Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Picture of the day...Wednesday, September 18, 2013 Weeghman Park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Today's photo is a photo of Weeghman Park.....also known as Wrigley Field. This photo is dated 1927 and I can only assume it is opening day due to all the bunting that is dressing up the ball park in this photo.

A little history about this ball park....The park was originally built for the Chicago Federal League team called the Chicago Whales. The Federal League was a new league that was formed to compete with the already established National and American leagues. A good number of established players had "jumped" to the Federal league because they were promised more money to play and in better ball parks. The Federal League lasted all of two seasons before their teams folded. Wrigley Field is the only major relic left as a reminder the the Federal League ever existed

The thing that strikes me about this photo is that it seems to be taken from the vantage point of the elevated tracks running right near the ball park on Addison street. If you look at a photo taken today from the same vantage point, very little in terms of buildings and surroundings. While upgrades have been made to the park and the rest of the area, the "bones" are still the same as they were in 1927.

I forgot I had a photo from the same vantage point only from 11 years earlier in 1916. Notice the changes in the ball park as there was not an upper deck in 1916 but most everything else has stayed the same except for the cars, ladies dresses and of course the dirt streets, and of course a building is now on the corner lot that was empty in 1916..

wrigley1927_zpsbdd67d0b.jpg

[/B]

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts