Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Which best describes you in the baseball card world....

Which best describes you in the baseball card world?

• I'm a set builder

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I'm a team collector

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • I'm a player collector

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • I just flip to make money if possible

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • I'm a wax addict

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know what the *$%# I'm doing

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I collect only high end

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I am a hoarder

Votes: 4 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
No specific listing for "Prospector"?

On FCB? Eh?

(And no, that's not the same as flipping to make more money, although they share elements)

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
No specific listing for "Prospector"?

On FCB? Eh?

(And no, that's not the same as flipping to make more money, although they share elements)

LOL, the fluid nature of the definition of the term 'prospector' lends the activity itself to being on the selling side of the hobby.

But I don't see an entry for 'Type Collector' here!

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Back before the 1990's, there used to be a lot of "Type collectors." A type collector was someone who tried to get 1 card from each set issued. It was common to hear that for vintage guys. Type Collectors have kinda fallen by the wayside. Your poll should have "Vintage Collector" and "Prospector" categories though.

I player collect players of different eras (Cap Anson 1876-1898, Rabbit Maranville 1912-1935, Hack Wilson 1923-1934, Don Zimmer 1954-1963, Mark Grace 1988-2002) so that I can type collect and see and have cards from the whole history of collecting.

Last edited:

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I enjoy type collecting myself, I do it with 1/1s. With all the sets out there one might think it would come back into popularity one day.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm a set collector first. Mainly '50s through early '90s.
But I'm also a player collector and autograph collector.
The poll should allow us to choose more than one category since many of us have varied interests.

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013

Classic.

I agree with the various posts, multiple choice and those vintage and prospecting options!

I am a Player collector, but I also dabble in Prospecting which is way more intricate than just "flipping to get $"

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
I don't know what I'm doing and a hoarder - since I can't compete with the advanced baseball card collectors who have their own special interests.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I'm a picker
I'm a grinner
I'm a lover
And I'm a sinner
I play my music in the sun

I'm a joker
I'm a smoker
I'm a midnight toker

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
LOL, the fluid nature of the definition of the term 'prospector' lends the activity itself to being on the selling side of the hobby.

But I don't see an entry for 'Type Collector' here!

But not completely. You CAN be a prospector and hold the cards. Wossa holds his high-end prospects from what I remember.

(And you HAD to be inebriated when you wrote this sentence) :)

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
But not completely. You CAN be a prospector and hold the cards. Wossa holds his high-end prospects from what I remember.

(And you HAD to be inebriated when you wrote this sentence) :)

I really wish, but I wasn't the one trying to coin a new definition. Buying with general intent to hold cards = collector, buying with general intent to sell cards = investor, prospector is a subset of investor dealing with unproven players.

Otherwise, what's the definition of someone who collects vets? A veteranetor LOL? A person who collects Mariners... a Marinetor? Of course not, a person who collects prospect players without the general intent to sell is just a collector like anyone else.

Wossa is generally a collector and not a prospector simply because he doesn't need to sell anything.

Members online

Latest posts