Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1991 Topps Variation Grey/White

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
For those who werent aware of their existence, here are my scans of the different colored backs to my 91 Topps. Not sure why, but there are also different "*" counts on them. Even the fronts look different. The white backed is brighter on the front. If anyone has more info, please share.

1991%20Topps%20Traded%204T%20Variation.jpg

1991%20Topps%20Traded%204T%20Grey%20Back.jpg

1991%20Topps%20Traded%204T%20White%20Back.jpg

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Dark stock came from packs, the light stock came from the factory sets. 1990 Traded has the same variation.

Yup. It's ONLY the traded sets, though - this variation does not occur in normal base Topps. In 1990 and 1991, Topps Traded was issued in wax pack form. Those are the normal darker "old school" cardboard cards, and the 132 boxed Traded set was on the brighter, more vibrant "white" stock.

toadfan106

May 2, 2009
I believe that both version also exist with a * or ** on the back in the copyright line. I know the grey backs do, but I can't remember if the white backs do also.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
The main set also had the light logo/bold logo variations. I always assumed it had to do with when they reloaded the ink in the machine, but the 40th anniversary logo in the background of the back was a lot bolder on some cards than others. Back before people had 70 blazillion cards to choose from every year, people cared about that, and I remember seeing people flip through monster boxes looking for bold logo cards.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Yeah, definitely not the Tiffany. I have that too, it has a glossy finish to the front.

i shall now pursue the other astrisked grey back...

Members online