Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MLB Young Stars Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
I thought it might be a good idea to start a daily thread tracking rookies and young stars during this final stretch of the season and into the playoffs. Jayper’s milb thread is a great resource to track notable prospects. Let’s try and do the same with young stars, as they are still a big part of the hobby. Big showings in September and notable performances in the playoffs could push players like Machado, Myers, and Billy Hamilton through the roof in the hobby. There are also notable players getting a cup of coffee this September that should be followed. If there’s interest, I’ll try to do this daily although it may be a little tough in the begging as I’m getting married in two weeks, but I’ll do my best.

Notable young pitchers tomorrow include:

Gerrit Cole
Taijuan Walker
Randall Delgado?

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
I am already looking forward to Tuesday Liriano vs. Martin Perez match up. Lets see if Perez can win his 7th straight start.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Good premise. I'd suggest, however, you add the date to this thread's name if you plan to create a new one every day.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I am not a card prospector but I do participate in a fantasy league that includes minor leaguers. Looking forward to reading this information on a continuing basis to get a leg up on my league competetion.

I agree with Jaypers.....I would date the title.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
I'm not sure how to edit the title but I'll add the date starting tomorrow.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I love watching Jose Fernandez of the Marlins pitch.
He's a 21-year-old rookie who's 11-6 with a 2.23 era, is 5th in Ks and has a chance to take the ERA title from Kershaw and the ROY from Puig.
His pitches have incredible movement and he's always laughing and smiling.
He's so much fun to watch. I wish I had some cards of him.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I love watching Jose Fernandez of the Marlins pitch.
He's a 21-year-old rookie who's 11-6 with a 2.23 era, is 5th in Ks and has a chance to take the ERA title from Kershaw and the ROY from Puig.
His pitches have incredible movement and he's always laughing and smiling.
He's so much fun to watch. I wish I had some cards of him.

I follow the Marlins a bit and he's always fun to watch. I think he deserves the ROY over Puig, although Puig made much more of a splash and had a lot more press, so it may be tough for Fernandez to win it away from him, even though he has had the better season in my opinion.

I like the idea of this thread as well and look forward to daily discussion.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
For a while it seemed like the perfect storm was brewing around Clayton Kershaw (he's still just 25, so still young in my book). He was the clear-cut Cy Young Award winner (for the second time in three seasons) and his team was smoking hot. Then his cards jumped like crazy with the preliminary MVP discussions. Coupled with a couple of lackluster starts (albeit only one where he gave up more than 2 ER) and prices (and eBay being flooded with his cards) and prices have slipped back. If they fall low enough I may get back into buying as they are still heading for the playoffs, his ERA is still under 2, and if he ends strong he could still make an MVP push.

I do think there may be a couple bigger names who could see a ton of attention during the stretch run/playoffs...

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
For a while it seemed like the perfect storm was brewing around Clayton Kershaw (he's still just 25, so still young in my book). He was the clear-cut Cy Young Award winner (for the second time in three seasons) and his team was smoking hot. Then his cards jumped like crazy with the preliminary MVP discussions. Coupled with a couple of lackluster starts (albeit only one where he gave up more than 2 ER) and prices (and eBay being flooded with his cards) and prices have slipped back. If they fall low enough I may get back into buying as they are still heading for the playoffs, his ERA is still under 2, and if he ends strong he could still make an MVP push.

I do think there may be a couple bigger names who could see a ton of attention during the stretch run/playoffs...

I agree on Kershaw. Not sure what chromes are going for now but I was considering picking one up earlier in the $100 range. At the end of the day he's a dodger though, couldn't do it. If the Dodgers can make it to the WS behind Kershaw his stuff could explode, $200+ for a chrome?

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I agree on Kershaw. Not sure what chromes are going for now but I was considering picking one up earlier in the $100 range. At the end of the day he's a dodger though, couldn't do it. If the Dodgers can make it to the WS behind Kershaw his stuff could explode, $200+ for a chrome?

Base Chrome's jumped to $150+, but it was the higher-end stuff that really exploded. Refractors went from under $150 to over $300. Blue refractors which were under $300 jumped to over $500 and there was a ton of high-end graded sales. It took just a few weeks for things to settle and it will be interesting to see where things go. If he locks up the Cy Young and has a nice run in the Playoffs he's going to get a ton of attention (the media is already comparing him to Koufax at any chance they can) and with 2 Cy Young's in 3 years (sandwiching a second place finish in between which IMO should have been another CY, but Dickey had a better story) he's certainly performed well enough to warrant the attention.

edit: They have dropped since with the last base auto getting $130ish, although that's still a jump of roughly 30% from what it was a month ago.

Last edited:

cstmleather

Jan 14, 2009
Surprised Chris Owings started the last 3 games at SS. Slow start but had 2 hits in each of the last two games.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
Machado 0-2, k
Yelich 0-1, bb, k
Rizzo 0-2
Trout 1-2, , bb, k
Cowgill 1-3, 2b
Rendon 0-2
Cole 2ip 2h 0r 0b 2k

Members online

No members online now.