Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New Collector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JSmithHtx

Mar 6, 2009
Recently I have decided to start collecting minor league baseball cards and picked up a couple different brands of cards and they all seem to be unique in their own way. There were several that stuck out to me. I want to collect the ones that look best (to me) but I also want to collect cards that have the most value. I looked on places like EBay to find out which ones had greater value and there was a huge range in which the cards could be fall. Also, this is only the second message board that I have been on and the card set I have particularly like has not been talked about on either board. Many of the cards have stats and information about prior baseball experiences for the players but the one I like has information about why the player is going to be successful in the minor and make it to the pros one day.

A few questions:

When I was looking at the value of the cards, what makes one card worth more than another (besides the player that is on the card)?

Which cards seem to draw the most attention?

Is there information to help this new collector?

Thanks for the help!!!

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
welcome aboard.

"value" is driven by supply and demand.

as far as the top minor league cards, i'd say that Razor and Donruss stuff are the most popular

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
Prospects draw alot of attention!!! the main brands collected are Bowman Chrome, Donruss Elite, and more recently the Razor product (To me reminds me to much of Just Minors, etc haha.)

But yeah keep up to date with the big names! Baseball America's Top 100 Prospects is a very helpful resource.... the new list was released about a week ago.

Shep :ugeek:

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Welcome to the boards! :)

You deffinitaley came to the right place, there is a lot of people here that can help you out. I would help you out but I am a vintage collector and don't know too much about minor league cards. :oops:

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I have no help to offer other than what has previously been posted.

I just wanted to say welcome to the boards and good luck with your collection.

Joe

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
One key point to recognize is that while prices are driven by supply and demand, there are two distinct camps that affect the supply. The more obvious one is the collector, who you've probably seen when looking in the mirror. The other group are investors who are looking to profit off of cardboard (like many on this site, myself included.) The ramifications that stem from this are huge and should be recognized. Take your time to learn a bit about the hobby. Analyze the information you receive and determine if it makes sense (even if it comes from a so-called "expert" on a message boards, myself included) and then make your own decisions.

Warren of Oz

Aug 23, 2008
I suggest you collect major league baseball licensed rookie cards of your favorite prospects, historically the Minor League issues are not long-term investments. Find an issue that is coveted in the hobby, like the Bowman line, and offers short-printed, numbered & autographed rookies in the base-set. Nothing numbered over 500 in this market. These cards have unlimited potential to rise in value if you pick the "right" guy.

HAVE FUN!

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
Cards are a sick addiction. You still haven't gotten into it too deeply. I'd say turn away now and save the money.

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
thefasterblade said:
Cards are a sick addiction. You still haven't gotten into it too deeply. I'd say turn away now and save the money.

His sig tells the whole story! Listen to him!!! LOL :D.

That is a sweet Parker sig dude.

Shep :ugeek:

JSmithHtx

Mar 6, 2009
G $MONEY$ said:
welcome to the boards! Can i ask how you heard about us here?

The first message board that I went to I had asked about if anyone knew of any good forums to ask about minor league cards. Somebody sent me a message and one of the links was this website.

JSmithHtx

Mar 6, 2009
I went to a hobby shop this weekend to talk a little bit to the guy to see what is coming out, whats hot, etc. He sold me on a pack of Bowman, but one really stood out because they are officially licensed with minor league baseball. Not to mention, it is how I like my cards to look - clean, not all the flashy crap in the background, and a great list of names. He just had a sheet to show me, but I looked up the rest on their website. I can't seem to find to much information on the set in any forums. It comes out on Friday, so before I go down there to pick up a box, I want to make sure it is worth it. It is called tristar projections. Anyone know about this? The guy said they only produce 75 cases (which it does state on their site), and it should have more value. Is this correct? I took an image from their website so you guys could see how clean and sweet the card looks. They have a small image of the auto Wieters card, and I think it looks sweet too. I am interested to see the game used/auto cards. I look forward to any advice.
10-Wieters.jpg

Members online

Latest posts