Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Washington Nationals - offensively challenged?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stricklcp

Jun 15, 2013
ATL
Why can't this years Nats team score on a regular basis? I've noticed it's one game with 12 hits....the next 5 games they'll struggle to get 4 hits. Thoughts?

Dmscards

Apr 2, 2013
Los Angeles
Why can't this years Nats team score on a regular basis? I've noticed it's one game with 12 hits....the next 5 games they'll struggle to get 4 hits. Thoughts?

Usually poor offense stems from a team that is poor offensively which they are in fact besides Miami they may be the worst offensive team.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly

All the NL East teams have this problem. Both the Braves and Phils score in short bursts, then take the rest of the week off. Too many Strikeouts and LHers in the everyday lineup and not very many solid OPS guys. Still don't understand the Braves letting the consistently on-base Bourn go and replacing him with a .200-ish hitter.

Seriously, Jimmy Rollins in lead-off spot again? Ugh. And with Revere out especially, the Phils are likely to struggle to get guys on base ahead of the reliable hitters.

And the Marlins just flat-out suck. Tim Tebow might score before they do...

Todd44

Nov 25, 2008
The starting pitching has been good enough. I don't know how to quantify it, but it seems that they're almost too patient at the plate and not aggressive enough. So many called third strikes, and this seems to be a reflection of Jayson Werth's approach that has caught on with guys like Ryan Zimmerman and Adam LaRoche. Combined with the fact that they don't have a very good leadoff hitter (Span hasn't been as good as predicted) and lack a middle of the order bat like Mike Morse was when healthy and it's been a disaster on offense. The starting pitching has been adequate. Not great, but good enough.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
The starting pitching has been good enough. I don't know how to quantify it, but it seems that they're almost too patient at the plate and not aggressive enough. So many called third strikes, and this seems to be a reflection of Jayson Werth's approach that has caught on with guys like Ryan Zimmerman and Adam LaRoche. Combined with the fact that they don't have a very good leadoff hitter (Span hasn't been as good as predicted) and lack a middle of the order bat like Mike Morse was when healthy and it's been a disaster on offense. The starting pitching has been adequate. Not great, but good enough.

Yeah but the bullpen has been pretty bad.

Todd44

Nov 25, 2008
Yeah, you're right, though it's better now since Zach Duke and Henry Rodriguez are gone. Krol has been a nice surprise and Clippard has been very good. I can't quite figure Storen out though.
Yeah but the bullpen has been pretty bad.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I blame Bryce Harper.

He could be a big distraction. Plus he's really been an average contributor so far this year, and a below average contributor in July.

EDIT: ESPN projects him to only have 21 HRs, 47 RBIs and a .264 average at the end of the year.

Last edited:

Todd44

Nov 25, 2008
A big distraction? He's one of the few players on the team with any heart or passion. He also missed 30-plus games in the first half and played hurt in others, so his numbers are skewed lower. I'll take anyone's bet that if he doesn't hit the DL again, he'll hit more than 21 home runs this year.

He could be a big distraction. Plus he's really been an average contributor so far this year, and a below average contributor in July.

EDIT: ESPN projects him to only have 21 HRs, 47 RBIs and a .264 average at the end of the year.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
A big distraction? He's one of the few players on the team with any heart or passion. He also missed 30-plus games in the first half and played hurt in others, so his numbers are skewed lower. I'll take anyone's bet that if he doesn't hit the DL again, he'll hit more than 21 home runs this year.

Being different than other guys on the team alone makes him a distraction - never mind the absolute avalanche of daily media attention he receives.

It will be interesting to see his final 2013 stats.

chuckbartowski

Jan 2, 2009
Yeah...the Braves have been shut out 11 times this season. Their offense is about as inconsistent as it gets. Only consistent hitters in the lineup are Chris Johnson and Freddie Freeman.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Case in point - tonight.

Strasburg pitched his best outing of the year so far (8 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 12 K) - and is in line for the loss.

Blah. :(

Todd44

Nov 25, 2008
Strasburg's night was actually historic: first pitcher in the modern era (since 1901) ever to go 8 innings, give up one run, strike out 12, walk none, and get the loss.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Strasburg has a 2.85 era but is 5-8.
That's not right.
Reminds me of 1987 when Nolan Ryan went 8-16 but won the NL era title at 2.76

Members online

Latest posts