Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I need an all-in-one printer/scanner to scan my baseball cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I know these threads pop up all the time, but I am in need of a wireless (WiFi compatible) printer/scanner with CCD scanning technology for under or around $200, under is better. I see the Canon PIXMA MP990 suggested a lot and it is exactly what I want, but I really don't want to spend $300+. Any other options? What do you suggest?

Last edited:

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
The MP990 isn't readily available....this is though. I didn't think there was one left on the market with a CCD til I did this search. May need to try order one myself. The MG8220 is ccd based

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
The MP990 isn't readily available....this is though. I didn't think there was one left on the market with a CCD til I did this search. May need to try order one myself. The MG8220 is ccd based

That one looks pretty perfect, minus the ink guzzling. I found some on Amazon. I might have to try it. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Can someone enlighten me on CCD and it's advantages for cards?

Thanks

It's basically just a different scanning mechanism than the normal CIS ones that the majority of printers/scanners have. It uses a light source to backlight the scan, where as the CIS ones are just a lightless scan. CCD is best for slabs because of the light it emits. They are much brighter and clearer.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Cool, thanks. Does it matter for raw cards, or just slabs?

Raw cards scan well on a CIS scanner. CCD is best for slabs or raw cards in thick card holders (like buyback autos and such). But of course, everything scans better in CCD because of the light source and higher DPI.

P.S. Any plans to do Voodoo Fest? Me and my GF were in New Orleans last year for 8 days and didn't want to leave and now we want to go again to Voodoo Fest. Shout-out to Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop and it's pianist, Mike Hood... our favorite bar in the world! :p

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
Can someone enlighten me on CCD and it's advantages for cards?

Thanks

CCD is the same type of sensor a camera uses. It has a greater depth of field than a CIS. The CIS sensor will focus on the closest item in the scan, where the CCD can take in multiple levels clearly.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I assume the reason you want the multifunction device is to save space/connections, but you can get better quality parts buying separately for a similar price.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I assume the reason you want the multifunction device is to save space/connections, but you can get better quality parts buying separately for a similar price.

I found the Canon PIXMA MG8220 for $140.

It's all-in-one, CCD scanning, wireless and seems great for the price. Here's another if anyone wants one;

Brand New?canon PIXMA MG8220 Wireless Color Inkjet Photo All in One Printer 013803136562 | eBay

Edit - Oh crap. It was $139.99 with free shipping just last night.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts