Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why are you the fan you are?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
One more before i fall asleep. Whew! 2 in the morning!

Why are you a Yankee, Twins, Pirates, etc. fan? Maybe its because they're the closest to where you live, your favorite player is on that team, your whole family are fans or maybe you're simply a bandwagon. I'm not judging but I know that some people have some pretty cool stories as to why they bleed their colors. Share!

Also, why do you hate/dislike another team?

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
Pirate fan from when I was five while most were Yankee fans. Now I also pull for players that played for local minor league team

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
Growing up in southern Indiana nearly everyone was a Cincinnati Red fan. Being the contrarian I am, I wanted my own team. So, in 1969, when Montreal and San Diego came into the league I flipped a coin and it came up Padres.

I don't "hate" any teams, but some Yankee and Red Sox fans can be overly annoying.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Lifelong Cincinnati Reds fan here. I live east of Cincy (35 miles or so) so I root for the home team. Followed the team since I was 4 with my Grandpa. He loved watching games on TV (when they were on in the 70's plus Monday Night Baseball)and at the stadium. Mostly listened on the ole AM radio. I follow because I enjoy and can follow the sport easier than football. I understand the game more because of my Grandpa, he explained every detail to me when we watched/listened to the games. More games to watch in a season than football and cheaper to watch at the baseball ballpark vs football.

I collect Reds players cards but more so, Jay Bruce.

Fordman

dbacksfan4life

Aug 21, 2013
Arizona
I'm a Dbacks fan because theyare one of the youngest teams in the league, and l live in AZ so it's easier to be a fan of the Dbacks since we can go to the ballpark.

Every month l find myself taking the 2001 World Series tape. The 7th game is absolutely amazing, especially since it was only their 3 or 4 year in the league!

As for teams l hate... I hate players not teams

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
When I was a yute in NW Oregon the Mariners weren't around yet and the Dodgers were often on the Game of the Week. So were the Reds. However, my friend Erik Viuhkola would. not. stop. talking. about Pete Rose and the Reds. Therefore I became a Dodgers fan. They were good, and they weren't the Reds.

I loathe the Giants. Why? 'Cause it's as natural as breathing.

DaBaddestHic

Aug 16, 2013
Won't lie, I'm pretty sure I started becoming a Braves fan by hopping on the bandwagon back in the mid 90s. I had at least one friend that was a Braves fan then as well, so that probably helped.

Stuck with them since then though :).

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Everyone in my family are Yankees fans. I was born in NYC but we moved to Philly when I was very young.

This was pre-cable so you watched what was on tv or the radio, and that was Mike Schmidt for me. Phills fan since I understood what the game was

I have no recollection of liking a particular team prior to 1982. I was 10 and we stopped in St. Louis on the way back from vacation to go to a Cardinals game. It was Sunday, August 22nd and the Cardinals were playing the Giants. Game went into extra innings and we still had a 4-1/2 hour drive to get home, Mom says at the end of the 11th, we can stay for one more inning. In the bottom of the 12th back-up catcher Glenn Brummer stole home and I was hooked on Cardinals Nation. Every summer after that we would go to St. Louis for a weekend of baseball. I have my ticket stubs from 83 on, but never could find my ticket from the Glenn Brummer game to prove I was there.

sabrgeek

Apr 10, 2010
I saw my first game in Houston at the age of 3 and became an Colts/Astros fan from that point. Grew up in NY area, since I had an NL team I needed an AL team and the Yankees were it. I did spend the summer of 67 in Maine and always loved the 67 Red Sox but eventually grew out of that love.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
As a kid living in Seattle, I was a Yankees fan because of Reggie...Then a Padres fan because of Gwynn obviously. 1995 made me a Mariners fan, to an extent, but I would technically say that I am a fan of no team since 2001... I follow the Mariners the most.

Birddog01

Sep 1, 2013
Cubs fan because everyone is my town where I grew up (outside of Chicago) were either a Cubs fan or Sox fan. My mother, who came from Japan, became a huge Cubs fan back when Jack Brickhouse (Hey! Hey!) was the announcer. We'd watch the afternoon games together after school. Mom wouldn't watch the news at night if the Cubs lost because she said she couldn't bear to see them lose twice in one day. :) I named my son Ryne after the infamous Sandberg. In our house, if you said the word "Cardinals" you would have to follow it with a disgusting throat clearing hacking sound. I hate the Cardinals.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
White Sox & Phillies.

Sox because Ron Karkovice, Joey Cora, Ivan Calderon (R.I.P.), Harold Baines, Robin Ventura and, when he debuted, Frank Thomas. My dad hopped the fence when the were tearing down Old Komisky. Still have that beam to this day.

Phillies were the second MLB game I attended in '91 vs. St. Louis. Loved Dutch, Nails, Von Hayes, Mitch & Mickey Morindini. Wept like a baby when Carter hit the HR in the '93 WS (the last one I watched with my dad). When they traded Stocker for Abreu during the Devil Rays / Diamondbacks Expansion Draft, that cemented my love for the Fightin's.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Perhaps not the answer this thread was looking for, but my answer none the less. The reason I am the type of fan I am is because I realized early on that I prefer to appreciate talent without blind bias to any given team or town. It always amused me to see friends and even family members take so much pride, pleasure, and even pain with regards to their chosen team, acting like they are on the pay roll or part owner. I get it, don't get me wrong, I understand the dynamics of being a biased fan of a specific team or town, I just never really fit that mold. I am a fan of hard work, a fan of talent, I support accomplishment and achievement. I am a fan of the sport without bias towards any given team or town.

On a side note, my entire family is die hard Mets & Jets fans.

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
Born and raised in NYC and my dad ad grandfather could not stand the METS. My grandfather took me to a lot of yankee games growing up so my liking of the team just grew from there. Now, I'm doing to my daughter what was done to me, and her favorite players are AROD and Ichiro, (she's Puerto Rican and Japanese) granted we all know AROD is Dominican.

Looking for Alex Rodriguez Cards, PM me.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I grew up in the Bay area, and as a kid rooted for the local Giants. Didnt follow much baseball in the early 90s, and in 94 made a trip to Baton Rouge to visit my aunt. During the visit we drove to Houston to see the Space Center and the Astrodome. After the tour of the Dome, we Watched the Astros lose to the Reds. Went home with a newfound love for baseball, and chose to go against the grain and root for the Astros instead of the Giants.

Because of them shutting the Astros down over many playoffs, i had developed a deep hatred of the Braves. Those seasons during the 90s were fun, until the Astros played the Braves. Then during the 00s, i developed a new hatred towards the Cardinals. These are also reasons why i hate the move to the American League. No history of hatred towards any team in the AL...

Jun 26, 2013
Chicago
I live in Chicago and always have my whole life. I am a huge St. Louis Cardinals fan only because as a kid my Dad loved the Cubs and me being a stubborn kid picked everything opposite of him. So the Cards have always been my team as long as I can remember. I still love the Chicago bears Hawks and Bulls. I sure do hate the cubs and not really a fan of the Sox either.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Sig40cal

Jul 23, 2012
Atlantic Highlands, NJ
I have been a Yankees fan for as long as I can remember. One of the earliest memories of life I have is watching some of the Guidry 18k game with my Dad at maybe 3 years old. A couple years later I got to meet "Sweet Lou" Pinella and Billy Martin in a parking Garage in NYC with my Dad again. It was kinda ingrained in me at a young and impressionable age. I dislike the Red Sox because of the rivalry. I dislike the Mets just because......

Members online

Latest posts