Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Long, potentially boring nostalgia post. Or, "Where Have You Gone, Biff Pocoroba?"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
So, over the past few weeks I decided to reassemble my favorite Topps set ever, 1978. As I have been cleaning out my childhood home (and the Garage of Doom), I kept coming across random stacks of my old 1978s. Being it is the summer and I have way too much time on my hands, I figured I would try to put them all together again. I knew that way back then I had the entire set (minus one card, but more on that later), so I figured that even if I was missing a few I could get them off ebay. But I REALLY wanted to put together as many originals, regardless of their condition, as possible, to make it more "mine." So, I began.

After sorting through about 1100 1978s, digging out orphans from binders, and looking in odd places around the joint, I found that I had about 700 of the 726. Great! I ordered the remainders (grudgingly) from comc and ebay "pick" lots. But, before those arrived, I managed to find about a dozen more in weird locations around the house/garage. Of the ones I could NOT find, a few were big names (Munson, Schmidt) but the rest were commons (Ron Pruitt, Eddie Solomon).

However, as I sorted and bindered my 78s, I was brought back to the days of kidhood where I and who, to protect the identity of the jerk, will call "Jeff" were in a race to complete our sets. We were both pretty close until I finally needed just ONE card: Buck Martinez #571 . Like an idiot, I let Jeff know that I only needed that one to finish, and, even though he had THREE of them, he refused to trade it to me, even for a REGGIE JACKSON! Eventually, as the 1979 Topps began to appear on the shelves of Joe's Market in Huntington Beach, I, without the benefits of either ebay or card stores back then, gave up and settled for an almost complete set. This is probably why I didn't keep them all together, but let them disperse like war refugees in the battle for Cardboard Completion.

I will repeat: Jeff was (and presumably, still is) a jerk.

So, I caved and ordered a Buck card from an ebay lot and, fittingly, placed it in the binder last of all. My cards are beat to Albuquerque in most cases, but I would prefer these copies to a gem mint 10 any day of the week.

The set had so many great players, probably a dozen (at least) Hall of Famers. I was also reminded while sorting of how many had passed on. Impossible, at the age of 46, to not extend their mortality to my own. If these perfect athletes couldn't live forever, what does that really say about me?

As I look through the binder now, I am brought back to those awesome BeeGees-infused, non-cellphone, cholesterol-unaware, non-billpaying days of my youth. The cards still give me that weird thrill they did back then. I scanned a few that had particularly strong connections and put them below.

First, a checklist, marked, erased, remarked to reflect trades, losses, thefts (probably Jeff):

Then, a phenom of whose memories I still smile when I recall them, Mark "The Bird" Fidrych:

ORANGE!!!

Bake McBride. Such a smooth fielder, runner, hitter.

Nolan Ryan, in all his miscut splendor. And pictured with his only proper team, too!

I would have to admit that the only real reason that I can think of that he was a favorite was because of his awesome name. Not just Biff, but POCOROBA? Come on!

Ken Griffey. He and all the rest of the Big Red Machine were just so awesome. As a Dodger/Angel fan, it sometimes felt like sacrilege, but I loved watching the Reds play.

SHWOOOOFFFFF! That was the sound my dorky friends and I (but probably not Jeff because he was too "cool" for that) would make when we imagined what the pitch would have sounded like after being launched by Marty in this photo:

The exact moment when childhood ended for me (my own JFK assassination moment) came on the morning I heard that my then favorite Angel, Lyman Bostock, had been shot to death in a case of mistaken identity. A class act all around. When modern day players XXXXX about their unfair contracts, I am reminded of how Lyman tried to return his salary after being ashamed of having an off year. Truly, RIP Lyman. You are missed.

The Man, the Myth, the Elusive Legend, Buck Martinez. Seriously, why did I have 8 Mike Garman's, but ZERO Buck Martinezes? The enigma of cardboard right here:

And, finally, going from left to right, the #1 and #2 greatest baseball cards in the history of the world. The two single most treasured cards in my entire collection, creases, soft corners, and all. The photography, the awesome 70's font for the team names, the never-to-be-improved-upon All-Star logo? Perfection:

I could have written a commentary on every single card in the 1978 Topps set, but will spare your eyes. I don't really watch baseball anymore and only know a few current players' names, but I am happy with this set.

Last edited:

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Re: Long, potentially boring nostalgia post. Or, "Where Have You Gone, Biff Pocoroba?"

Great read! Thanks for sharing!

Sent using the Freedom Card Board mobile app.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Nice. I'm sure many collectors could write similar stories about the 19xx Topps Set that really embodies how they came to love the hobby or otherwise has special personal significance (1981 for me). Original owner sets deserve a special place in the hobby.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Best thread on this board in a long time. Thanks for posting it!
The 1985 Topps set gives me similar memories.

By the way, you should toss around that new shiny, sharp Buck Martinez for a few minutes so it matches the rest of your original cards.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
This thread is like an excerpt from this book. The author even has a few pages on Bostock's card.

CardBoardGods.jpg

If you grew up collecting during the late 70's, early 80's, you owe it to yourself to read this book.

Great stuff - love that the set is your original cards, in well loved condition!

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Andrew,
It is those memories of the cards, players and memories of when we originally bought them, that keep us collecting.
Enjoy!
DANNY

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
Re: Long, potentially boring nostalgia post. Or, "Where Have You Gone, Biff Pocoroba?"

Thanks, guys. Was a ton of fun to write up some memories of that set.

Brad, that book is a WONDERFUL read for anyone even slightly interested in that era. Similar to The Great American Flipping Trading Baseball Card Book (title is something like that).

I am tempted to tweak the Martinez card, but will probably keep it as is. Would love to get that one signed by Buck some day.

Dano, you are right about the memories we have of our favorite sets.

I am always interested to hear about people's sentimental favorite cards/sets. For me, the 1978s were special for several reasons. First, I flat out love the design/photography of the set. And this isn't some fond hindsight thing, either ; I felt that way back in 78 when I would compare them to the 77 or 76 sets. Nowhere near the attachment. Also, it was the first set I actively attempted to put together through buying packs at Joe's Market (still there, by the way). Lastly, it was the last year in which my friends collected together. The next year I entered junior high and, like the teen lemming that I was, I succumbed to the teasing of my now-cool friends and slowed down my card buying. I still bought cards in 1979, but did it by myself and on the down low. Each year it tapered off as I got older and "wiser". By my junior year in high school (1984), it had stopped completely. I got back into it in 1988 and enjoyed it, but realized hat it could never match that amazing year, 1978. The game had changed and so had I.

I still collect cards now, mostly cards of retired guys and autographs. Through the enthusiasm of those in the TTM message board, I have gotten back into collecting autos of Angels from all years and as many signed 1978 Topps cards as I can (only sending duplicate cards). Maybe I will send to Buck...

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Wow. Great read, Andrew. You neatly summed up many of my feelings about what was also my first childhood set. We are of the same age and have the same nostalgia about this wonderful set. I loved the scripted font of the team names, the patriotic all-star shields, the game on the back. Back then I despised the Reds (mostly because my friend Eric worshipped Pete Rose and would. not. shut. up. about him) but there were a few cards on that team that I love, particularly the George Foster - he looks like such a badass! I wouldn't have messed with him had he been tied up and I was heavily armed!

To this day I can still mostly bring to mind what a player's '78 card looks like just based on someone mentioning his name. I can't do that with a single other set, excepting the Dodgers of course. The '78 was my first cardboard mistress - I will always look on "her"with great fondness.

Oh, and mine was Davey Johnson. I couldn't find that card anywhere, despite my repeated trips to J J Newberry's in Astoria OR. Perhaps all the Pacific Northwest was in the same boat?

Last edited:

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California

Wow. Great read, Andrew. You neatly summed up many of my feelings about what was also my first childhood set. We are of the same age and have the same nostalgia about this wonderful set. I loved the scripted font of the team names, the patriotic all-star shields, the game on the back. Back then I despised the Reds (mostly because my friend Eric worshipped Pete Rose and would. not. shut. up. about him) but there were a few cards on that team that I love, particularly the Geoege Foster - he looks like such a badass! I would have messed with him had he been tied up and I was heavily armed!

To this day I can still mostly bring to mind what a player's '78 card looks like just based on someone mentioning his name. I can't do that with a single other set, excepting the Dodgers of course. The '78 was my first cardboard mistress - I will always look on "her"with great fondness.

Oh, and mine was Davey Johnson. I couldn't find that card anywhere, despite my repeated trips to J J Newberry's in Astoria OR.

Amazing! George Foster was one of my favorites. And I forgot about the game on the back of the cards!

Probably the thing that stands out most in your post is when you said that you can instantly picture what the 1978 card looks like of a particular player. That is one of my less-impressive superpowers.By the way, if it makes you feel any better, I only have ONE Davey Johnson card. Maybe he was tough for everyone. I would occasionally buy cards at the Newberry's in Garden Grove, California as a kid, too.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Another great thing about the 1978 set... the manager cards were actually interesting! I hated pulling manager cards as a kid, but in '78 I actually got to see what they looked like back in their prime.

$T2eC16dHJGIFFooP-WwMBRl(H77Rt!~~60_35.JPG

And completely random, but the other day I saw a '78 Ralph Garr card, and hadn't heard that name in years - what a forgotten player who was very good (except fielding) and fast! You'll win a lot of bar bets asking who the 1974 NL Batting Average Leader was.

$T2eC16VHJIQFHIHcZ7(rBR80N82U2w~~60_35.JPG

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California

Another great thing about the 1978 set... the manager cards were actually interesting! I hated pulling manager cards as a kid, but in '78 I actually got to see what they looked like back in their prime.

$T2eC16dHJGIFFooP-WwMBRl(H77Rt!~~60_35.JPG

And completely random, but the other day I saw a '78 Ralph Garr card, and hadn't heard that name in years - what a forgotten player who was very good (except fielding) and fast! You'll win a lot of bar bets asking who the 1974 NL Batting Average Leader was.

$T2eC16VHJIQFHIHcZ7(rBR80N82U2w~~60_35.JPG

I agree with how cool the manager cards were. Blew my mind as a kid to find out that guys like Tom Lasorda used to play.

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
This was, by far, my favorite thread this year. Your recap of the set created the year I graduated high school was extraordinary. I have similar feelings about the '69 Topps set. I vividly remember running down to Jerry's Candy Store on Shaler Blvd any time I got enough money together to buy packs of cards. My friends and I would spend countless hours performing the "need it, need it, got it, got it" ritual, me choosing to get rid of the Mantle's in favor for the Tommie Agee's. Thank you for bringing me back to my youth, if only for a few minutes.

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California

This was, by far, my favorite thread this year. Your recap of the set created the year I graduated high school was extraordinary. I have similar feelings about the '69 Topps set. I vividly remember running down to Jerry's Candy Store on Shaler Blvd any time I got enough money together to buy packs of cards. My friends and I would spend countless hours performing the "need it, need it, got it, got it" ritual, me choosing to get rid of the Mantle's in favor for the Tommie Agee's. Thank you for bringing me back to my youth, if only for a few minutes.

Figured you would get a kick out of the post, Dave. I spent every penny of birthday/chore money on cards. One time I even blew the princely sum of $5.00 completely on 1978 packs. I think they were 15 cents at that time and I had a paper bag stuffed full of packs to open in secret so my mom wouldn't kill me. And even with all those packs, I still didn't get the Buck Martinez! (Guess he was my "Joe Shlabotnick" for those who get the Peanuts/Charlie Brown reference).

I also used to make lopsided trades for Angels, Dodgers, and dupes of Rod Carew, giving up extra Reggie's, Yaz's, and Brett's.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Agreed. re: Lyman Bostock
I meant to add this to my initial post. As a Dodger fan in Oregon, I didn't have a connection to Bostock. However, I sure knew who Thurman Munson was. Andrew mentioned that he felt his childhood come to an end when Bostock was shot - I think my moment was a season later when Munson died. I already had an intense dislike for the Yankees, but for some reason Munson's death really hit me.

Latest posts