Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps Appreciation Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I love collecting and building Topps sets.
I'm almost finished with the '58 set, am about 2/3rds done with the '71 set and built every Topps set from 1980 to 2008 through packs and trading.
They're all in binders and I love looking at them.

My Dad started buying Topps packs back in 1958 and continued through 1962.
He's the one who got me started collecting in the '80s.

A great book for Topps fans is this, which shows every Topps card ever made in full color:

Toppsbook.jpg

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Over/under one page? ;)

I'm a huge critic but they do their flagship AMAZING!

No company should ever attempt to go head to head with basic Topps.

By far the most fun product to open between the nice looking base to flashy inserts to die cuts to code cards.

It can't be beat.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I love collecting and building Topps sets.
I'm almost finished with the '58 set, am about 2/3rds done with the '71 set and built every Topps set from 1980 to 2008 through packs and trading.
They're all in binders and I love looking at them.

My Dad started buying Topps packs back in 1958 and continued through 1962.
He's the one who got me started collecting in the '80s.

A great book for Topps fans is this, which shows every Topps card ever made in full color:

Toppsbook.jpg

I had the 1951-1985 version of that book, my father got it for me as a remainder when the 1951-1990 version came out (for $5!). Great book. My friends and I used to play a stupid little where we'd randomly guess a set and number, and if it was a star player, you won. I knew all the sets and stars numbers, so I typically won :D

TwinsWin

Mar 14, 2011
For a person who only collects base sets I simply can't wait each year to open packs to build my sets. I'm in the early stages of working on a Twins topps set.

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board mobile app

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
I love the Topps basic set. The newer ones are frustrating to build from packs with all the doubles you get. I haven't worked to hard on this years set. I have 76, 77, 79, 81, 83, 84, and a few others so far. I pieced together all of these sets some of which I busted boxes of packs for in the past year or so. I think I may buy factory sets for some of the ones I need. I was born in 76 so I don't plan on going past then at the moment.

I also have my Topps Cubs team sets from 71- 2012. I am missing just a few commons in the 2000's I am seeming to have trouble finding. I do plan to build my team sets all the way back to 1952 eventually.

I really like topps. Sure they have faults but all companies do.

I have been building a few sets here and there since 04. Now that I have the boys we do a football set for each of us.

My favorite set was the 2005 topps 05 heritage, and 2005 bowman chrome. Part of it is due to the rookie class, the last year before the mlbpa rc logo, and their design.

05 base topps the golds seem shinier and the blacks seem darker!

05 bowman chrome is the most difficult set I've put together through wax and trades (no ebay) Out of a case I only got 2 manny Ramirez cards. It took me just im under a year to track down one!

05 heritage real ones were addictive and the cards were absolutely flawless!

I enjoy many other topps products including archives from last year but the 05 stuff is by far my favorite!

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
It's kinda sad though how the bat "knob" is more of a bat "end sliver"

Still, those are nice cards, I really like the Yaz one.1

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
When they put focus on them, Topps can do patches really well (minus the wording on the back):
felixtrio.jpg
november1.jpg

Even for their infamous foil stickers, they can do well on some of the sets to make them look decent:
Untitled3.jpg

They also have some GREAT new sets that came out. The Museum Collection metal cards and the Clear Cut RC signatures are good examples:
10235.png
felixgold1.jpg
felixblack.jpg

january3.jpg
january4.jpg

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
Post a pic of the back of that griffey or on black paper, it doesnt do it justice with just the front!!

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
With all the complaints lately, i was expecting to see this

tumblr_mgs1m4Qavk1ro7uigo1_400.gif

No, I guarantee you there are more people who enjoy Topps and their products, than those who don't.

And the ones who don't are the ones who continue to buy and/or redeem redemptions, hoping for positive results....the very definition of insanity.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
Well I have a few pics on hand that I can work with.

They do a nice job with jumbo patches...
VhXIRtv.jpg

A4zKgek.jpg

And Triple Threads...
iOv6A24.jpg

And some older on-card auto sets...
AzS3D8Y.jpg

a5QuQgA.jpg

Qo0gyNz.jpg

fZbL0I1.jpg

And even some newer auto sets...
lXHaTKB.jpg

UTzF8uu.jpg

And not to mention the most iconic modern rookie brand...
bNFWyZt.jpg

EDIT: And sorry, I can not tell if the scans are as huge as they appear on my iPad.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I appreciate that Topps is still in business despite their unethical practice about checklisting/redemption of autos and relics. ;)

Seriously, props on the ATFF autos and Archives autos - nice to have some certified auto availability of strong TEAM favorites that aren't the overall hobby S.O.S. superstars and prospects autos.

won't give props/appreciation for the flagship base product or pack configuration of their base product as they don't execute those good and this is a pos thread, not a neg thread.

Members online

Latest posts