Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Adam Dunn considers retirement at age 33

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
ESPN -- Adam Dunn told Fox Sports that he will consider retiring this offseason despite the fact that the Chicago White Sox slugger is under contract for $15 million in 2014.

Dunn, 33, has 30 home runs and a .228 batting average this season. He has hit 436 homers over his 13-year career.

But the two-time All-Star acknowledged Tuesday that he is not concerned about reaching the 500-homer mark or collecting his guaranteed salary for next year.

"I'm not coming back just to come back for money or because I have one year left [on my contract]," Dunn told Fox Sports. "I'm not coming back to chase home run numbers or whatever. If I end up with 499 and I'm not having fun, see ya -- 499 it is."

Although he has been a consistent power hitter since the beginning of last season, Dunn has struggled to a .199 batting average over 403 games since signing a four-year, $56 million deal with the White Sox prior to the 2011 season.

Dunn told Fox Sports that he considers this season "a great letdown" by the White Sox, who entered play Wednesday with a 56-81 record -- the third-worst in the majors.

"Winning is everything, especially now," he said. "That's why it's so tough. The expectations that not only I had, but we had as a team, were really high. For this to happen, I don't like the word 'devastating,' but it's probably tougher to handle than most."

Dunn also said that one of his deciding factors would be Chicago's chances of success in 2014 after the White Sox traded ace right-hander Jake Peavy and two-time All-Star outfielder Alex Rios this season.

"If it's looking like it's going to be one of those 'Oh boy' kind of years, that's going to determine a lot," Dunn said.

"If I'm not having fun, I can't do it. I won't do it," he told Fox Sports. "I can't. I'll be a miserable person. I don't want to be like that. I want to be like I am a lot -- happy. It should be fun. This is a fun game."

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Must feel nice being able to turn down 15m because you're not having fun!

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
you know, Dunn, if you could hit a lick (say .275), your team might be doing more winning!

you know, Dunn, if you could hit a lick (say .275), your team might be doing more winning!

It takes more than one person...That's why they have 24 other players on the team/

Just look at the Brewers...Gomez is an All-Star...Segura is an All-Star...Lucroy is a hell of a player...Aoki is a nice player...However...THEY SUCK! It takes more than one or a couple players to win...You win as a team..You lose as a team

Bogeysave82

Jan 16, 2013
Sounds like he wants to be traded to me. Dunn is a straight shooter but can be selfish. Yes I could see him retiring gives him more time to do what he loves hunt an fish.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
You've never ever endured what a hard life it is being a baseball player.

A whole six months of hard labor where everything is paid for, followed by five excruciating months of vacation only to be interrupted by spending an entire month in Florida!

None of you know the pain of not being able to actually cash a month's check because your pockets are too small to hold that much money!

Makes you wonder why anyone would want to be a baseball player.

DAMN THIS ONCE IN A LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY!

onehrk22

Apr 26, 2012
Perhaps as individuals who do not earn $15 million, you are all placing too much emphasis on what role that amount of money plays in happiness. The pursuit of happiness is a human pursuit, one most of us live our lives pursuing. When Dunn passes away, does the extra $15 million increase his happiness as much as the ability to "do what he wants" at this time in his life? I'm all for him retiring if that's what he wants to do. Money causes more problems than it creates. We thirst for what we cannot have...

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010
You've never ever endured what a hard life it is being a baseball player.

A whole six months of hard labor where everything is paid for, followed by five excruciating months of vacation only to be interrupted by spending an entire month in Florida!

None of you know the pain of not being able to actually cash a month's check because your pockets are too small to hold that much money!

Makes you wonder why anyone would want to be a baseball player.

DAMN THIS ONCE IN A LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY!

Nobody is happy with what they have. There's no need to be jealous of someone else's life, because they are just as miserable as the rest of us. No matter the situation, we will all find a way to be unhappy. His money and extended vacation won't help.

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
I dunno if it really feels that different to have $115M than $100M in the bank.

Of course he could feed a million starving children for a month with his 2014 paycheck, but that's just not the world we live in.

Members online