Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What cards give you that nostalgic feeling?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
What cards make you feel nostalgic about when you very first starting collecting? If they are cards of players/teams you don't collect, do you collect them any way?

This will be a bit of a long read, but please follow along and share your own.

My grandfather got me started collecting in 1982, so a lot of the cards that "take me back" are from the 80's. A couple of years back, I mentioned one of the cards on here and [MENTION=2394]tonsofcommons[/MENTION] hooked me up with it, a 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco. I didn't put much stock into it at the time, but it put the thought in my head of adding a lot of those cards to my collection.

I won't post the entire list of cards that I intend to add to my collection, but here are some of the ones I have picked up so far

1980 Topps Rickey Henderson RC (I wasn't collecting yet, but it falls in the category of reminding me of collecting as a kid)
1984 Topps Don Mattingly RC
1985 Topps Roger Clemens RC
1986 Donruss Jose Canseco Rated Rookie (thanks again, Eddie!)
1986 Topps Traded Jose Canseco
1986 Topps Traded Bo Jackson
1987 Donruss Bo Jackson Rated Rookie
1987 Fleer Bo Jackson
1987 Fleer Jose Canseco
1987 Topps Bo Jackson Future Stars
1989 Fleer Billy Ripken F*ck Face

Obviously, Ripken, Gwynn, Boggs, Strawberry, Gooden, Maddux, and many others are on the list of RCs and 80's cards that will always bring back fond memories of the beginning of my collecting addiction.

Off and on, I will try to get one of these when trading for a group of cards for my player collections or team collections.

Does anyone else do this? What cards take you back to that simpler time of collecting?

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
1987 topps.

While I had been collecting for years before that, 1987 was the year I completely, totally, fell in love with cards, especially topps.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
84-87 topps. I have no idea how I even acquired them but I carried a few packs worth around with a rubber band for years. Picked up rack packs of 88 at a local grocery store and those were tossed in a box as well but I'd dig them out and sort them in various ways. Then christmas of 90 my mom bought me a '89 UD griffey RC... My entire collecting world turned on its ear and I've never looked back

Sent from my iPhone

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
1965 Topps Roger Maris (first card Dad ever bought for me) and the TCMA and Baseball Immortals sets.

Last edited:

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
Back in the early 90s my Dad would buy me boxes of 88,90 Donruss, 88-90 Topps. Putting sets together with him I was hooked! My Mom blames my Dad for my collection, lol! I collect a lot of things, but cards will always be mg first passion, because I share it with my Dad!!

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
1989 Topps baseball, specifically card #662 Lou Brock Turn Back the Clock. I found one of these Brock TBTC cards, all creased and beat to hell, under a bush while I was waiting for a bus in kindergarten. It sparked my interest in the hobby and holds a special place in my PC as my very first card.

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
1968 & 69 Topps because this is when I started collecting. I remember buying packs at a local candy store named Jerry's. It was right across the street (Shaler Blvd) from our apartment complex and any time I had saved enough change, I would buy a pack of wax to open. I've bought and sold the '69 Topps Mets cards many times over the years and currently have my best collection ever.

DiebytheCubs

Dec 2, 2012
Chicago suburbs/Ohio
Wow, I feel like a baby. It's not a whole set for me, just a specific card. 1999 UD Choice StarQuest Sammy Sosa is the only card that really brings me back to my early days. Back then I wanted a Sammy Sosa card so bad, it didn't even matter what it was. That was the first one I ever pulled and I was over the moon. In the years since I've come to really dislike Sosa and now I'm trying to get rid of most of the cards from my early days. I'll still hold on to this one though because of the memories associated with the card.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
80 Topps , 86 Topps, 87 Topps, 87 Fleer

80 Topps were the first few hundred cards given to me by a family friend in 86/87

86 Topps were the first pack of cards my dad bought for me and a friend when we were at the grocery store

87 Topps was the first time when I bought multiple boxes, had the factory set as a birthday gift etc

87 Fleer Will Clark was my first "big" single card purchase at $30

Ryan

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
For me it's 1990 Donruss. Even though I did buy a lot of 1989 O-Pee-Chee and some 1989 Donruss, 1990 Donruss was the first product I bought a ton of trying to build the set. It was available everywhere so I could pick up packs here and there throughout the Spring and Summer.

I remember I ended up with a ton of dupes, so in the Fall I took a nearly full 800-count box of them to a card shop to sell. They gave me $8.50 to spend in the shop, and I got a 1987 Topps Bo Jackson "Future Stars" card!

I miss those days. :rolleyes:

- Rodrick

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
90&91 upper deck baseball and 91 score football

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
1990 Topps Kmart All Stars, 1989 Score & Topps were some of my first memories of card collecting. Also 1968 and 1971 Topps thanks to my Dad's collection I found in the attic when I was 10.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
The card that got me going was the 1987 Topps Andre Dawson. As a kid, before knowing the ends and outs of the hobby, I was so confused why Dawson was still in an Expos uniform instead of a Cubs uniform.

Last edited: