Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Am I the only one that gets ticked off over being overcharged for shipping?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
I was just curious about this. It just ticks me off to buy a card online pay $2-$3 for shipping and it arrives in a PWE. I have shipped tons of cards over the past year or so and I know that a card can be sent properly packaged for less than this.

For example I just sent another member here one card. I put it in a top loader, team bag and then put a piece of cardboard on each side. Shipping cost $1.69 through PayPal. It is being shipped across country BTW VA to OR. A padded envelope is less than 20 cents if bought in bulk. So we are at $1.89. So there is still a little left over.

I sent the seller this happened with a message about this today. I was charged $2.24 for shipping on one card. It arrived in a PWE with a piece of cardboard on one side. The envelope had one stamp on it and did not say Do Not Bend or anything on it. The card did arrive fine Luckily but I still hate the fact that most of what I paid for a shipping wasn't spent on shipping. The seller replied to me that he had to cover fees from EBay and PayPal. I did talk back and forth with the person but they don't seem to get it.

If I see free shipping on a lower price card I expect a PWE. I also don't mind it on a cheaper card. I mean if your gonna ship PWE and charge a dollar I am not going to gripe. I am not usually over picky but this just hit me the wrong way today and I needed to vent. Am I right or wrong here? What's so wrong with expecting what you pay for?

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
You're not wrong at all. I absolutely loathe paying $3.50 for shipping and getting a PWE.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
PWE = wait a week, and ask the seller when my card shipped out, as nothing has arrived.

I purchased a $5k+ card once that arrived loose in a bubble mailer, no backing or protection, stamps on the outside, no tracking, no insurance. I emailed the seller and told him he was lucky I was an honest guy; the wrong buyer would have taken him for a bunch of money and a card. Hopefully he corrected his ways.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Shipping in a pwe is one thing.

But I'm pretty tired reading about how people "assume" everyone prints out the shipping.

And buys envelopes in bulk.

And never goes to the po to ship.

Most sellers are super super small time guys and don't have the space for all the envelopes and isn't cost effective to print out a few shipping labels/postage.

It costs me just under $3 to ship with dc, yet I charge less because everyone on eBay XXXXXes.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
I purchased a $5k+ card once that arrived loose in a bubble mailer, no backing or protection, stamps on the outside, no tracking, no insurance. I emailed the seller and told him he was lucky I was an honest guy; the wrong buyer would have taken him for a bunch of money and a card. Hopefully he corrected his ways.

Its sad that it happens. When i rec'd my Ichiro Ultimate Rc auto the priority box that had the card in a bubble mailer was not even sealed. Pretty scary.

Op - That is BS. If you charge more than a dollar and DON'T say will be shipped in pwe i would give their shipping a 1.

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA

But I'm pretty tired reading about how people "assume" everyone prints out the shipping.

Most sellers are super super small time guys and don't have the space for all the envelopes and isn't cost effective to print out a few shipping labels/postage.

It costs me just under $3 to ship with dc, yet I charge less because everyone on eBay XXXXXes.

I am small time myself. I get my envelopes on ebay. I ordered 100 last time and the box isnt to bad. I appreciate your point but its just so easy to print shipping online. You just need a small postal scale and a printer. Well worth the expense IMO.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

cardguy

Aug 24, 2008
OHIO

I agree with this. You have envelope cost....40 to 50 cents at staples...top loader...ink to print shipping label....gas to PO. EBay shipping fees....plus my time...(my time not worth much), but....that's not added up to 3 bucks....come on....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Freedom Card Board mobile app

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
I agree with this. You have envelope cost....40 to 50 cents at staples...top loader...ink to print shipping label....gas to PO. EBay shipping fees....plus my time...(my time not worth much), but....that's not added up to 3 bucks....come on....

I have no issue with 3 bucks if shipped like you mentioned. I got my card in a plain white envelope.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

A_Pharis

Compare your list to eBay's TOS regarding items that are covered by S&G charges.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
You send in PWE and I pay $3 your getting neg'ed.

I charge $2.50 to ship and you get a card in a penny sleeve, top loader, either decoy cards or commons as protection, team bag and delivery confirmation.
Basically eBay charges me .25 cents not to mention PayPal fees on my total sales. And it cost $1.69 to ship using PayPal. So I'm not making much if anything on shipping.

Not using PayPal to ship and print your wasting time and money! Going to the post office waiting in line, paying for DC it cost almost $3 to ship that same package. Plus eBay/PayPal is going to charge you to. Plus when you use PayPal tracking is uploaded automatically and you can leave the cards in your mailbox for the carrier to pickup.

You don't need a scale. 3-4oz for a normal top load/one touch cards 4-5oz for slabs. Once you do it once or twice you know the weights.

I am just learning to ship comics and its basically the same. 7oz 1 book 11oz 2 books with cardboard protection.

I need to find a hookup on magazine size bubble mailers, I get card size from my LCS for .10 a piece. 100 for $10

Last edited:

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I actually was wrong, it costs me more than $3.

$2.97 with dc PLUS the envelope.

But I really don't care anymore because I'm basically done with eBay.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I actually was wrong, it costs me more than $3.

$2.97 with dc PLUS the envelope.

But I really don't care anymore because I'm basically done with eBay.

So, I guess I missed why you don't 1. buy envelopes in bulk? Pay $.08 per envelope. And #2 print your label from Paypal? Your new cost is $1.80-$1.85. Why in the world would anyone lose $1.20-$1.40 per package if it could easily be avoided?

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
This is your friend. You can buy the labels on eBay super cheap. And you never have to pay for ink.

$T2eC16h,!zQE9s3suFk3BR)KjtMKTg~~60_35.JPG

3 Rolls of 150 labels... $15.55 shipped. Just .04 per label.
$T2eC16J,!)QE9s3HEEncBRywpL1(wg~~60_57.JPG

I charge $2.25 Flat for shipping. I don't care how many auctions you win.. its still only $2.25. I recently increased my shipping by $0.25 because eBay charges the FVF on shipping. So after fees I basically break even.

Shipping - $1.69 with DC
Shipping FVF from eBay - $0.23
Bubble Mailer - $0.10
Top Loader, Penny Sleeve and Team bag - $0.16
Label - $0.04

Total $2.22

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I sell 1 or 2 cards a month and always have free shipping in my listings. Bubble, w/dc costs me about $2 to ship. I never think to add in the cost of the envelope to me which is about 70 cents but that doesn't matter to me.
The eBay fees then the Paypal fees are what get me.
Back to the op: I recently had a card I paid over $30 for shipped in pwe inside a thank you type card. Shipping was almost $3. I didn't say anything but should have

Sent from my iPhone

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
If you bother selling on ebay, you might as well bother buying everything you need to make it cheap. Otherwise, I'm going to have to assume you are selling an item that is high end enough to where you don't mind eating some of the shipping costs.