Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

IP autograph different than card releases

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Today, Todd Frazier of the Reds was signing auto's locally and I showed up, paid the $$ and got his signature. It looks nothing like any of the auto's on his cards from topps or paninni.

So, other than me witnessing him signing, how can I say, "Hey here's Todd Frazier's auto on my basball" then show a card from topps/paninni and look totally different?

cards signed by ghost signer? signed by agent? by girlfriend?

I'll post pics when I get to my phone.

Fordman

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
He could have changed it, or he just either rushed the card autos or the IP autos. Generally players seem to have much much better autos when at a sit down IP signing.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Post the team you collect along with your FCB name, and I'll add you to the lst.

Angels: weavermania, nimster, angelsrockies4ever
Astros: Anthony K.
Athletics: RickeyRuns, onehrk
Blue Jays: Mypens66, thefatguy, Autismic, aarne13
Braves: DaleMurphyCollector
Brewers: BrewerSuperCollector, LaBlueFan
Cardinals: Kozma Collector, Skorris (CCBC), lordsepic
Cubs: IndyMann, monty01, collectingking, Pastretta, RandomH
Diamondbacks: nkdbacks, jdpreas
Dodgers: yankeefan1988, dgrimes248, TNP777, pray4mojo, LaBlueFan
Giants: jdpreas
Indians: Jakpi20, PronkDH48
Mariners: magplaidmxpx, thefatguy, metallicalex777, SeattleFanTillIDie
Marlins: thecollector24
Mets: jbzell1, thenumberonemetfan, ThoseBackPages
Nationals: Dell Sportcards
Orioles: allstarauction, Terry
Padres: Seiya
Phillies: Utleyfan1, Jeff N., Lancemountain
Pirates: tramers, meucci67, robboshow, subject to change
Rangers: CowboyfanInLR
Rays: Jaypers, cowboysrule48, Jeff N.
Red Sox: beefycheddar, bigpapima32, martycordova23, Johnny B, madman1978, Ct Sox Fan, martycordova23
Reds:
Rockies: Smoney17, angelsrockies4ever, 17ROCKIES12, Superfractor
Royals: brokenliz1(AlexGordonFan), Frow
Tigers: jeremy, Jake, rookie380, walter55, rctdw
Twins: Lally1, magplaidmxpx, pac_rat_76
White Sox: egon8, sethyarkony, chisox3706
Yankees: promodeltodd, ostrander111, dano7, imac220

----------------
Akron Aeros: PronkDH48
Hickory Crawdads Former Players: tramers
Expos: jarcar
Cubs Greats/Hofers: thenumberonemetfan

What the? This was me quoting Brian's post. Was going to say he had to be joking about the rep being present but this came up instead

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Many players have different versions of their autograph for different purposes, or have changed their autographs at some point in their career.

Then there is Miguel Sano. No two autographs are the same.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Care to elaborate? Or are you STILL trying to get in touch with Cierre Wood to figure out who inscribed his cards?

A lot of companies send stickers. We all know that. A company would go bankrupt trying to witness every auto unless a ton of different players could be done at one place in one sitting.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
A lot of companies send stickers. We all know that. A company would go bankrupt trying to witness every auto unless a ton of different players could be done at one place in one sitting.

I don't know that.

Direct quote from the back of a Topps card: "The signing of all Topps autograph cards is witnessed by a Topps representative to guarantee authenticity."

Last year at the National, I was told by Topps reps that the above quote includes stickers.

I would like to know what BG knows, especially since he chimed in on this.

By the way, I'm not a hater of Leaf or BG. I am not attempting to attack him in any way. I have read plenty of his posts, and it seems like he is very familiar with the legal process, including slander and libel. Because of this, I feel confident that he wouldn't have made his comment without knowing specifics. Since he replied specifically to my post, I'd like him to elaborate.

In other words, this specific can of worms was intentionally opened by BG.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Since many athletes have tweeted/posted pictures of themselves signing stickers or cards from various locations without anyone else present, wouldn't it be relatively easy for some to bring legal action against these statements? Or is there actually someone else there? Or is there some legal BS in the ccontracts that make the athletes themselves "representatives for a day"? Just thinking out loud, no clue how this works

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Uh, I've seen sticker autos that had wording on the back similar to "the autograph on this card was obtained from and personally signed by xxxx. It has been guaranteed as being authentic by said athlete to us. Congratulations and enjoy your autograph.".

Now maybe only UD or Fleer did this. But there is no way in hell I'd believe topps gets every person to sign in front of a company rep. Even if they say they do, I'd never believe it. I'd have to think that they would literally go bankrupt trying to witness every autograph signing. Or the price per product would go up.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Since many athletes have tweeted/posted pictures of themselves signing stickers or cards from various locations without anyone else present, wouldn't it be relatively easy for some to bring legal action against these statements? Or is there actually someone else there? Or is there some legal BS in the ccontracts that make the athletes themselves "representatives for a day"? Just thinking out loud, no clue how this works

How do we know if the Topps employee was taking a nap, a bathroom or smoke break while the athlete was taking and Tweeting the photo of him [or her] signing?

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
Today, Todd Frazier of the Reds was signing auto's locally and I showed up, paid the $$ and got his signature. It looks nothing like any of the auto's on his cards from topps or paninni.

So, other than me witnessing him signing, how can I say, "Hey here's Todd Frazier's auto on my basball" then show a card from topps/paninni and look totally different?

cards signed by ghost signer? signed by agent? by girlfriend?

I'll post pics when I get to my phone.

Fordman

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/baseball/124899-thanks-psa-dna.html

If you ever read this thread you would see that some player's certified autographs may be all be similar but their ip ones may be 100% different. This is the case in different degrees with many signers.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
How do we know if the Topps employee was taking a nap, a bathroom or smoke break while the athlete was taking and Tweeting the photo of him [or her] signing?

Yeah that's kinda what I'm asking in the next part. Surely someone has asked a player or 2

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Can we see the pictures of this Frazier???? Always get people claiming this stuff then never back it up. Also remember we have a lot of card collectors who believe everything they read on card no questions asked. Just ask game used card sheep.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Sorry for the delay, here is a comparison. The Topps Tribute card was bought on eBay and is consistant to others I have and the TriStar ProDebut it what I had gotten today.

frazier.jpg

also here is a ball he signed for me and looks nothing like his others.

frazierball.jpg

Sorry for the bad scan.....

Fordman

Attachments

• frazier.jpg
    frazier.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
They look similar, not that drastic of a difference to be to concerned. I think it has more to do with what he is signing larger space on a card to sign versus a baseball.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
The card and the ball seem pretty dang close. And yeah, I'll bet he got tired of signing for topps. That was probably his millionth auto of the day with all their parallels and whatnot!

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
And there are some topps products that don't even have wording regarding whether the auto was witnessed. Not to say it was or wasn't, but it's not even mentioned on the card one way or the other. A couple of examples:

Alexi Ogando Certified Auto RC 2011 Topps Chrome 188 Texas Rangers Pitcher | eBay

2008 Topps Stadium Club Felix Pie Beam Team Autograph Chicago Cubs | eBay

2013 Bowman Chrome Gregory Polanco Autograph Auto Pirates | eBay

My question would be is why is the wording on some cards and not others? In any case, for the most part, I do trust the companies that they are at least getting the card/stickers to the players for signing purposes.

Members online