Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Week 4 Hot and Cold List

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
Week 4 had a lot of nice match-ups resulting some very competitive games. Rookies and second year players continue to dominant the hot and cold lists which is typical in the card world. One exception is Peyton Manning where Denver fans cannot get enough cardboard of him in a Broncos uniform. Autographs of him pictured in a Broncos uniform are far and few between. They would cost a c-note or two when the season began and who knows what one would get at auction now. Another is Wes Welker who is consistently the beneficiary of Peyton's TD throws. Broncos are hot in general and Von Miller will be back after two more weeks of vacation.

Hot
Wes Welker - Bowman Chrome rookies could be had for a few bucks at the end of August. They will now cost $10 and sometimes more. That is a huge run up for a base card.
Mike Glennon - Amazing what a starting gig can do for cardboard. It looks like autos have doubled, perhaps more.
Le'Veon Bell - Pittsburgh is 0-4 but this former Spartan did his first damage of the season. A Topps Platinum swatch/auto sold for $32 versus $17 a couple days previous.
Peyton Manning (Broncos uniform) - Just about anything of Peyton with a Broncos uniform is moving. Some lower numbered parallels have at times fetched very nice hammers for sellers.
Kenbrell Thompkins - Another huge game but needs to stop the drops. It's possible he has a card depending on who is on the Finest Mystery Auto redemption.
Julian Edelman - Lots of yards. Contenders and SPA autos at least 20% higher after.
Richard Sherman - Key pick-6. His rarer second year cards are going for very nice prices since he has so few rookie year cards.
Trent Richardson - Trade to Indy and a TD in each game with new team has created renewed interest in his rookie cards. While price increases are modest, cards that failed to get bids a few weeks ago are now getting a bid or two.
Brian Hoyer - Again. Even Press Pass autos are getting decent attention now.

Honorable mention
Robert Woods - Quietly becoming a preferred target. I expect a small price bump.
Philip Rivers - 400 yard, 3 TD game should move some cards but not enough sample size yet.
Justin Hunter - 2 NFL receptions, 2 TDs. Some draftniks liked him better than his Tennessee teammate Patterson. I disagree but it is Hunter with 2 TD receptions to Patterson's one KR touchdown.

Cold
David Wilson - Nothing new here. His cards are still getting bids but the preseason hype has really cooled off along with the Giants ambitions this season.
Rueben Randle - His cards were hot for a couple weeks as the season got going and are now back to where they were before that bubble.
Doug Martin - It's not that he's having a bad season as he's near the top for yards but he is not finding the end zone and the team is in the cellar. Topps Magic autos were fetching $20 at begining of season and a few have sold in the $12-13 range lately.
Christian Ponder - Again. Barring injury to White Cassel you wonder if he made his last start for the Vikings. Base rookie cards are probably flooding the quarter boxes at shows.
Josh Freeman - As mentioned last week, it looked like he was on his way out of Tampa... at the end of the season. It looks like he is done already, with the usual injury caveat.
Chris Johnson - This is also nothing new but the past couple seasons collectors hope that spark comes back only to be sorely disappointed. You see 38 points and would pretty much assume he had a big game for a change. Nope. 15 carries for 21 yards, granted against Jets D, doesn't inspire much confidence. You can now get a Chrome auto for $10 which was a $50+ card at one time.
Geno Smith - Rookie QB prices are often quite volatile and a dud game this week after a big one last week fits the mold. He was not helped by Hill getting knocked out of the game on first possession. Some Topps Platinum cards are failing to get bids. I still like what I see in this young QB and it is worth noting, despite the turnovers, he completed 67.6% of his passes against the Titans. I am buying his cheaper Refractor cards when I can get combined shipping.

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
You mentioned Peyton which I second , but I think AP is the other established star cementing a legacy even further. Also Welker is showing that regardless of system, he's proven he can get catches and find the end zone.

The Chris Johnson decline you mentioned is a pretty deep drop. Maybe the Titans should have had him hold out longer / moved on a few years ago.

Ryan

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
I mentioned AP last week. I agree his cards are doing quite well considering the poor start of the team. Good call on Welker. I added him to the list after verifying his base Bowman Chrome is up 300% this month.

Last edited:

bmc398

May 25, 2009
I mentioned AP last week. I agree his cards are doing quite well considering the poor start of the team. Good call on Welker. I added him to the list after verifying his base Bowman Chrome is up 300% this month.

What's funny though is even though his stuff is up, its nowhere near the 2007 hype prices....which baffles me since AP had 1 mediocre year, 1 injury year....but has basically been a beast minus that. This is so strange to me. People pay crazy money for singles than drop them like a bad habit at the first sign of trouble?

Members online

Latest posts