Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Metallicalex777's very first National Experience...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen!

I thought I would take a little time to recap my National Card Convention recap. Before showing scans of the cards I picked up, I would like to write up a slight blurb on how I thought the show went. If you don't like reading that kind of stuff, feel free to skip past but I hope you enjoy the scans even though it isn't "big" stuff you would expect from a show of this nature :)

This was the VERY first time I have ever attended the National and I had been looking forward to it over the last few years. Many of the FCBers that attended this year who have attended in the past confirm this show was a bit smaller all around and loaded with the most vintage versus modern cards compared to prior shows. I must admit with that being true, I was completely overwhelmed the first couple of days.

I arrived on Wednesday morning and left on Saturday afternoon. After arriving to the hotel I met a few other collectors from out of town, none of them were members here on FCB but I certainly passed on the word to join many times ;) I got all settled in, ate some lunch as it was a 5 hour flight, then took the shuttle from the hotel to the convention center around 2pm. I waited in line to grab my VIP and package and as I was waiting, I thought the guy standing in front of me looked familiar. It was none other than Ken AKA Moxcaine :) We formally introduced ourselves even though we have been friends on FCB and the Morning Thread since the existence of the board. He was AWESOME and grabbed a dealer pass from the FCB booth which got me in early before they opened the doors for VIPs.

Walking in for the first time was quite the experience. I had no clue where to start, let alone how to ensure I would hit every single table available. The first spot I went to was with Ken to the FCB booth where I met the famous Chris Gilmore and Tim AKA Phillyfan. During that time I also met Wes and another famous FCBer/Morning Threader Eric AKA Those Back Pages :) After the meet and greets I started walking around for the first time.

The only structure I was able to remember and follow (I am HORRIBLE at directions by nature) was the fact that all the manufacturers/sponsor booths and tables were in the center of the building on blue carpet. That was a slight help as well as the large banners that were placed above each area. Other than that, it was tough to remember where each dealer was after looking at tables for the first time. Towards Friday I had a much better grasp on what cards/dealer tables I liked and where they were located. I saw a Warren Spahn/Stan Musial dual wool patch /15 card on Friday night and could not find it for the life of me when I returned on Saturday morning. That is probably the biggest bummer for myself as I wanted the card, but debated too much the night before telling myself I would think about it and pick it up the next day.

Richard AKA Pinetar and I hung out for a bit one of the nights. We both got a box of 2012 Bowman Draft. My box yielded squat, but his had a couple of pretty great hits including a Mike Zunino red refractor! He gave me a bunch of Taiwan Walker base and insert cards which was great as I have been picking a few of his cards up lately. Thanks again for the beers and dinner Richard!

Away from the show I had a ton of fun going out for lunch/dinner and drinks with quite a few members here. BIG shout out to Ken, Tim, Wes, Richard, Eric, Brad, Josh, Lisa, Pete, Ralph, and Chris for the time spent!!! I know I have forgot a couple others as I am bad with names so I apologize if I have unintentionally skipped you. Pleas post so I can remember who you were and give proper thanks as well :)

Here are a few pictures of some cool cards and such. My favorite case was all of the Ruth/Gehrig/old timer cuts:
7A4C0F20-0BE1-4764-BB06-13F30A1AF4E6-1701-00000296021FA6A7.jpg
C74A48C8-5CD7-4E62-B56B-57501B0CCDAC-1701-0000029607EB2C55.jpg

F9ACAA13-2A09-4C41-B858-2894D7B6B3F6-1701-0000029619C57090.jpg
B1798D11-C289-487A-A862-FDE8E11A6F47-1701-0000029622BD75B0.jpg

EFF00A3D-8132-4AAD-9E07-D17A88E37E94-1701-0000029632754B80.jpg
45F6C20D-70FA-4B46-B419-E973F2B63432-1701-0000029694FDCD3C.jpg

D5A577FC-D3AF-4E56-97B2-C02FA4F78598-1701-000002965548EA1E.jpg
2B12F705-EAAF-4129-A10F-77EC907B0B12-1701-0000029668617838.jpg

79A58A34-BB00-4D37-86CD-A8AEA3416DCC-1701-0000029676C76AD1.jpg
40411FC7-6754-4071-9904-225316A41316-1701-000002967F6273A5.jpg

ADD447ED-3F78-4184-9BCE-EC51EEE36DB1-1701-000002968558365C.jpg
3EA01207-FDDE-4CE7-80F1-F6C28539CDA5-1701-000002968F42A1C9.jpg

6D04FD3B-82E4-45B0-B9B4-32D3CAFFDDF5-1701-000002969B7372CD.jpg

ONTO THE CARDS/SCANS!!!

The very first card I got was actually an autograph on a card I already had. I was lucky enough to get Dwight Gooden's auto during his signing time at the FCB booth. The line moved quick and there were no inscriptions nor poses which helped keep the pace up. I was able to thank Dwight for his performance and career and he took the time to shake my hand which is now unforgettable! I had a patch card numbered 18/25 that I got signed by him:

show10.jpg

After meeting Eric (Those Back Pages) I showed him a 1961 Topps Mickey Mantle MVP card that I had acquired from my LCS earlier this year for a pretty cheap price. He took the time to put a grading eye on it which I thought went well. He then offered to let me piggy back on his PSA submissions which I took his offer in a heartbeat! Thanks again so much Eric @Those Back Pages for your time and generosity with the grading! My expectations were having this grade as a 5 or a 6 (I really have no clue on what to look for)...this was the outcome:

show16.jpg

The next few days wer spent going through tons of tables. I was able to find some good cards and the dealers for the most part were okay at cutting deals that were either at or below Ebay value which was shocking! I was able to pick these cards up...

My BIGGEST steal which happens to fit both my Felix Hernandez and HOF collections nicely:

2012 Triple Threads Felix Hernandez/Bob Gibson/Josh Johnson triple patch autograph 3/3 :)
show18.jpg

I also got some other cards as well for both the PC and for trade:

2003 Fleer Lou Brock/Bob Gibson dual patch 47/50:
show11.jpg

1994 Upper Deck Willie Mays certified autograph:
show12.jpg
show13.jpg

show14.jpg
show15.jpg

2009 Ultimate Zach Greinke dual patch autograph 24/26:
show9.jpg

Panini had the redemption replacement program that I took part in as well. I had a 2012 National Treasures Trevor Rosenthal Rated Rookie jersey autograph /99 that I had redeemed. They stated it was a $70 value card and upped it to $100 value which was nice. They had all sports to choose from so I chose baseball. They had a sheet with 51 or so items and said to pick a number. I always have to go with #34 for King Felix...I was pretty happy with my replacement :)

2012 National Treasures Luis Aparicio jumbo jersey cut autograph 5/5:
show17.jpg

Chris Gilmore hosted an after the show meet and greet which was fun! He handed out prize packs which I got a Logan Forsythe Bowman autograph graded 9.5/10 (which I gave away to Richard for the hospitality) and a 2013 Museum Collection Jason Heyward jumbo jersey /10. I also won a raffle for a box of 2013 Goodwin which was a BLAST to open. I got three hits as well as an Animal Kingdom common card which I gave to a dealer that had most of the set on display and he did not have that one yet.

show2.jpg
show4.jpg

I also got a box of 2013 Platinum that I was hoping to be able to get the Topps 25 card set /125 but the dealers were all lined up every single morning. I tried for 3 days in a row and the last day I was close but was about 5 people to deep in line. That was by far the largest waste of time for me but an experience to be had (I guess ;) ). Nothing much out of the Platinum besides these:

show3.jpg

Overall I had a phenomenal time at the show! I really want to go again but I will most likely wait a few more years just to ensure it stays fun. Thanks so very much for looking and reading everyone. Comments are always greatly appreciated!

Alex

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Sounds like an awesome time and those pictures are incredible!! Never seen so many Ruth or Gehrig auto's in one place (or picture). Thanks for taking the time to share.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
I would like to add that Alex is a nicer guy in person. It was a pleasure getting to meet him and hope to see him in Cleveland next year.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Great read, Alex ! Can't wait to meet you !!!

Oh, and outstanding acquisitions ;)

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Great grade on the Mantle Alex! Great pickups too. I'm particularly impressed you gave a "dealer" (gasp!) a card for his set. Way to represent the FCB name tag!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Wow, great story, very cool! Thanks for sharing Alex. I hope to go next year and see a bunch of members there.

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
By the way, awesome pictures of some epic cards at the show too! I mean wow. Do all epic cards fall into the hands of big time dealers or what?!

---

That Suzy Hotrod auto is awesome! I'm into the derby scene, my wife is a member of the Charm City Roller Girls (Baltimore). Suzy Hotrod is generally considered one of the best (if not the best) derby-ers around, she was in the ESPN body issue a couple of years ago. I know the guy that took the photo on that card, UD did get his permission to use it, but they worked things out in the end.

Great recap, enjoyed reading it and seeing the scans.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Okay, I meant to give thanks via posts but didn't have any computer time yesterday and wanted to do it the right way so here it goes :oops:

Sounds like an awesome time and those pictures are incredible!! Never seen so many Ruth or Gehrig auto's in one place (or picture). Thanks for taking the time to share.

Thanks Jeff! Too many cool things to continue to post about. I didn't get nearly as many pictures as I wanted too, and I was slightly bummed there wasn't much Felix Hernandez stuff either.

Fantastic write up, Alex!
I had no idea there were that many Ruth auto's out there.:eek:

Thanks Dave! Yeah, seeing that many Babe Ruth autographs all together was certainly a sight to see!

It was good to meet you too Alex - glad that you had a blast and glad that you found some King Felix cards!

Thanks Lisa! I'm glad you did okay with your Panini redemption upgrades. The Felix was in the booth right behind you. As a matter of fact, after I was asking you if you had seen any I found it right then :)

I would like to add that Alex is a nicer guy in person. It was a pleasure getting to meet him and hope to see him in Cleveland next year.

You are an exceptional guy yourself Ken! I can't wait to meet up again sometime :)

Alex, sorry I could not make it up but knew you would have a blast.

Btw that '33 Goudey is boom!

No worries George, but you were truly missed! Thanks for the chat during the time there with some of the questions I had. It would have been great to go after a couple of those cards, but I think not breaking the bank just to get them was a much better thing to do :) I think the Goudey Ruth autograph is one that I would really want to invest in someday. Such an iconic looking card with a sharp autograph on it.

Awesome recap Alex! Glad you had such a great time.

Thanks Dan! I wish you were able to make it but it was great chatting to you throughout the week :)

Glad your first National was such a success. Your cards looked even better in person. Thanks for the beer, it was great getting to meet you.

Thanks Brad! I'm glad you showed up and it was a pleasure sharing the pitcher of beer with you. You had some cool cards/items you picked up so I'm glad you were able to find something.

Wow. Sounds like you had some fun. I'll have to put this show on my bucketlist.
Some really nice cards you picked up too

It was a blast Al! I highly recommend anyone to go just for the sake of going. A ton of historic stuff and some cards that you don't see online as well.

Great read, Alex ! Can't wait to meet you !!!

Oh, and outstanding acquisitions ;)

You too Dave and thanks! I'm glad we have 2 out of the 3 triple patches between the two of us :)

Excellent recap Alex!!

Thanks Alex! Sorry I missed your text about the bat barrel. Honestly the guy didn't budge at all...he was a bit of a D-bag as well.

Nice write up. Thanks for sharing it.

No problem and thanks for taking the time to read it!

Great grade on the Mantle Alex! Great pickups too. I'm particularly impressed you gave a "dealer" (gasp!) a card for his set. Way to represent the FCB name tag!

Thanks Andy! I was really stoked about the PSA 7 return. The Animal Kingdom card was a pretty common one so it didn't have much value. Just as long as it wasn't an extremely rare one I am sure I would have gave it to him regardless :)

Wow, great story, very cool! Thanks for sharing Alex. I hope to go next year and see a bunch of members there.

---

Thanks Mac! It was great meeting a lot of the MTers and other fellow FCBers. Chris was a great guy and it was nice to see away from a keyboard for a change :)

nice seein the modern vintage, especially the ruth jumbo. thx for sharing

No problem Bear and thanks for taking the time to read it. I'm not a collector of vintage, so I am sure I saw some rediculously rare things without even knowing it.

By the way, awesome pictures of some epic cards at the show too! I mean wow. Do all epic cards fall into the hands of big time dealers or what?!

---

Mac, there were so many other beautiful cards. I had to take the one of all the cuts though as they were just jaw dropping. The Mantle and Jordan PSA 10's were amazing as well.

That Suzy Hotrod auto is awesome! I'm into the derby scene, my wife is a member of the Charm City Roller Girls (Baltimore). Suzy Hotrod is generally considered one of the best (if not the best) derby-ers around, she was in the ESPN body issue a couple of years ago. I know the guy that took the photo on that card, UD did get his permission to use it, but they worked things out in the end.

Thanks Benson! That is pretty awesome about Suzy Hotrod! PM me your address and I will send it to you to enjoy :)

Great recap, Glad you had a good time. I've never been to the National. I really hope I can go next year.

Thanks Dave! It was certainly a blast and I hope you can make it there yourself sometime. Thanks for the PM too man ;)

Didn't catch it the first time, but my original post should say UD did NOT get permission to use the photo. She posted a photo on Facebook a few months ago when she got them to sign and it only took a couple of hours until it got back to him and he recognized his photo. Derby is a very tight knit community.

Members online