Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bank of America taking on Paypal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
I just got this mail message in my Hotmail account from Bank of America. Here is what it says... "With Bank of America's Online or Mobile Banking, you can now pay almost anyone using their email address or mobile number,[SUP]1[/SUP] as long as their bank account is in the United States. It's easy and secure, and there's no need to share account information. Plus, there are no fees to send money with this service." I like the "no fees" part. The "1" disclaimer states that fund transfers may not be immediate in some cases. I think this is a good start and may put some pressure on Paypal some day? Hopefully.. fingers crossed...

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
Technically, there are no fees to send money using PayPal. The only fees are when you receive money. I'd be curious to know if both sides of the BoA transaction had no fess. And if so, how will BoA make money?

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
There are no fees to send money w / PayPal. It's the receiving fees that if someone want to get into the market would have to be better than PP at. Also since most buying/selling is done through eBay , and B of A can't get into that market , then it's not much of a push to PP. the bank services are for more payments like services not goods IMO

Ryan

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Technically, there are no fees to send money using PayPal. The only fees are when you receive money. I'd be curious to know if both sides of the BoA transaction had no fess. And if so, how will BoA make money?

You have to have BoA account and they are probably figuring they will collect fees or you will use some of their other services if you are a regular customer.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Chase has had free bill pay and whatnot for years, but it's not a feasible way to pay eBay sellers.
Yes, I use BofA bill pay all the time. As far as I know, the legacy bill pay functionality is to a mailing address only. I have never seen pay to e-mail or pay to mobile number functionality. I semi agree with the other comments in general. However, I can transfer funds between my banks online with no fees on either side of the transaction. It is possible that BofA will not charge either party for the transaction. Yes, on my experience, they are the fee masters and have a plan in place to make money on the service. It's all about the benjamins!

ronniedp23

Apr 13, 2011
The High Desert, California
Apple (purchased Square a while back to set up that move if I recall correctly) will be the ones to take on PayPal before the banks do.

The banks might take a small market share (which makes sense as it will allow their customers to centralize banking etc). But they won't go after Paypal in any major competitive way IMO.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Freedom Card Board mobile app

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
I think the receiver would have to have a BOA account as well. Chase has offered the same thing for a while now.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Sounds more like they're trying to head-off any potential adpotion of Dwolla more than challenging PayPal. As long as it is still dependent on the credit-card processing network, there will be lots of fees, whether visible or hidden.

Mainah

May 28, 2013
Maine
Apple (purchased Square a while back to set up that move if I recall correctly) will be the ones to take on PayPal before the banks do.

The banks might take a small market share (which makes sense as it will allow their customers to centralize banking etc). But they won't go after Paypal in any major competitive way IMO.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Not sure where you heard that, but Apple does not own Square.

Sent from my Nook HD+ using Tapatalk 4

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts