Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Picture of the day Tuesday Spetember 17, 2013 Two for Tuesday!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Being Tuesday its time for a two-fer.

The first photo is a somewhat haunting photo of a dying Lou Gehrig who was visiting his teammates on April 24, 1940 at Yankee Stadium. Gehrig was well into his illness at this time and would pass away a little over a year after this picture was taken.

On a brighter note I saw this photo of spectators (early knot hole gang) trying to sit on the top of the fence at Ebbetts Field, home of the Brooklyn Dodgers. I thought it was interesting that youn and old alike, all dressed in suits, ties and boater hats were climbing up the poles to see the game.

And for those who cant see my photobucket link....

gehrig.jpg

ebbetts.jpg

Last edited:

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Could they get in trouble for that? I can only imagine the trouble that would occur if that were to happen today.

I guess technically they could have been in trouble for scaling the fence and watching the game from this perch but it was more or less a common practice back in the day. I have a photo from, I believe the old Boston baseball stadium in whcih the entire outfield fence has spectators sitting on top of the fence this way. I will have to try and find it and post it here.

Ebbetts Field, in the 40's and 50's developed the "Knot Hole Gang" in which many kids and adults would watch the game through knot holes in this very wall. They came to embrace this crowd and even had a Dodgers kids fan club with the same name in which they would choose one child to appear on the field in their televised pre game show.

buck724

Jul 22, 2010
That last picture of everyone scaling the fence to watch the game is really cool! Sad to see Gehrig like that in the first pic.

Members online

Latest posts