Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ok Topps, time to take the die cuts to a new level

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
For the past few years, Topps has made some really nice looking die cut cards in several products.

But while they are nice, they have all blended into to each other value wise.

Since they are obviously a nod to 90s insert cards, it's time to step them up.

How about making some die cuts super hard to find, like the hottest inserts going?

I'm talking every 288 packs, 720 packs, etc. That will completely separate them from common to rare and the values will be much greater.

They also seem to be in every (non retro: product at easy rates.

Because while they were "new" a few years ago, they have kind of grown stale imho.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Are you including Bowman when you say "Topps"?

These don't look "stale" do they?

buxton.ref.diecut.13b.lrg.osc.jpg FERNANDEZ.REF.DIECUT.13B.LRG.OS.jpg marisnick.ref.diecut.13b.lrg.os.jpg dahl.ref.diecut.13b.lrg.os.jpg sanchez.ref.diecut.13b.lrg.os.jpg

or how about these?

CANO.DIECUT.REF.99.12B.NS.jpg WONG.REF.DIECUT.99.12BDP.NS.jpg

I think the 2011 BC microfractors and fusion fractors are also cool:

RANAUDO.MICROFRACTOR.DIECUT.11BC.NS.jpg DOMINGUEZ.REF.99.NS.jpg

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I think this has a lot to so with your second point which is making regular inserts extremely tough pulls again... Like in the '90s.

And not just autos and memos but actual insets. Just make the SP and not even serial numbered to add to the idea.

Man I miss the '90s

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Pacific in the '90s had the best die cut cards.
Some of those were unbelievably super wicked cool.
But judging by sales, collectors preferred boring regular shaped cards.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I think this was the last die-cut card that got anyone excited:
mHMOtnOFxtWxlBoZ4F1E-mw.jpg

Topps Laser had some of the most intricate die-cutting you can think of, and it crashed like a dark matter balloon. I mean, sure, some nice designs can be made (I really like the Bowman Top 100 this year), but it takes more than that to make a set hot.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
With the huge amount of wax busted now, 1:720 isn't rare.

1:7200 would be rare, but still not like 1:720 was back in late 90s.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
With the huge amount of wax busted now, 1:720 isn't rare.

1:7200 would be rare, but still not like 1:720 was back in late 90s.

Sure, good point. Everyone sells everything they pull now, not like in the '90s when people were more likely to hold on to stuff. Part of the reason is because not everyone was on the 'bay, part of the reason is because people actually liked cards and were more collecting-oriented. Also partly because people were better off financially then.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Sure, good point. Everyone sells everything they pull now, not like in the '90s when people were more likely to hold on to stuff. Part of the reason is because not everyone was on the 'bay, part of the reason is because people actually liked cards and were more collecting-oriented. Also partly because people were better off financially then.

I agree about eBay for sure. I believe the ease people can now collect a certain player, team, or sell anything they want for fair or close to fair market value has really changed the hobby. Now you can afford to be pickier and it's certainly easier. Used to be you were stuck with whatever you could get ahold of.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I agree about eBay for sure. I believe the ease people can now collect a certain player, team, or sell anything they want for fair or close to fair market value has really changed the hobby. Now you can afford to be pickier and it's certainly easier. Used to be you were stuck with whatever you could get ahold of.

Collectors also tended to hang on to rare (or what we perceived to be rare then) stuff back then more because the hobby wasn't flooded with similarly 'extremely rare' cards... and almost none expected the soon-to-come deluge. Rarity (we're talking print runs of 100 here) was a huge selling point that made cards seem like a good collectible and investment to those who thought they could see the future.

"Buy now because only a minuscule 100 were made" was the seller's mantra at shows and brick and mortar stores then LOL.

Latest posts