting.

What makes prospecting fun? Team or player? If teams move around on the draft it would give more hype to the player they take? On top of that if a team moves up to draft a player than the player will ask for more cash. The cycle would be huge. The one thing that would have to happen is a much smaller draft by rounds.

Members online

Latest posts