Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Official Pirates Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Seems like there's one for every other team, so I figured the few Pirate fans we have on here could use one as well :lol:

It's almost inevitably going to be another losing season, so I'm just hoping some of the prospects continue to develop and Cutch has a strong ML debut.

Any thoughts regarding Steve Pearce? It seems like management has all but buried him. Looks like he might be the next Brad Eldred, unless he has another huge year in the minors.

jjj7880

Aug 7, 2008
Re: Official Pirates Thread - The Countdown to 83

Zach Duke looked very strong today; only bad one was the triple he gave up then a sac fly for the run. 3.00 ERA this spring so far.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh

Duke did look very good yesterday as have all the starters so far.

as for Steven Pearce I agree he will become the next Eldred. I don't know why they don't give him a chance to prove himself. I am not excited about Nyjer Morgan being the left fielder and hope McCutchen makes the team out of Spring Training and Nate moves to left. he is fast but not a great fielder and he has no pop in his bat like a left fielder should.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA

I'm a bit concerned that they've been putting Cutch in left with McLouth in center this spring. Yes, he won a gold glove and has expressed a desire to stay in center, but McCutchen has far superior range, a better arm, and neither are great in the routes they take to balls at this point.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA

Some news that may be of interest to some folks...

Jose Tabata, Brad Lincoln, and Daniel Moskos are both slated to start the year at AA Altoona. They want Tabata to get time in center, which means McCutchen is almost certainly going to start the year at AAA. Not a huge surprise, but I still find it a bit interesting, since Cutch is having yet another strong spring, and the alternatives in left/center aren't exactly stellar.

I'm a bit surprised they're bumping Moskos up. He was getting absolutely shelled last year. I'm curious to see whether he'll be used as a starter or reliever.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc

i 'll rock the boat , i like nyjer better than cutch . i've been up close and talked to both . pearce give a chance .bixler better get batting avg up. i do agree another losing season. i'll pull for duke even if someone else collects his cards [jjj] ! hoping capps has a good year .lots of good players i know coming up just hope some become great .

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA

A lot of people seem to be very down on Walker. Amongst the Pirates online community, Walker seems to be completely an afterthought. However, I'm not at all ready to write him off. I see Alvarez moving to first sooner than later, so it really comes down to Andy LaRoche or Walker at third. If LaRoche can regain his form, I think Walker gets slotted into a supersub type role, splitting time between third, the corner outfield positions, and there has even been talk of giving him work at second. His glove work has looked very solid at third. It just becomes a matter of whether his bat will develop as anticipated.

I love the energy and personality Nyjer brings to games and the clubhouse, and he seems like a genuinely fun and nice person to be around. However, I just can't see him as any type of long term solution. He makes far too many minor mistakes (taking poor routes to balls, oversliding bases, etc), and is already 27. I think he makes a great backup outfielder, who could play either center or the oversized left at PNC, but anything beyond that seems like a large weakness in the lineup.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh

just wanted to share my 2009 Pirate postcards I received in my fan pack. I am going to send these TTM and I will post as I get them back.

capps2009.jpgdoumit2009.jpg
grabow2009.jpglaroche2009.jpg
maholm2009.jpgmclouth2009.jpg
sanchez2009.jpgwilson2009.jpg

jjj7880

Aug 7, 2008

How about Maholm today?? 6IP 3H 0BB 4SO 0R 0ER 0.46 ERA for the Spring!

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA

Maholm has looked dominant this spring. Obviously it doesn't mean a ton, but I think the Buccos can have a strong 1-2 punch with Maholm and Snell. Beyond that...ugh. Unless Gorzo can turn it around, the 4-5 slots might end up being automatic L's this year.

Good luck with the TTM's Dave. Capps, Laroche, and Grabow should be easy returns, and you have a good shot at Maholm and Nate.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008

Moskos had a great run around May or June. he even made the Hot list. That day and the rest of the season he got shelled.

subject to change said:
Some news that may be of interest to some folks...

Jose Tabata, Brad Lincoln, and Daniel Moskos are both slated to start the year at AA Altoona. They want Tabata to get time in center, which means McCutchen is almost certainly going to start the year at AAA. Not a huge surprise, but I still find it a bit interesting, since Cutch is having yet another strong spring, and the alternatives in left/center aren't exactly stellar.

I'm a bit surprised they're bumping Moskos up. He was getting absolutely shelled last year. I'm curious to see whether he'll be used as a starter or reliever.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh

Maholm looked great again today. I think he is going to have another solid season and I think Duke will as well. as for the rest of the staff who knows.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA

I get the impression Snell has pitched very well this spring. It's kind of hard to gauge that due to the WBC, but everything I've read implies he's regained his form of 07. I think Duke will have an improved season, but I think he's a 4 starter at best in my mind.

While we're on the topic of the rotation...

I'm interested to see how the 4/5 slots shape up over the next couple of months. Ohlendorf has not impressed me, and Karstens strikes me as a right handed, more hittable version of Duke. I was expecting Daniel McCutchen to last a little longer in the big league camp. He got hit hard, but I would have liked to have a little longer look at him.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc

keep the post going please .
$#$#%^ i'm going to miss pirates this year going to be hard having rangers for replacement.
one player i liked last year now out of baseball - tom hagan but will still collect his cards.
i do agree nyjer not the best player but will be cheaper than most a great backup?
doumit always like that ,plays hard.
laroche was good impression on players last year when he rehabbed here.
hope coaches are easy on lincoln let him be steady on return after surgery.

pujolsmvp2005

Nov 12, 2008

for the past 2 years, Andrew McCutchen has been the top Pirates prospect. He held his own in AAA all of last year and after a slow start has come around hitting .260. So why is everyone saying that Morgan will stay up with the team and McCutchen will be sent down to spend another year in AAA? Very disappointing to me.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh

I don't think Cutch will stay in Indy long. I would expect him to be in Pittsburgh by June.

Members online

Latest posts