Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Photo of the day Wednesday September 25, 2013 Bombs away!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
This has to be one of the most favorite pictures I have (and it is for sale through the Hall of Fame photo archives) as I love the fact thatthis shows just how huge these WWII planes actually were.

What you see here is a WWII bomber taking one last pass over Yankee Stadium while on it's way to war. This photo was taken during the 1943 World Series at Yankee Stadium which featured the Yankees and Cardinals in the fall classic. I love the fact that this photo shows that almost every eye in the ball park was on this bomber as it passes over. The players, some with their hands on their hips have stopped the game and watched this bomber make it's way over the house that came to be known as the home of the Bronx Bombers. What makes this picture so appropriate is the fact thatthere is a large sign affixed to the upper deck encouraging everyone to buy war bonds.

I have always felt this photo was a incredible snap shot in time, with the players looking up, no doubt the crew of the plane looking down and a country entrenched in a war that the World Series could give them at least a measure of respite from the war.

StadiumsYankeeStadium1943_415468HT_AP.jpg

I apologize in advance as I know I may have posted this picture before in a different "non-photo of the day thread" but I like it so much I needed to spot light it here today. I hope you enjoy it.

Latest posts