Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Matt Kemp wants the 2011 MVP from Braun stripped. Should PED users be stripped of awards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Matt Kemp today said the 2011 MVP award that Braun won should be stripped. He says he's upset about it, but it's MLB's decision.

Many PED users have won awards, like Bonds, Clemens, Canseco, Caminiti, Braun, Giambi, Arod, and suspected users like Juan Gonzalez, Mo Vaughn and Pudge.

So should MVP and Cy Young awards be stripped from confirmed or admitted users? (not suspected players, of course)

Lance Armstrong had his Tour de France titles taken away.

Olympians like Marian Jones have had their gold medals taken away.

Why shouldn't baseball players have their awards stripped, if they either fail a drug test like Braun or Arod, or admit after their career that they used steroids, like Canseco or Caminiti?

Last edited:

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Baseball is much more complicated than a bicycle race or a gymnastic event, so I can't see them awarding honors and victories to runners-up. The best I can see them doing is vacating awards and victories, but even that seems unlikely to happen. Who is to say how Kemp would've performed if Braun wasn't around; some would even argue that Kemp was on the juice for all we knew.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
Matt Kemp wants the 2011 MVP from Braun. Should PED users be stripped of awards?

I think Kemp needs to shut it and play better this year. 2011 is dead and gone.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Matt Kemp wants the 2011 MVP from Braun. Should PED users be stripped of awards?

Vacate the 2011 MVP with no recipient.

Dmscards

Apr 2, 2013
Los Angeles

I always thought Kemp had better numbers that year and deserved it anyway.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Baseball is much more complicated than a bicycle race or a gymnastic event, so I can't see them awarding honors and victories to runners-up. The best I can see them doing is vacating awards and victories, but even that seems unlikely to happen. Who is to say how Kemp would've performed if Braun wasn't around; some would even argue that Kemp was on the juice for all we knew.

Definitely agree with the bold statement. There's just too much revising that would be needed. (Setting some guidelines going forward may not be a bad idea though).

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
Re: Matt Kemp wants the 2011 MVP from Braun. Should PED users be stripped of awards?

Yes
Frank Thomas lost the MVP trophy in 2000 to Jason Giambi who had a press conference and apologized to his fans for letting them down but never actually had the stones to admit to anything.

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
Re: Matt Kemp wants the 2011 MVP from Braun. Should PED users be stripped of awards?

I always thought Kemp had better numbers that year and deserved it anyway.

Because he did. And he was on my fantasy team that year.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I think Kemp needs to shut it and play better this year. 2011 is dead and gone.

Agreed. It's hard to see why Kemp would even comment on this. I know he had an incredible 2011 season, but at this point in the game, why even talk about it? How about you focus on your team getting into first place with your latest win surge?

With that being said....Braun is scum.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
I do think Braun should be stripped of his MVP, but I don't think it would look good for Kemp to accept it 2 years later. Kemp should just go about his business knowing he was the real MVP and no further actions needed.

Members online

Latest posts