Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

To Grade or not to Grade......Griffey Jr.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Hello All,

I own 1 graded card as Im not a big grading guy. But, as I see so many scammers & forgeries in the hobby, thought I might have these two Griffey Jr items graded for autograph authenticity. Ken Jr was at a show at his home high school (Moeller in Cincinnati,Oh) in November 1989 signing with his dad for $15 or $25 with an autograph of his dad as well.

First is a 1989 Fleer:

kgjr-auto.jpg

I pulled the card from a pack in 1989 and at the time, every card dealer/collector told me not to have it signed because it takes away from the value of the card.

kenjrball.jpg

And also had an American League ball signed as well.

I have read the process several times on JSA and PSA/DNA's websites and they're very confusing as to what you have to do. I spoke with both of them at the National and they basically said read the instructions on the website (dog chasing tail time).

So, To grade or Not to grade?

Fordman

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Definitely grade/authenticate if you plan to sell.

For PC items I think it's nice to have it authenticated for displaying, but not as necessary as if you're selling.

Sent using the Freedom Card Board mobile app.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Man, Griffey's old sig brings back memories. As a kid I used to sign this auto using white out on my black whiffle ball bat to make it look like his Louisville Slugger.

I wouldn't grade the card unless you wanted the protection or like the look of the PSA case. Also, if you were there to see him sign that's as authentic as it needs to be. Great PC stuff!

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Grade even if your not going to sell. It will keep it in the condition it is when it is slabbed and that way it can't get any worst over the years

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
Yah might as well grade. If you got it personally signed you know its not a waste of money cuz they'll pass. It also protects it like others have said- one drop or spill and there goes a lot of the value. Also- you might get a new PSA slab!!!!!

Members online