Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Picture of the day Thursday September 12, 2013.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I know I may be a bit late with this but I was reading last week that Legendary announcer Vin Scully is coming back for another year in 2014 and it got me to think about the few times I had the chance to meet him. While I grew up in the midwest I never got a chance to hear him unless it was on the Saturday game of the week. I had read many things about Vin and when I saw him at Wrigley Field 20+ years ago I couldnt wait to shake his hand. He was as classy in person as he is in the booth.

So in honor of Mr. Scully's return for another year in the Dodgers booth, I bring you a vintage photo of the man with another class act, Gil Hodges. Is it me or does Vin look like Jerry Lee Lewis in this photo.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
I think Vin Scully is the only guy left who can call a game by himself and not skip a beat. Says a lot for a guy who is 85.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I think Vin Scully is the only guy left who can call a game by himself and not skip a beat. Says a lot for a guy who is 85.

unfortunately he's headed to Harry Caray territory. Bugged me (despite I don't like the Mets much) that he kept saying the Mets had no no-hitters during a recent telecast at Dodger Stadium against the Mets when in fact Johan Santana had a no-hitter and it was fairly recent (2012 season?). Took him awhile to correct that on the air after I bet a producer had to tell him his fact was wrong.

Harry Caray was losing it as the end, I'm afraid of Vin doing so if he hangs around too much longer.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
unfortunately he's headed to Harry Caray territory. Bugged me (despite I don't like the Mets much) that he kept saying the Mets had no no-hitters during a recent telecast at Dodger Stadium against the Mets when in fact Johan Santana had a no-hitter and it was fairly recent (2012 season?). Took him awhile to correct that on the air after I bet a producer had to tell him his fact was wrong.

Harry Caray was losing it as the end, I'm afraid of Vin doing so if he hangs around too much longer.

Definitely think its time for the "victory lap" and last shot at glory for him....but you can't expect a guy working solo to be perfect night in and night out, especially at 85. Yeah, 20 years ago he'd have never made that mistake....but there's so much going on in baseball nowadays and so much information about it its way harder to keep track of what's up.

Yeah, i'm defending an 85 year old guy....but he's the best...and im not even a Dodgers fan in the least.

Members online

Latest posts