Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Derek Jeter's season is over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Oh oh, I bet that $10k card is gonna drop in value ;)

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
What do you guys think he will do going forward?

buy a walker, retire from baseball, marry A-ROD now that it's legal in some places in the U.S., use his biological material to get a surrogate pregnant for their child, and be elected to the hall on the 2nd ballot.

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010
buy a walker, retire from baseball, marry A-ROD now that it's legal in some places in the U.S., use his biological material to get a surrogate pregnant for their child, and be elected to the hall on the 2nd ballot.

The most absurd thing in that post is that he'd be elected on the 2ND ballot and not the first.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
The most absurd thing in that post is that he'd be elected on the 2ND ballot and not the first.

he wasn't the best SS of his "generation" - AROD was. I wouldn't put AROD in the HOF and Jeter would be 2nd ballot because he's not the best SS of his generation let alone in all of MLB history to deserve my 1st ballot vote. All Jeter was best at in the SS position was being lucky to be on WS winning teams and that doesn't qualify for my HOF 1st ballot vote.

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010
he wasn't the best SS of his "generation" - AROD was. I wouldn't put AROD in the HOF and Jeter would be 2nd ballot because he's not the best SS of his generation let alone in all of MLB history to deserve my 1st ballot vote. All Jeter was best at in the SS position was being lucky to be on WS winning teams and that doesn't qualify for my HOF 1st ballot vote.

I completely disagree with the whole 1st ballot or 2nd ballot worthiness with the hall of fame. You're either a HOFer or not in my book. But regardless, there is no way he isn't a 1st ballot hall of famer. Not necessarily because of what he's done, but because of how obsessed people are with him and the whole 3000 hits bs. I definitely think he's deserving though.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I completely disagree with the whole 1st ballot or 2nd ballot worthiness with the hall of fame. You're either a HOFer or not in my book. But regardless, there is no way he isn't a 1st ballot hall of famer. Not necessarily because of what he's done, but because of how obsessed people are with him and the whole 3000 hits bs. I definitely think he's deserving though.

I'm not quite sure how being #9 in history in hits is "bs".

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
You guys know the Yankees are not my team.

That being said I really do think he was good for baseball and has a tremendous legacy (yes, I know about the morning after gift baskets, SS range, etc. etc.). But come on, the guy is a champion and classy on the field.

I hope he announces next year is his victory lap year and goes out before we only remember the broken player he is now, not the player he was.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Whats he done to earn the hate @dbacksfan4life?

I'm not a yankees fan but I can't see any reason to hate the guy.

My explanation for why some people dislike Jeter.

Guys like Barry Larkin who have just as many +5.0WAR seasons as Ripken (8) live in obscurity most of their career because they didn't play in 2,000 straight games or wear pinstripes. Jeter who has been put on a pedestal forever has rarely had All-Star numbers when you look at WAR. He has compiled only 5 seasons of +5.0WAR, the standard measurement of an All-Star season.

Jeter is a great player, but I just think he has lived off Yankee mystique.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Granted, the pinstripes have helped buy it's not like he has been a bench guy along for the ride.

Being the only yank ever to get 3k hits is "pretty" impressive.

Being a true clutch player during the season and especially post season has added to his greatness. In other words, opposite of Alex.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008

Guys like Barry Larkin who have just as many +5.0WAR seasons as Ripken (8) live in obscurity most of their career because they didn't play in 2,000 straight games or wear pinstripes. Jeter who has been put on a pedestal forever has rarely had All-Star numbers when you look at WAR. He has compiled only 5 seasons of +5.0WAR, the standard measurement of an All-Star season.

Oh man, it's been a while since we had a good ol' "Jeter is overrated" thread. Great fun those.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010

Barry Larkin was a superstar when he was playing. He was in 12 all star games, won an MVP and was voted into the Hall of Fame. Not sure how he was an obscure player.
And Jeter was not living off of Yankee mystique for a majority of those all star games. How many ss have a career 312 ave and 380 obp? Along with averaging over 200 hits, 100 runs, 30 doubles, 15 hr and 80 RBI a year?

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Barry Larkin was a superstar when he was playing. He was in 12 all star games, won an MVP and was voted into the Hall of Fame. Not sure how he was an obscure player.
And Jeter was not living off of Yankee mystique for a majority of those all star games. How many ss have a career 312 ave and 380 obp? Along with averaging over 200 hits, 100 runs, 30 doubles, 15 hr and 80 RBI a year?

Barry played in the NL shadow of the Wizard. Jeter played on center stage for great Yankee teams. One could argue he was never the best shortstop in the AL during his career, yet will go down as an all-time great.

Barry was not a first ballot HOFer. Jeter will most definately and likely have a 95% or higher vote. I'm simply saying if the roles were reversed Jeter would not be what he is today. I really don't see how that's even a question.

Members online

Latest posts