Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New Burbank Sportscards Cover Story Video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
I've always wondered what Steven looked like. He's always the guy on the phone when I've called.

That's an impressive setup they've got there, but I don't like the looks of that scanner they've got. Seems like it'd scratch up cards pretty easily.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Very cool. I agree about the scanner though. That thing could really screw up cards with any kind of chrome or glossy finish and it didn't look too easy on the top of the cards either when they fall down out of it against the little jogger at the bottom. Still cool though.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Wow. I thought their place would be bigger. But very cool video to watch.

I wonder if they offer a discount if you shop in the store versus ordering online.

Last edited:

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
We have those exact scanners here at my work. I will take a close up pic and show the path. I do't think scratching is an issue with these scanners.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
That's really cool. Any idea what those scanners cost?

nerdherd020

Feb 9, 2011
California
Wow. I thought their place would be bigger. But very cool video to watch.

I wonder if they offer a discount if you shop in the store versus ordering online.

If you pay with cash Stephen will usually knock off a few bucks. I've been shopping there since I was a kid (15 years) and he and Rob are really nice guys.

Last edited:

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
That scanner doesn't bother me. I am just glad that they now scan their cards at all!!
However, if I am going to spend $125 on a $30 Gwynn card, I better be able to USE YOUR BATHROOM!! :D

bath_zps84b7ba6f.jpg

Last edited:

nerdherd020

Feb 9, 2011
California
I stumbled across this cover story of Burbank Sportscards on youtube. It's less than a month old. I think most collectors are familiar with them via ebay and Beckett marketplace. I always wondered how they sorted/stored such a huge amount of cards (38 million noted in the video!).

"Burbank Sportscards" - 8/31/13 COVER STORY for Burbank On Demand. - YouTube

Before they moved to their new place customers use to be able to go through their boxes and pull the cards they wanted themselves. I missed doing that as I was able to look at the condition of each card and pick the best one. Now, you choose the cards you want from a computer they have set up and one of the employees goes and pulls them for you. It's less convenient but due to the volume of cards that have been produced since 2000 they have to do it this way.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
That scanner doesn't bother me. I am just glad that they now scan their cards at all!!

I went over and looked on their site. The card scans seem to no better than "stock images." Many of them crop the edges and corners off, so they're useless for determining condition.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Is it true that you can only have a certain number of cards pulled for purchase if in the store?

My friend has been there a couple of time recently says that is the case when he purchases cards i.e. $1-$2 cards.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Wow, pretty neat, thanks for sharing. My take away's are:

1. Funny to see what Steve looks like
2. I also thought the "store" would be MUCH larger but I guess it's already huge
3. That scanner is bad a$$ but just because it can scan doesn't mean it speeds up the listing process I guess - so do they have the technology which reads the cards and tells you what it is, etc.? Doesn't COMCs have something like this?

I'm curious how many cards aren't listed. The video made it sound like they have everything listed but I've heard they list like 100k cards a day or something stupid. Just curious.

nerdherd020

Feb 9, 2011
California
Is it true that you can only have a certain number of cards pulled for purchase if in the store?

My friend has been there a couple of time recently says that is the case when he purchases cards i.e. $1-$2 cards.

Not sure about a max. number of cards but I do know there is a $6 minimum purchase when buying in-store using their computer.

Last edited:

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
I have ordered from them a couple of times. They have always shipped fast and the order was correct. I mostly ordered some cards for my Cubs team sets and such. I usually order at least over $50 for the free shipping.

Members online

Latest posts