Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is it worth setting up as a dealer in these economic times?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
At a card show? Just wondering if anyone has been setting up at shows as a dealer lately? Hows business been going? Whats been selling good for you? What is not selling at all? What are people buying more of, wax or singles? Are you having to "give stuff away"? Does anyone pay above ebay prices for inperson deals at card shows?

Any other tips or suggestions for setting up at a show in these poor economic times?

Wes

OG
Administrator
G $MONEY$ said:
At a card show? Just wondering if anyone has been setting up at shows as a dealer lately? Hows business been going? Whats been selling good for you? What is not selling at all? What are people buying more of, wax or singles? Are you having to "give stuff away"? Does anyone pay above ebay prices for inperson deals at card shows?

Any other tips or suggestions for setting up at a show in these poor economic times?

Get at least 50% of my sales from the $1 toploader/fill up a team back with pennysleeved singles for $5 box. I don't sell wax currently.

G

set up a strip club if you want to make some monies...or promote acai on facebook

GTJ558

Jan 26, 2009
G $MONEY$ said:
Bump for more responses :)

i'll be at hofstra with a buddy of mine sat. after i take a test, he will be there before i. so if you want prospects, i think between the few of us who sprang for the table, you might find stuff you want. so i'll find out this weekend if its worth it

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
It al depends on what you have and what you want as far as pricing goes. Sometimes its a crap shoot. Sink or swim right now. I know there is plenty of cash floating around the shows.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
Around here it is not worth it....but in other places I go to it is....just depends on the market and what you are selling. Market is pretty well dead here now...

TK

bdal23

Aug 7, 2008
Right now its best to be the buyer. Most of the guys setting up will be hurting because of the situation with the economy.
Selling is going to be tough but in this market you need to have deals. I wouldnt even bother putting out high end singles. My table would be cheap autos game used and singles. all priced well below book. Lately this is what Ive used shows for.
I also am able to buy so that is usually how I make most of my money

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
ThoseBackPages said:
any time someone gives you real dollars for cardboard, it's worth it. set up, have a good time.

Even when it's costing you more real dollars to set up than you would bring in at the show?

Wes

OG
Administrator
bdal23 said:
Right now its best to be the buyer. Most of the guys setting up will be hurting because of the situation with the economy.
Selling is going to be tough but in this market you need to have deals. I wouldnt even bother putting out high end singles. My table would be cheap autos game used and singles. all priced well below book. Lately this is what Ive used shows for.
I also am able to buy so that is usually how I make most of my money

It's also notable that as a dealer people are often willing to try and sell to you for a low price since you're paying for your table - some good buys to be had from behind the table.

i43770

Aug 7, 2008
Portland, OR
I do a show semi regularly, 6-8 months a year. I usually do my best when I have a lot of low end cards; 3200 ct boxes of commons, 25/50 cent star and insert cards, and 8-15bv GU/Auto cards. I have tried to change up a few times and sell higher than usual cards (instead of 8-15bv GU/Auto cards, having quite a bit more 25-50bv cards) and I usually go home with a lot more cards or have to blow it out to sell anything.

I am doing a show this weekend, almost all of my 8ft table will be cards that will sell for $5 or less. I will have a box with $3 each or 4/$10, full of lower end GU/Autos and inserts (8-20bv range). I expect to pretty much sell out at this show.

Some of the dealers at this show focus on only higher end cards (100bv and up), but usually end up packing most of their stuff up at the end of the show. Most people just look at their cards like they are in a museum though.

I completely agree with TBP, if someone is willing to give me money for this cardboard, it is a good day. I actually enjoy the aspect of actually talking to people, instead of typing on a keyboard or watching bids on a screen.

As for your question about people paying more than eBay prices, I think they do, to an extent. People would rather see the card and have it in hand today, compared to trusting the seller to listing it honestly and packaging it correctly.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to get everything out in one post.

i43770

Aug 7, 2008
Portland, OR
JVC said:
ThoseBackPages said:
any time someone gives you real dollars for cardboard, it's worth it. set up, have a good time.

Even when it's costing you more real dollars to set up than you would bring in at the show?

I'm not sure how much it costs at other shows for a table. But I have never had a show where I didn't cover my expenses to do the show. I also have cards with my eBay screen name on them that I give to people, that way I can possibly get sales after the show as well.

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
i43770 said:
JVC said:
ThoseBackPages said:

I'm not sure how much it costs at other shows for a table. But I have never had a show where I didn't cover my expenses to do the show. I also have cards with my eBay screen name on them that I give to people, that way I can possibly get sales after the show as well.

At smaller shows, it isn't too hard to cover your costs, but I'm talking about the 200+ table shows where a booth (two 8 foot tables) will cost you $300-400. I have set up at some shows and have barely broken even between what I paid for the booth and my net sales (let alone my profit margin).

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
It's a great time to set up not to sell, but there are some great collections out there for you to buy as a dealer.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
i43770 said:
JVC said:
ThoseBackPages said:

This is something i plan on doing as well. I was also gonna throw my cell phone number on there incase someone wants to deal at a later date or wants to leave consignments with me.

A question for consignment sellers... what percent do you guys charge? and do you charge the same amount no matter the value of the card?

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
Like ebay/other card selling venues, depends on the show, cards offered, + dealer. Mall show in the middle of nowhere? Probably not going to do so great, but that’s been true for awhile for most (not all) mall shows. Larger shows like white plains, nationals, tristar, Hollywood park, etc.? you can still do well if your prices are reasonable. Also, I find having cheap boxes- ex. $5/gu card, .25-$1 singles, 3 for $10 etc. will make you quite a bit of $ as people love going through those boxes + feel like they’re getting a lot more bang for their $ if they walk away w/a bunch of cards than 1 card for $100. plus, card collectors are hoarders, so if they take the time to sift through those boxes, they often spend more than they intended.

consignment rates vary by person/card/widget/amount of work involved- @ least for me. generally i take X% of net after ebay, pp, supply fees.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
rainmanesq said:
Like ebay/other card selling venues, depends on the show, cards offered, + dealer. Mall show in the middle of nowhere? Probably not going to do so great, but that’s been true for awhile for most (not all) mall shows. Larger shows like white plains, nationals, tristar, Hollywood park, etc.? you can still do well if your prices are reasonable. Also, I find having cheap boxes- ex. $5/gu card, .25-$1 singles, 3 for $10 etc. will make you quite a bit of $ as people love going through those boxes + feel like they’re getting a lot more bang for their $ if they walk away w/a bunch of cards than 1 card for $100. plus, card collectors are hoarders, so if they take the time to sift through those boxes, they often spend more than they intended.

consignment rates vary by person/card/widget/amount of work involved- @ least for me. generally i take X% of net after ebay, pp, supply fees.

It seems like everyone is saying to have a "cheap box" out, this is something i wasn't planning on doing, but will have to give it ago it looks like.

So you don't have a flat rate when you take consignments? What do your rates average at (if you want to answer publicly)?

Latest posts