Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How would the hobby react?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
The Phillies just signed Miguel Gonzalez for a zillion bucks.

Let's say that for whatever reason, he Decides to not sign any contract to appear on any cards from any company.

Four yrs go by and he has established himself as a dominating super star.

He changes his mind and finally appears on a Topps card, five yrs after he debuted.

How would the hobby react? Would you consider it his rc?

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
It would be a slight disappointment but in the end it might not matter and there will always be other guys to chase.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Didn't A-Rod hold off from signing with Topps until like the year 2000? People still chase him but don't consider his first Topps card a rookie. Beckett at one point used to put FTC by the player in the card listings to signify first topps card.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I thought topps had a contract with the MLBPA and the MLB to make cards regardless. Arod has topps cards. Just no autos before 2000 I believe. Just like Bagwell has very few if any topps autos. In fact I haven't memorized his whole checklist but he may not have any topps autos whatsoever.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Like, if Matt Weiters gets red hot again? He's got nothing official from Topps really. All he has is that 2009 UD stuff, and various unlicensed releases.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
There's been examples, somewhat, in the past.

Arod's first Topps was 1998. But he had Rc's, draft pick cards and prospect cards for years before that.

1980's guys like Danny Jackson and Kevin mcreynolds had similar situations to arod.

Even if weiters only had razor cards and nothing else, at least he has something on cardboard.

But I don't think the example I asked about has ever happened....thankfully.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I'd consider it a first card but not a rookie card.

Great question though... our hobby isn't sophisticated enough to have an established nomenclature for many things... think how the first card in a print run or a jersey #'d card is a '1/1' to some sellers, Leaf has 'superfractor' cards according to some sellers, minor league players are on 'major league cards'. Usually whomever is selling the card is going to try to tell whomever could be buying the card what it is ha ha.

tim carroll

Feb 15, 2009
I think you'd see a company slip a few copies of him in just to drum up some crazy box/case sales.....ala Topps with Alex Gordon in '06.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
If he does not have any previous cards I think the hobby will view it (for the most part) as a rookie card. With A-Rod he had other cards which IMO kept the interest in his Topps cards down.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I thought topps had a contract with the MLBPA and the MLB to make cards regardless. Arod has topps cards. Just no autos before 2000 I believe. Just like Bagwell has very few if any topps autos. In fact I haven't memorized his whole checklist but he may not have any topps autos whatsoever.
Topps does not have a blanket contract with the MLBPA, just a small token contract that allows them to put the MLBPA copyright in the legal language. They have to sign every single player to an individual contract. Some of them simply say no.

Members online