Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vladimir Guerrero officially announces retirement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Former American League MVP Vladimir Guerrero is giving up on a return to baseball.

Guerrero announced his retirement on Friday after failing to secure a contract this season.
He last played in 2011 for the Orioles.

The 38-year-old Guerrero tells a radio station in his native Dominican Republic that he made the decision in part because he's still feeling the effects of two operations on his right knee.
He also wants to spend more time with his family, including a 14-year-old baseball-playing son named Vladimir Jr.

The nine-time All Star said that his only real regret is not reaching the 500 home run mark.
Guerrero hit .318 with 449 homers and 1,496 RBIs over 16 seasons.
He won the 2004 MVP with the Angels.

Last edited:

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
No chance he's first ballot, but he should get in
I think he could get in first ballot.
There are no allegations of steroids, unlike what Bagwell and Piazza have faced. (Two players who should be HOFers already)

In fact, type into Google: Vladimir Guerrero Steroids, and the first two pages that come up are "Clean Hitters of the Steroid Era" and "The Best Players Who Are Believed Not to have Juiced."

So if the candidate class is relatively weak in five years when Guerrero is eligible, I think he has a real chance of getting elected first ballot.

Guerrero dominated for more than a decade, offensively and defensively, and put up great career numbers without compiling stats over 20 years like some Hall of Famers.
He had 115 rbi in his second-to-last season, and if not for the multiple knee operations, he'd still be playing.
I'd vote for him first ballot.

Last edited:

buck724

Jul 22, 2010
He definitely has the numbers to get in. Hard to say whether he'll be first ballot or not.

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
I hoped the Yankees would have signed him over Gary Sheffield after the 2003 season.

08_guerrero_46of50.png

10_arod_ortiz_vlad_13of25.png

08_guerrero_sketch.png

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
No chance of a first ballot guy. I always thought he was juicing. Possibly the best bad ball hitter ever. Saw him in the indy league looked really bad.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Ask Fred McGriff. Guerrero should not even get a sniff at the hall!
McGriff was so underrated during his career, and was totally ignored by most Hall of Fame voters.
He has better career numbers than a lot of Hall of Famers and probably deserves to be there.
His 493 homers and 1,550 rbi are more than HOFers like Billy Williams, Orlando Cepeda, Jim Rice, Willie Stargell, Duke Snider and on and on.

But McGriff was nowhere as dominant as Guerrero, who averaged about .325 with 35-40 homers, 200 hits and 125 rbi for much of his career.
Plus Vlad had two 30/30 homer/steals years (including a year when he was one homer away from 40/40).

McGriff was an excellent, consistent player and compiled great career numbers over 19 years, but he never just completely dominated the game like Guerrero, Griffey, Frank Thomas, etc.

Last edited:

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Who knows what he could have been using, considering the era he played in - to his credit, no steroid / PED taint whatsoever so good for him.

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
He should've used an old timer nickname like red. That would help his chances

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010
He's a hall of famer. He's also got 8 kids with 5 different women, so hopefully he takes advantage of this opportunity to help raise them.

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
One of my favorites players and played the game the right way. Too bad Expos Concrete Turf killed his knees. I say he is a FOR SURE HOFer.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Vlad was a solid player. Albert Belle would vote for him to be in the Hall ;)

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

Members online