Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

help with these 2002 diamond kings sample

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Hard to tell on my PC if it is silver or gold but I would guess gold because the silver ones are just listed as samples.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
No!!!!! These are listed 100% wrong, but COMC doesn't seem interested in fixing them. I bought a ton of these when the seller listed them at 25¢ as Golds. They are, in fact, Silvers; the Sample stamp on back is in silver foil. COMC seems to think that the DK Samples with a yellow DK logo on front are the gold samples, and the ones with the grey or silver are the Silvers. This is not correct; I recall seeing very recently another thread explaining the difference. These do exist with the gold Sample, I have seen a few correctly listed on COMC.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Foil of the "SAMPLE" stamp itself should be gold correct? That doesn't often show up well in scans. Sorry, I was looking more at placement and font lol

Good info Jeremy

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
They are not gold

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Looks like Silver Samples to me as well. I am always very careful when buying off of COMC when it comes to the Beckett samples. There are a bunch listed as samples, when they are just the regular base cards. Always flip the card over and see the scan and make sure it is at least a sample. Distinguishing between gold and silver on the font can be really difficult, even with a fairly good scan.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Here's a thread I started back in Sept 2011 about these:

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/baseball/92668-2002-diamond-kings-gold-samples.html

I can't recall which thread recently discussed these; someone may have said these were inserted in different magazines, or something like that. I think there's a possibility of four versions of each 2002 DK Sample: silver front Silver Sample, silver front Gold Sample, gold front Silver Sample, and gold front Gold Sample.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
No!!!!! These are listed 100% wrong, but COMC doesn't seem interested in fixing them.

makes sense. AFAIK, COMC just takes their listing payment and scans and posts the cards without regard to their condition or how it's listed (i assume that means it's the sellers responsibility for that and COMC doesn't make those judgements based on cards I've seen listed or have purchased before).

as for the 2002 DK sample, is the executive summary that the foil stamping on the back is a 100% determinant of gold or silver? I"m getting ready to list one and it's silver-foil stamped so I can take it that it won't be a gold one regardless of what color the DK logo is on the front?

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
makes sense. AFAIK, COMC just takes their listing payment and scans and posts the cards without regard to their condition or how it's listed (i assume that means it's the sellers responsibility for that and COMC doesn't make those judgements based on cards I've seen listed or have purchased before).

as for the 2002 DK sample, is the executive summary that the foil stamping on the back is a 100% determinant of gold or silver? I"m getting ready to list one and it's silver-foil stamped so I can take it that it won't be a gold one regardless of what color the DK logo is on the front?

COMC is usually pretty good about getting things right, although when they do it wrong, they do it big. It took them years to fix the 1997 Score base/Reserve Collection/Premium Stock/Hobby Reserve errors, and these DK Sample errors have been consistantly listed wrong for at least two years. I have noticed that if a card is listed incorrectly, and someone submits the same card soon after, their card will be listed as the same wrong item as well; could be some sort of image recognition software they use and occasionally it's just plain wrong.

As far as the DK Samples, as far as I know the color of the stamp on back is 100% the difference between Gold and Silver.

weegee

Aug 30, 2008
Maine
I bought a copy from COMC once. It was listed as the gold sample, and was not. I just wanted to make sure before I bought another silver.

trauty

Oct 8, 2010
Yeah, the ones without the silver foil were inserted into Beckett magazines first. The very next month, apparently because they wanted to correct their mistake, ones with silver foil on the front were inserted into magazines. Both versions are equally common (although not that easy to find). And there is a silver and gold sample version seemingly available for each one (I'll have to dig through my stuff, I know I have a set of 4 of somebody).

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Impressive. They are not easy. I have never seen a gold Sample of the 1 Garvey in the set. Can't even be sure one exists if I have not seen it. Be nice to have an idea on quantity, if those are not in fact 1/1s.

weegee

Aug 30, 2008
Maine
Impressive. They are not easy. I have never seen a gold Sample of the 1 Garvey in the set. Can't even be sure one exists if I have not seen it. Be nice to have an idea on quantity, if those are not in fact 1/1s.
I have been collecting Trot since 2005. This is the first one I have ever seen . Only bought the 3 in comc just in case because one of them looked a little darker and I got lucky.

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
I’ll share pictures of the three I own of Puckett later tonight. I have two silver samples, one stamped where they normally are and another that’s stamped offset to one side more than the normal, enough to notice, especially when looking at them side by side…. I was also able to find a gold stamp as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

weegee

Aug 30, 2008
Maine
I have these as well the silver stamp goes with silver frame and gold with gold. Also the word sample on both seems larger

Attachments

• 20220216_174954.jpg
    20220216_174954.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220216_174939.jpg
    20220216_174939.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 11

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
I have these as well the silver stamp goes with silver frame and gold with gold. Also the word sample on both seems larger

Oh those are great! I don’t have any samples like that from the ‘02 DK set in my Puckett collection, but I have similar from other years/release. I love those cards, just haven’t seen a ton of Puckett’s like it surface.

Here’s the three stamped sample Puckett’s I have from the set.

The top two are silver samples, with the silver stamp in the middle offset to the right by an entire letter or so. I thought it was a cool variation. The bottom is the gold stamped sample…

Image1645072584.356961.jpg

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
May 2002 Beckett Baseball monthly had them. See below pic of the magazine they came from.
Gold samples- foiling stamp color is the only difference. Don't confuse the Promo versions with the Sample versions.
A lot of people confuse the two.

Golds are VERY difficult sometimes to determine
Quite a few online sellers confuse them- I've picked up Golds that were mis-listed that only experiences with tons of online purchases, and spending time viewing enhanced scans that were poor, were able to show.
full.jpg

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
Oh those are great! I don’t have any samples like that from the ‘02 DK set in my Puckett collection, but I have similar from other years/release. I love those cards, just haven’t seen a ton of Puckett’s like it surface.

Here’s the three stamped sample Puckett’s I have from the set.

The top two are silver samples, with the silver stamp in the middle offset to the right by an entire letter or so. I thought it was a cool variation. The bottom is the gold stamped sample…

View attachment 330456

Hey Jeremy,

What other gold samples do you have? I have the diamond kings one like you have pictured and also a Leaf Certified from 2002. I have a team heroes card on my list but I have never seen one.

Members online

Latest posts