Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

interpreting "most valuable player"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010
I was just reading an article poking fun at Keith Law for picking Trout as the mvp so far, and most of the comments go something like this, "the tigers are winning their division and the angels are in 4th place, how could trout be more valuable?"

So after resisting the urge to bang my head against my desk, I just want to try and understand how people are incapable of seeing that there are 25 players on a baseball team. If you could replace Trout with Babe Ruth right now, the angels would still be a mediocre team. The angels have the 3rd worst ERA in baseball, so what control does Trout have over that? After Trout, Howie Kendrick is the only other above average hitter on that lineup.

I understand if you straight up think that cabrera is better, but please use an argument that makes sense like pointing to his huge lead in slugging percentage.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I look at mvp as the "go to" guy in clutch situations. Who has helped the team the most when it counts? 2 on, 2 down, hits the tying or game winning rbi single to right center type of player. You can have a great slugging percentage and hit the ball a ton, but do they do it when its needed?

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
For me the MVP is the player with the best overall important stats. Cabrera leads in OBP, SLG, OPS, and OPS+. He has improved, notably, in OBP and SLG from his MVP season last year. Cabrera could also win a batting title and lead the league in hits! He's the winner thus far.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts